Projector - Original lamp in generic housing?

Watch out Chinese fakes ... Particularly ones that inhabit ebay

If one explodes will take out projector. Apart from the mercury cloud creates that will be injurious for yiur health

Better optiin is to find iut which ones canbe relied upon to get actualy what paying for ...

• 2 weeks later...

Be really careful with these. I bought an "original" replacement lamp for my JVC X700 from what looked like a reputable Aussie website. Turns out, "original" doesn't mean genuine. I could tell it was different immediately on unpacking. It had half the light output of the old lamp it was meant to be replacing (so less than 1/3rd the lumens of a genuine JVC lamp). I put a report in with PayPal and received a full refund on returning the dodgy chinese rip off. Just not worth anything other than a genuine replacement lamp for a good projector.

• Like 2

One part of me sort of thinks that if you buy a new PJ, you should factor in buying a spare lamp for it at the same time, to make sure you get a proper one, not some Chinese copy

Another side of me thinks, well if I finally need to replace the original, and put in the replacement bought at the same time, and it suddenly blows....hell, I've just wasted the better part of $500 as it will be out of warranty, and I still have to buy a new lamp.

One of the tough choices you have to make as a PJ owner:(

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

One part of me sort of thinks that if you buy a new PJ, you should factor in buying a spare lamp for it at the same time, to make sure you get a proper one, not some Chinese copy

Another side of me thinks, well if I finally need to replace the original, and put in the replacement bought at the same time, and it suddenly blows....hell, I've just wasted the better part of $500 as it will be out of warranty, and I still have to buy a new lamp.

One of the tough choices you have to make as a PJ owner:(

lol yeah well they blew up before so i just bought another - cant really go back to watching small box TVs!

3 hours ago, Zammo said:

Be really careful with these. I bought an "original" replacement lamp for my JVC X700 from what looked like a reputable Aussie website. Turns out, "original" doesn't mean genuine. I could tell it was different immediately on unpacking. It had half the light output of the old lamp it was meant to be replacing (so less than 1/3rd the lumens of a genuine JVC lamp). I put a report in with PayPal and received a full refund on returning the dodgy chinese rip off. Just not worth anything other than a genuine replacement lamp for a good projector.

ok well next time i'll just buy the original genuine then thanks

25 minutes ago, joz said:

I have used aftermarket JVC globes with no ill effects and saved hundreds each time along the way.

probably well worth pointing to these joz. as always good to know of the legit ones. there is a lot of junk on eBay :D

17 minutes ago, :) al said:

probably well worth pointing to these joz. as always good to know of the legit ones. there is a lot of junk on eBay :D

Ok Ok I'll go check, grrrr!

j/k

Ok then I just checked the last one was from My Projector Lamps on ebay.

I've tried a few different ones over the years but I have found a good clean out of the reflector/mirror? inside the PJ has had an immense benefit. 

I would get the Vac in and around the unit and make sure when the globe is out that it gets a good clean.

• Like 2

Don't forget to either wash and rinse out the air filter [yes it can been done easily and without ill effect if it's a light Grey colour] or replace it [if it's really filthy ]

TBH, depending on usage, and on what lamp setting you use it on [high or low], I'd say you'd get to use up two lamps at low setting usage before something else will give out, which is usually either the power supply or the deflection board.

When that happens your PJ's likely to be close to 10 years old, so you'd be better off either replacing it, or trying to source another secondhand unit of the same and use it for replacement parts and fix yourself [not hard to do], as I don't like your chances of finding new replacement parts and getting it fixed by a tech, well not at a cost that would be worthwhile given the age that the PJ probably is.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 12/06/2017 at 4:25 PM, Happy said:

Epson tw3500. What's the best minimum to get at cheapest?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the same projector, EH-TW3500 and I've been using this for over a year and over 1000 hours now, no issue whatsoever

Genuine Epson bulb in generic housing

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Original-Lamp-w-housing-for-EPSON-EH-TW2800-EH-TW2900-EH-TW3000-EH-TW3500/281110187987

1 hour ago, liman said:

I have the same projector, EH-TW3500 and I've been using this for over a year and over 1000 hours now, no issue whatsoever

Genuine Epson bulb in generic housing

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Original-Lamp-w-housing-for-EPSON-EH-TW2800-EH-TW2900-EH-TW3000-EH-TW3500/281110187987

Thanks yeah that's what I use too was it the same as the original? I bought mine secondhand so not sure if I ever saw it throught the original.

16 hours ago, Happy said:

Thanks yeah that's what I use too was it the same as the original? I bought mine secondhand so not sure if I ever saw it throught the original.

I bought mine second hand too and the guy said he was using original genuine bulb n housing with about 1800 hours already.

I reckon the new bulb from ebay is better but only cause the existing one has gone above 1800 hours and I think it died at around 2200 hours.

For the price and to my eyes the ebay one is good enough.

I just remembered there are a few times where the screen was flickering like gone slightly dim for a second then normal again and so on and to fix it just need to switch to normal mode (from eco) for a while then switched back and all good.

This is my first projector so I don't have much knowledge and not sure if that's bulb specific issue/projector model or just normal for all projector.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, liman said:

Haha

Does yours have the greenish strip at the top and pinkish strip at the bottom?

Is yours mounted on the ceiling/wall or just on top of a shelf?

You mean on the screen? Never seen such strips.

The PJ is mounted on a shelf on the upper part of the rear wall. The screen is on a portable tripod. I actually set it up every time we watch something!

You must be pretty lucky, quite a common problem apparently

This: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1458911-epson-8100-replaced-bulb-now-pink-blue-bands.html#post22981853

So basically I need to open it up every few months and pushed this lens down til it "clicked"

Been looking to mount it either on ceiling or back wall but this problem is preventing me from doing so.

I might just DIY a wall shelf and put it there

attachment.php?attachmentid=1875137&d=14

Just replaced the lamp of my 8 years old Sony with one of those "Original lamp with Compatible Housing" from ebay for $179. It does say Philips on the lamp so I am fine with it but can't say I like the housing much. It does its job but 1 of 3 screws just refuse to tighten down. Feels like it is undersized or something. And I have to force it when pulling the housing off as if it is stuck somewhere. The original lamp came off smoothly with zero effort. Not a big deal I guess as I probably won't touch it again in the next 8 years.