SS Int amps up to $8,000

On 10/06/2017 at 2:18 PM, thimmy118 said:

Great feedback. I believe the Hegel, Simaudio and Macs are not Class D. Luxman 507 and Marantz pm 11s3 will also be added to my list.

The Parasound Halo isn't Class D either. :thumb:

Guest scumbag
1 hour ago, thimmy118 said:

Perhaps I could ask for a discount :) and come in budget.

The INT-150 is an amazing amplifier. It is essentially an X150.5 with a built-in Pass Labs preamp. I have not heard the INT-150 but I have heard the X150.5. I believe that the INT-150 differs slightly in it's character in that the X150.5 sounds very neutral whereas the INT-150 tips slightly upwards in the higher frequencies. All other characteristics of soundstage depth and width, inner detail, smoothness and bass control are there. If you are really serious about the INT-150, I would make an offer. I guess looks are in the eye of the beholder but I think it's an amazing looking hunk of metal. This one is new so it has a full warranty. I phoned Kevin and spoke to him last week about it. If you have a setup that is a little dark or polite then the extra top end energy may be great for you. I haven't heard the Dyn's so I'm not sure how they sound in the higher frequencies.

Edited by scumbag

I would consider the Dyns as 'dark' sounding when say compared to a Harbeth, which I recently heard or even to a KEF LS50, which I also heard but with different electronics to mine. The treble is smooth and does not have the brightness I find from metal dome tweeters, e.g. monitor audio and some of the older B&W which I have heard from many years ago and di not like them. I am sure things have changed but I never got back into metal dome tweeters. I must say that Class A amps suited the Dyns (Had a Jungson Pre and power with 1.3SE) and even perhaps an amp that is slightly on the bright side. Well unless I hear one personally, I can only presume/imagine how the amp would sound like with my speakers and there lies the problem...:(

Guest scumbag

Listening to one is always an issue in Australia. But here is a related thread - https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/dynaudio-c1-and-pass-amp

They are discussing the C1 with a INT-30a.The INT-30a is supposed to be the same amp' as the INT-150 except it is biased differently so instead of running class-a for abut 16watts then sliding into class-b, it essentially stays in class-a all the way. In terms of character, the INT-30a is meant to sound sweeter that the INT-150 though. But it does give some hint of how the amp' and speaker might jell.

Another one that recommends the X150.5 with the C2's. Yes, different amp' (see post above this) and different speaker but perhaps there is a similar house-sound between the C1 and C2?

Here is a test on the INT-150 for what it's worth - https://www.stereophile.com/content/pass-labs-int-150-integrated-amplifier-measurements

Anyway, enough Nelson Pass fanboyism. Who would have thought having money and options could be so hard ;) 

21 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

They do indeed.

Right up until they listen to a really good one.

Whether it's good or bad, I realised last Sunday regardless of white paper there's issues that determined a decision and it's all about preference and subjectivity.

The speakers are a huge determining point, on what Electronics will come to a harmonic marriage and then do the listening  room Housing those speakers going to sound right? 

I had a Pass Lab Aleph 2 at my place driving the Maggie 1.7 doing a shoot out with a Magtech, the room is a 4.5x 7m  and could not tell the difference between the Magtech and the Pass Lab Aleph 2.   Last Sunday we had a Pass Lab Aleph 2 driving a pair of ESL Martin Logins and there was massive diffference compared to the Magtech.  Very different presentation between the the Pass Lab Aleph 2 and the Magtech and I can see why the preference was for the Pass Lab Aleph 2 than the Magtech.  Both power amp were capable, one drove it cleanly with power to spare but had a powerful dominate bottom end over shadow that seem to masked the presentation, where the Pass Lab Aleph 2 just gave a lively presentation that's pleasing to the ear.  Now I have to ask myself why that wasn't evident when we did this with the Maggie 1.7?  

But like most things there is a concensus on forums that the Magnaplanar goes well with Sander Magtechs and Martin Logan's pair up nicely with Pass Labs.  I'd love to have a Pass Lab with a Magtech in the house, but those Pass Labs are sadly out of my pay grade.  :(

Edited by Addicted to music