Impedance match preamp and power amp?

Hi Guys

Need your help. I'm planning to purchase a pair of Magnepan 1.7i and is searching for a power amp that will match well with my Calypso tube preamp and the Magnepan 1.7i

After reading a lot of reviews, I narrowed my options down to Sanders Magtech and Pass Labs X250.5. Both are very powerful amp and should have no problem driving the Magnepan 1.7i.

However, quite a few reviewers also mentioned the importance of input/output impedance match between the pre-amp and power-amp. Unfortunately I have no knowledge in this area. I have listed below the specs for the Calypso tube preamp, the Sanders Magtech and the Pass Labs X250.5. Could you please kindly check for me if these power-amps are good match for my Calypso tube preamp impedance wise?

Also some reviews mentioned that the Sanders Magtech sounds a bit 2-dimensional...Is it your observation as well? Considering that I might upgrade speaks in the future, does Magtech work well with other speaks as well or just panel speaks?

Sorry for too many questions. I thank you in advance for your help : )

CALYPSO SPECIFICATIONS

Inputs: 5 line RCA or XLR (balanced), plus 1 tape, RCA or XLR

Outputs: 2 RCA (SE) and XLR (balanced), 1 tape RCA

Line level gain: 23 dB single ended (SE), in/out, and 29 dB balanced/out

Volume control: switched resistor network volume control with 88 1 dB steps

Front panel controls: main input, tape input select, volume, balance, phase, mute, display, and bypass

Remote controls: main input, tape input select, volume, balance, phase, mute, display, bypass and standby

Frequency response: +- 0.25 dB, 20 Hz - 20 Khz

Signal to noise: measured at 70 dB minimum, A-weighted (ref 1 mv input, 75 dB gain setting)

Line input impedance: 40 k ohms SE, 80 k ohms balanced

Maximum line input: 3.5 volts SE, 7.0 volts RMS balanced

Output impedance: 1K ohms SE, 600 ohms balanced

Recommended amplifier load: 10K ohms or greater (SE), 20K ohms or greater (Balanced)

Tubes, each channel: (line section) V1 (12AX7 or equivalent), V2 (6922/6DJ8)

Power consumption: 20 watts standby, 60 watts active

Physical dimensions: 4 3/8" high, 17 7/8" wide, 18" deep including jacks

Shipping weight: 40 lbs.

PASS LABS X250.5 SPECIFICATIONS

Class-AB

Type-Stereo

Gain (dB)-26

Full Pwr @ 26 dB gain (V)-2.24

Low Frequency Response-1.5 Hz

High Frequency Response-100 KHz

Power Output/ch (8 ohm)-250

Power Output/ch (4 ohm)-500

Distortion (1 KHz, full power)-1%

Input Impedance (SE & BAL Kohms)-30/20

Damping Factor-150

Output Noise (uV)-200

Power Consumption (Watts)-300

Temperature (deg C.)-53

Number of Chassis-1

Dimension (W x H x D) (In.)-19 x 9.2 x 21.5

Unit Weight (LBS)-88

SANDERS MAGTECH SPECIFICATIONS

Power (Stereo Version)-500 watts RMS per channel into an 8 ohm load/900 watts RMS per channel into a  4 ohm load

Bandwidth-DC through 100kHz

Class of Operation-Class AB

Slew Rate-500 Volts/microsecond

Input voltage required for full output-2 Volts

Input Impedance-100kohm (both balanced and unbalanced)

Gain-26dB 

Noise-More than 110dB below rated output

Damping Factor-Greater than 600 into an 8 ohm load

THD-Less than 0.004%, 20 Hz - 20 KHz

Voltage-Voltage is user selectable for use world-wide.

IMD-Less than 0.003%, 20 Hz - 20 KHz

Either power should work properly with your preamp. Although the output impedance is high, it is not as high as many. If you want to know which power amp is best suited to your speakers, then you should arrange to listen to both, in your system. NEVER buy an audio product, without first listening. Do not choose based on what reviewers or strangers tell you. You MUST listen for yourself. Always.  

Agree with  What  @Zaphod Beeblebrox  in the above post said.  

Youre in Sydney so you are a lot closer to Bill McLean Audio; http://www.mcleans.info/home-entertainment/home.do;jsessionid=8F9DB343B7990AE64492D2DFC33E6AAF

He will have the 1.7i and the Magtech for auditioning, and you will need to bring your Preamp on board to get a feel of that combo.  Also bring some music  thst you are familiar with.

just remember that all Magnaplanar panels need space and space from the rear wall too.  

• Like 2

Impedance match preamp and power amp?

There is no general written rule to this, but I'm on another forum that the likes of Nelson Pass and John Curl (gods or hifi) frequent, and they always say that a 10 x rule is safe to apply for no loses, between source and preamp, also between preamp and poweramp.

EG: if the output impedance of the preamp is 100ohm output impedance, then the input impedance of the poweramp should be > 1000ohms (1kohm), same goes for source to preamp.

And I've A/B'ed this, and believe they are right,

Cheers George    

Edited by georgehifi