What 'digital' have you bought today? 

I bought a second hand Yamaha CD-N301 Natural sound CD player to replace my old faithful Yamaha carousel aka, anchor weight (which has just died) that I used upstairs. While most of today's purchases were analog in nature, this unit sounds pretty good for the money, so why not a digital thread along the lines of, dare I say, analogous to the ever popular What have you bought today? for people to post their digital purchases, such as CDs, FLAC, CD players etc? [or is that just rhetorical?]. While I have sort of checked to see if such a thread existed, I couldn't find on as such. I am sure admin etal. will correct/move/delete this if this is incorrect.

PS the CD was in the tray when I connected it up to the system.

DSCN1258.JPG

DSCN1252.JPG

• Like 3

On the weekend I bought these two CDs because I like all the songs. Being compilation albums I wasn't expecting great sound, but they've both turned out to be two of my best sounding CDs. I'll tell you why. Both of them quite clearly use the original master tapes. All the hiss is present, and the AD converters they used are spectacular. Ive got the vinyl records containing most of these songs and the sound is identical but frankly better. All the deep bass and excellent sonic balance is present, but without the distortion present in all vinyl playback. I highly recommend these rare CDs if you can find them.bf353b12c4af640bee59dedde3a884bb.jpgc41823be26b3e6d6d62a1c7f52d04cbe.jpg

32 minutes ago, eltech said:

On the weekend I bought these two CDs because I like all the songs. Being compilation albums I wasn't expecting great sound, but they've both turned out to be two of my best sounding CDs. I'll tell you why. Both of them quite clearly use the original master tapes. All the hiss is present, and the AD converters they used are spectacular. Ive got the vinyl records containing most of these songs and the sound is identical but frankly better. All the deep bass and excellent sonic balance is present, but without the distortion present in all vinyl playback. I highly recommend these rare CDs if you can find them.bf353b12c4af640bee59dedde3a884bb.jpgc41823be26b3e6d6d62a1c7f52d04cbe.jpg

I will certainly keep my eye out for these, Aust gold looks like a good summation of the 1970s. Likewise Sound of the City is like a snapshot of the popular 1980s UK & Oz bands. I have a number of Blue Note & Prestige jazz compilations on CD & the SQ on both labels is great, as is the well matched track selections. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, eltech said:

If you like jazz you might get into Janne Schaffer? It's not Jazz, but he's a great guitarist.

I bought this new release last night

https://www.ebay.com/p/Janne-Schaffer-Katharsis-Earmeal-Presens-2017/234042279

thanks, i'll check it out.

• 2 months later...

The Yamaha CD-N301 is one of those rare CD player that reads toc and then park its laser at track 1 instead of track 0 like 99.999% of CD players prevalent in the market out there.

The advantage is that when play commences from track 1, the player doesn't chalk up play memory prior to playback, and for some unknown reasons, that makes sound reproduction very musical with effortless ease.

Here's how you can optimise its sound.

remove disc.

power down player.

even better, power down from the wall/distributor.

then power up again.

open tray.

load disc and close tray.

let the player read toc, park itself at track 1 settle.

press the large jog dial quickly to commence playing.

Edited by jeromelang
  • Like 1

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, jeromelang said:

The Yamaha CD-N301 is one of those rare CD player that reads toc and then park its laser at track 1 instead of track 0 like 99.999% of CD players prevalent in the market out there.

The advantage is that when play commences from track 1, the player doesn't chalk up play memory prior to playback, and for some unknown reasons, that makes sound reproduction very musical with effortless ease.

remove disc.

power down player.

then power up again.

open tray.

How is this relevant to this thread?

22 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

How is this relevant to this thread?

lt is relevant because jeromelang was commenting on my opening post to start this thread -which was about the The Yamaha CD-N301 player that  had just bought back in June. l couldn't post the purchase on the  what have you bought today  (Stevoz) thread as that is supposed to be for analouge products -so l thought a digital thread would be useful to members.

l am just happy that people are posting -as  haven't bought any CDs etc for a while to post about plus Steveoz  buys more stuff than me & curates his thread better......

On 8/19/2017 at 9:31 PM, jeromelang said:

remove disc.

power down player.

then power up again.

open tray.

thanks very much for the tip -will give it a go.

• Volunteer
19 minutes ago, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

lt is relevant because jeromelang was commenting on my opening post to start this thread -which was about the The Yamaha CD-N301 player that  had just bought back in June. l couldn't post the purchase on the  what have you bought today  (Stevoz) thread as that is supposed to be for analouge products -so l thought a digital thread would be useful to members.

l am just happy that people are posting -as  haven't bought any CDs etc for a while to post about plus Steveoz  buys more stuff than me & curates his thread better......

My apologies, I swear that your first post wasn't there when I made my comment. 

I blame the recent forum bugs or my blindness 

3 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

My apologies, I swear that your first post wasn't there when I made my comment. 

I blame the recent forum bugs or my blindness 

Not a problem. lf you are happy spread the word that is a 'digital ' purchases thread -that would be great!

Just bought a cheapo "kettle pot" powercord to feed my scd-xa9000es

heard a dealer call these thin, run-of-the-mill, origin-unknown brand powercords "kettle-pot" as they are usually supplied with household appliances.

20170819_102331.jpg

There, you see? The tail end of the kettle pot wire is feeding into the rear end of the cd player?

20170819_102355.jpg

Qualify as a "digital" purchase or not?

Edited by jeromelang

Great thread. I buy CD's from Cash Converters. Cannot resist at a buck a pop. Plenty of dross to wade through but plenty of good stuff too. I am constantly amazed at what people throw out. ( selling stuff to CC's is the same as throwing it out. They would have paid 20 to 30 cents for those Cd's). Anyway I will dig through what I have bought lately and post up some photos later.

Garage sales can be a CD goldmine sometimes. I've bought literally 100's of CDs this way. I bought a  bulk buy of 250 CDs for $150.00 (about 220 titles of interest to me, or not ones I already had) and another bulk buy of CDs without cases, in one of those folders, of 70 CDs for $20.00 (about 55 titles of interest). Most weekends I'll end up with 10 or 20 to add to the collection though. I've noticed that garage sales are no longer as good for vinyl though, unless you get there as soon as they open the sale.

Something unusual (to me) I bought a couple of weeks ago, was this System of a Down, self titled CD. The CD is black. Well actually it is a very dark purplish blue, when you shine a bright light through it. A bit like the old play station discs.sod-1.jpg.e570aa088fe86017ef7597eb7123abe5.jpgsod-2.jpg.0bcd58cf32ea2d51ffd5c4abe8d83f93.jpgsod-3.jpg.7367ce1eb23826a3731669ad6e751e99.jpg

21 hours ago, jeromelang said:

Just bought a cheapo "kettle pot" powercord to feed my scd-xa9000es

heard a dealer call these thin, run-of-the-mill, origin-unknown brand powercords "kettle-pot" as they are usually supplied with household appliances.

20170819_102331.jpg

There, you see? The tail end of the kettle pot wire is feeding into the rear end of the cd player?

20170819_102355.jpg

Qualify as a "digital" purchase or not?

yeah sure  -this is a relaxed thread space & l had to turn the house upside down to find a cord for the the Yamaha CD-N301 player as it was a demonstrator -no cord & no remote -price was OK though.