TRADE/FS: PMC Twenty.23 for ATC SCM11 (2013 version), or...

Item:  PMC Twenty.23 (walnut veneer)
Price: Trade for ATC11 latest version and stands, or $3600
Item Condition: excellent, with packaging etc. 
Reason for selling: downgrading, smaller room
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal
Extra Info: Trade my excellent condition, 1-year-old, PMC Twenty.23 in walnut veneer for a pair of ATC SCM11 (latest version) with stands, or $3600. I've moved house and the hifi is now in a smaller room and standmounts are more practical. Not interested in other speakers at this point, loyal to PMC and ATC. Speakers come with original packaging, hardware, cleaning cloth etc. Demo most welcome.

Pictures:

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

Edited by audioaddict78

Just now, audioaddict78 said:

yeah, but 19s would be too big for my room.

I have compared the Twenty.23, SCM11, and SCM19 all in the same room (about 4m x 3m) and I don't think the 19 would be any fussier about a small room.

Only difference between the 11 and 19 is a stronger bass (that isn't affected by rear walls), and a much more revealing mid range.

3 minutes ago, audio_file said:

I have compared the Twenty.23, SCM11, and SCM19 all in the same room (about 4m x 3m) and I don't think the 19 would be any fussier about a small room.

Only difference between the 11 and 19 is a stronger bass (that isn't affected by rear walls), and a much more revealing mid range.

considering a swap for your 19's? :)
...just noticed in your sig. you have the 23's too.

I'm an ATC and PMC fan also. had the scm40, scm12 and PMC T2Bi

Edited by audioaddict78

Guest ClassicalGuy

I have the current SCM19s in a room about 4x5m and while they sound unbelievable to me (and ATC will be getting more of my money), the only issue I feel they have is that they need to be played loud to get the best out of them. Played quietly they could be an old pair of B&W 600 series bookshelfs, they need the volume to come alive. Just my opinion, but might be something to consider if you're tossing up between 11s and 19s. 

3 minutes ago, ClassicalGuy said:

I have the current SCM19s in a room about 4x5m and while they sound unbelievable to me (and ATC will be getting more of my money), the only issue I feel they have is that they need to be played loud to get the best out of them. Played quietly they could be an old pair of B&W 600 series bookshelfs, they need the volume to come alive. Just my opinion, but might be something to consider if you're tossing up between 11s and 19s. 

yep, is the other reason for going for the smaller ATC, I like/need to listen at low volume and just like PMC the SCM11 are apparently better at that.

Edited by audioaddict78

Guest ClassicalGuy

As I said, just my opinion and only based on my ears, but that's how it worked out at my house. When I upgrade my 19s in my main system I had originally hoped to move the 19s into my office, but I now know that's not going to work out. I'm going to look at 11s, 7s, or maybe even the smaller Harbeths which I'm led to believe sound excellent at low levels and suit my music genre. 

1 minute ago, ClassicalGuy said:

As I said, just my opinion and only based on my ears, but that's how it worked out at my house. When I upgrade my 19s in my main system I had originally hoped to move the 19s into my office, but I now know that's not going to work out. I'm going to look at 11s, 7s, or maybe even the smaller Harbeths which I'm led to believe sound excellent at low levels and suit my music genre. 

try also PMC, they are excellent at low volume, truly, is why I strayed from ATC.

Edited by audioaddict78

13 minutes ago, audio_file said:

I have heard the old 19s needed to be played loud, but I find mine are great at low volumes. Maybe it depends on the amplifier.

Certainly a thing with the amp.

I listen to my ATC's at very low levels especially at night with too much detail and plenty of very low frequency bass.

Possible because of the ME850.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Qwertyqaz said:

Certainly a thing with the amp.

I listen to my ATC's at very low levels especially at night with too much detail and plenty of very low frequency bass.

Possible because of the ME850.

What model ATC's?

Guest ClassicalGuy
36 minutes ago, audio_file said:

I have heard the old 19s needed to be played loud, but I find mine are great at low volumes. Maybe it depends on the amplifier.

For sure, I will also be the first to admit that my listening room has terrible acoustics and I wouldn't rule out that, to my ears, volume just helps drown out the echoes. 

10 minutes ago, audioaddict78 said:

early, or later version with the metal grille? i had the early scm40, and they needed to be turned up to sound their best... that's with an ATC amp, and previous NAD 150 watt pre/power combo. 

The earlier version which is similar if not identical to the new one except for the design ( I prefer the old design) and the in house tweeter.

What this explains is the amp to speaker marriage is very essential, else you are constantly chasing the wrong thing.

7 minutes ago, Qwertyqaz said:

The earlier version which is similar if not identical to the new one except for the design ( I prefer the old design) and the in house tweeter.

What this explains is the amp to speaker marriage is very essential, else you are constantly chasing the wrong thing.

yes, i had the ATC amp, it was made for the ATC speakers, it didn't sound the best at a lower volume, nor did any amp I tried--tend to sound dry and not so dynamic, but no means bad, just not their best.  I was in an apartment block, so needed it to sound good at low volume, the PMC gave me this, with any amp. But is good you are getting that with your setup.

Edited by audioaddict78
  • Like 1

I've had scm7 (new model), scm 10 (2 pairs), scm20T, Scm20SL, Scm40 mk2 and Scm50asl. Each one performed well at low volumes but the louder they go the better they perform. Once playing loud in a listening session they can sound aenemic when turned down again.

Unfortunately that's they way they perform.

• Like 1