Trying new RCA interconnects - temp swap anyone?

Hello people. My hand-made interconnects that were lovingly made by George Secher 15 years ago are on their way out (or my hearing is, but I had that tested so it should be okay).

I have mellow tastes and am always trying to slow the system down. George knew what I was on about and got a perfect match no problem. Don't know what they were though.

I'm interested in trying Van den hul, as they seem to have a reputation for calm. The cables I have bought (without trying, duh)  as a replacement are Chord Chamelon VEE in a green colour. I find them very detailed and bright - what are your thoughts? Would anyone be interested in trying them? I don't mind putting them up for sale, it just might be easier to swap though. Other cables I have had (though for too long) are Tara Labs, and Audioquest - both of which are prob not of interest to anyone. The Chord ones are only year old, and have been in a draw most of the time, so no wear. Cheers.

System is Creek 4330 amp, Sonus faber Venere 1.5 speakers, Marantz ST 300 Tuner, Arcam CD73.

Edited by keyboardman_uk

@keyboardman_uk I've been using twisted pair of Continous Cast Copper solid core wire as interconnects (only 10cms long). I find then very neutral. I bough it off Aurealis audio. If you don't want to DIY try one of their cables. priced very reasonable & friendly to deal with.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Neo said:

Curious what Audioquest cables you have?

Neo

@Neo

They are called Audioquest Turqoise. They claim to be directional. Probably 20 years old.

@misternavi

Thanks for the info Ivan. Where are they? Also do you videography for bands? I'd like something for my Genesis tribute or a solo keyboard piece with editting (which I can't do).

Edited by keyboardman_uk
  • Like 1

I still have my Audioquest Ruby interconnects, which I got somewhere in 1994 or 1996. It was my first set of "HiFi interconnects!

I must confess that I mostly cannot hear the differences in interconnects that my wife can, but in my system they were beaten by Osborn, Neotech and XLO interconnects.

Anyway, for what our old Audioquest cables are worth, I don't think anything new at the same price will beat them.

I have been fortunate to have many different Neotech IC's through my system. I think it is one of the most underrated brands in Australia. I have not dealt with Geoff/Aurealis, but he uses Neotech and I would recommend that you talk to him as he can make something for you according to your taste.

@Neo
They are called Audioquest Turqoise. They claim to be directional. Probably 20 years old.

@misternavi
Thanks for the info Ivan. Where are they? Also do you videography for bands? I'd like something for my Genesis tribute or a solo keyboard piece with editting (which I can't do).

I'm stills but i have someone that does my motion and editing.

we'll chat about costings in private message.

Sent from my iPhone using Telepathy

Just now, Cardiiiii said:

I recommend you email Geoff at Aurealis Audio and tell him what your requirements are and I'm sure he will be able to conjure something up that suits your needs!

+1

he has a good range and will also allow you a free home trial with no obligation or pressure.  I don't know of anyone else who does that

I have a couple of sets of Van Den Hul Thunderlines which I wouldn't call bright. I'm looking at selling them, as long as you cover the post, I'd be happy enough to lend them to you for a trial first if they interest you. I'd describe them as being smooth with soft bass.

I also have chord Chameleon cables in the main system in XLR form. They are quite bright but suited nicely running into the EL34 amp.

If you can afford @Lenehan Audio's new cables at $800odd a pair, they are surreal (and where I'll be going once I sell some of these other leads etc). Definitely not bright, awesome bass and great midrange etc, just flawless.. But not cheap.

Blimey. Thanks everyone - a real result, I'm a little flattered and flustered. So unusual to get this sort of response. I will check Aurealis out as my starting point. I see that he uses Van Damme which is interesting. I have to say I am not a fan of silver at all (but maybe there is a way of making it work). Any time I tried silver in speaker cables or even just the links to the tweeters it hurt my ears. Sure the treble definition increased, but at what cost? I wonder whehter it's the same for ICs ? Guess I won't know till I try. @Gremrock

that is a kind offer and I'm thinking about it too. Price wise, if I have to hit the $150 mark, I suspect I may have gone beyond the boundaries of what my system will show up, but I guess we'll hear....

I've got some Atlas Equators you can borrow.

Can't really tell you their sound signature because i haven't compared them with any others recently, but I think they're pretty neutral.

Thanks Russ. I'd be interested to try them. Have you tried the Chord? I think they're more your taste than mine, but who knows...What else are you selling (apart from the Maggies)? I can't afford/don't haver the correct sort of wife for those.

Haven't tried the chord but happy to swap for a couple of weeks. I've got a few pairs of equators - one on the tuner which I hardly ever use these days.

The maggies are for sale but I'm in no rush, theyre sounding very nice - come and have a listen.  

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to thank Dan, and Ivan for lending me cables, which both made life easier in determining the sound I'm after, and also Bill who made a fantastic DIY cable, of which I did a lengthy review at the end of this post.

Quick review -

mil spec 18ga. silver plated telfon cable - I didn't notice them changing the sound at all, which I suppose must mean they are fairly transparent. Didn't tone anything down though, which is what I was trying to do.

Mogami - slightly muddy in the midrange, did calm things down a bit, but also made me feel a little deaf - is that technical?

Chord Cobra VEE 3 - quite bright and exciting and detailed, possibly too much for my taste.

Van Den Hul Thunderline - Really impressive at what they do. They certainly calm things down and keep it all under control. What is interesting to me is how they affect the attack of an instrument, giving you more of the tail end of the attack, rather than the very first "bite" if you like. I found them great overall, and could have got used to them over time but this slight compression I can achieve in other ways. (I am a sound engineer after all).

And finally....hope it's worth the wait.

Bill's DIY cables using a silver mix (was it Van Damme?) 

I'll try and keep my praise techinical and scientific...oh bugger that, I'm really effing impressed! I listened to a variety of tunes ranging from quite sibilant but gently well recorded stuff like Katie Melua and Joni Mitchell - then on to classical, orchestral and progressive rock varieties. They handled the material so well I don't know where to start.

I should mention at this point that I am not a great fan of silver in any cables as they tend to make my ears ring, but these seem to have the balance just right. They are revealing and seem to image perfectly correctly, but here's the important bit - they are tonally balanced. So many cables with silver push out the treble, giving you detail and image but at the expense of the tone of the instruments. Bill's don't seem to be guilty of that, if I noticed any leanness in the bass it was tiny, as to be perfectly acceptable and not something you'd ever notice unless you were quickly AB -ing cables at the flick of a switch. (which I did several times). 

I also tried them on a friends system (buddyev) and he was suitably impressed with their abilty on very difficult material using ethnic instruments. That said, he didn't find them flattering on vocals, whereas I did, in fact I found them to soften sibilance and increase the richness of tone in female voice in particular, but all voices I heard were more accurate and seemingly more engaging.

Thanks again to all the participants.

Edited by keyboardman_uk
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reviews Richard 

shows that DIY isn't dead for cables.   

If anyone want to try them let me know.  I'll send you a set.   

Would like to see how they stack up against what your using now 

Cherrs 

I'd like to thank Dan, and Ivan for lending me cables, which both made life easier in determining the sound I'm after, and also Bill who made a fantastic DIY cable, of which I did a lengthy review at the end of this post.

Quick review -
Continuous cast copper - I didn't notice them changing the sound at all, which I suppose must mean they are fairly transparent. Didn't tone anything down though, which is what I was trying to do.

Mogami - slightly muddy in the midrange, did calm things down a bit, but also made me feel a little deaf - is that technical?

Chord Cobra VEE 3 - quite bright and exciting and detailed, possibly too much for my taste.

Van Den Hul Thunderline - Really impressive at what they do. They certainly calm things down and keep it all under control. What is interesting to me is how they affect the attack of an instrument, giving you more of the tail end of the attack, rather than the very first "bite" if you like. I found them great overall, and could have got used to them over time but this slight compression I can achieve in other ways. (I am a sound engineer after all).

And finally....hope it's worth the wait.

Bill's DIY cables using a silver mix (was it Van Damme?) 

I'll try and keep my praise techinical and scientific...oh bugger that, I'm really effing impressed! I listened to a variety of tunes ranging from quite sibilant but gently well recorded stuff like Katie Melua and Joni Mitchell - then on to classical, orchestral and progressive rock varieties. They handled the material so well I don't know where to start.

I should mention at this point that I am not a great fan of silver in any cables as they tend to make my ears ring, but these seem to have the balance just right. They are revealing and seem to image perfectly correctly, but here's the important bit - they are tonally balanced. So many cables with silver push out the treble, giving you detail and image but at the expense of the tone of the instruments. Bill's don't seem to be guilty of that, if I noticed any leanness in the bass it was tiny, as to be perfectly acceptable and not something you'd ever notice unless you were quickly AB -ing cables at the flick of a switch. (which I did several times). 

I also tried them on a friends system (buddyev) and he was suitably impressed with their abilty on very difficult material using ethnic instruments. That said, he didn't find them flattering on vocals, whereas I did, in fact I found them to soften sibilance and increase the richness of tone in female voice in particular, but all voices I heard were more accurate and seemingly more engaging.

Thanks again to all the participants.

just so you know I didn't give you the continuous cast copper wire as what i had was too short, i gave you the mil spec 18ga. silver plated telfon cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Telepathy

7 minutes ago, misternavi said:

@keyboardman_uk nothing fancy like OCC copper the mil spec wire is about $1 a metre.

@Bill125812 Hi Bill, what is this cable you made?

Hi Ivan

Based on Van Damm cable.  Copper and silver combo 

I can send you a set if you would like to try them 

it's a free offer.    Just want some honest comments back 

Cheers 

Edited by Bill125812
  • Like 1