Harte light from IKEA

8 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

They could be giving them away, still no way I'm going into that maze of hell that is called ikea !

I went to the Springvale store, followed the sign indicating the entry, walked the maze not to find anything, found someone to ask directions only to be told that lighting is on the lower floor, so had to navigate another maze to get them.  They should provide motorised scooters (which they would probably call "Skoutjrs", please add the accents to the letters).  By the time I left I had fogotten to pick up the cattledogs I had been asked to collect. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, audiofeline said:

I went to the Springvale store, followed the sign indicating the entry, walked the maze not to find anything, found someone to ask directions only to be told that lighting is on the lower floor, so had to navigate another maze to get them.  

Any store that results to such underhand tactics to try to trick me into buying something I don't need will never get my business.

• Like 1

There are escape routes - doors that make short cuts, although they do blend into the furniture.  Knowing that escape is possible, does help compensate for the fact that they break my #1 rule for shopping:

If you can't see daylight from inside, then don't go in. Just don't.

• Like 1

There are escape routes - doors that make short cuts, although they do blend into the furniture.  Knowing that escape is possible, does help compensate for the fact that they break my #1 rule for shopping:

If you can't see daylight from inside, then don't go in. Just don't.

Or you can just follow the arrows.

I went to Springvale IKEA there is an employee standing at the entrance (always near the escalator) and just ask her where is lighting department n got the direction. Walk for 5 minutes literally follow arrow until im at the lighting department and get the lamp. Its not rocket science

• Like 1

• Volunteer
14 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

I went to Springvale IKEA there is an employee standing at the entrance (always near the escalator) and just ask her where is lighting department n got the direction. Walk for 5 minutes literally follow arrow until im at the lighting department and get the lamp. Its not rocket science

yes but the checkout is only accessible by crossing the lake of fire (just left after soft furnishings), avoiding the drool infested children's furniture section and buying some flat-packed meatballs in the canteen.

OMG I need a stiff drink just thinking about it

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've always regarded the IKEA store as being the ultimate expression of the "Gruen Transfer", where the store is designed to so disorient the customer  in spatial terms, that the only means of getting the hell out of the building is to buy something on the often fruitless basis that having been bought something, the friendly sales staff  would direct you to the nearest  exit. Personally, the only time I go to IKEA is when I've run out of pencils. Despite all the ongoing human rights violations, IKEA represents one of the world's few remaining resources for free pencils.

This week I encountered a profile in bravery, perseverance and courage the like of which I have seldom encountered in this life. Some months ago as a result of Davids post (@BJD), I purchased a couple of these lamps with a view of incorporating them with my turntable controller is a combination precision strobe and queueing light. When I saw the post in this thread telling me that the same lamp was now $10 off, I thought you beauty! I'll have 10!

So I called IKEA and told them that I want to buy 10 of these lamps. At no time during the conversation did they indicate that the purchase limit was two per customer. With a cut off deadline for this special offer looming, I called @andyr and asked if he could pop over to IKEA and grab me 10 lamps. He agreed.

On arrival at the IKEA store, Andy was made aware of the two items per customer restriction on the offer, not wanting to make a fuss, Andy opted to do five circuits of the IKEA store buying two lamps per circuit, and I ask you, can there be any greater service in the field of audio that an individual person can aspire to?

Thanks Andy,

Steve

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Oops as OP I havent visited here in  Yonks <is Yonks no longer a word ?< probably now a registered IKEA product name

"David, Thanx for the "heads up" on the Harte Lamp, I've included it into the Turntable Control Instrument package as the cueing lamp / precision strobe light.

Well Spotted!"

ive done something useful ... in audio design .....! Can’t be true 

whens the speed controller debute?

im expecting free drinks at the launch

i see several of our sociopath nembers suffer from Ikea rage syndrome it’s a sub species of Stockholm syndrome but works in reverse ie you hate the feared institution.@Sir Sanders Zingmore 

@Zenmeister could explain more scientifically 

@andyr  @Number 9 @ericd

Edited by djb

was there at IKEA the other day

come across several items with audio applications - wife thinks i have a problem or something 

I had to go back against the flow a few times. i was looked upon as some time lord who could magically come and go as I pleased; not subject to the inescapable glacial tide that is your only hope to navigate the Gruen maze

• Like 1

On 01/06/2017 at 6:39 PM, djb said:

I have just set up an IKEA Harte light for my TT and am very happy with the result @Hergest mentioned the light here some months ago.

I suspect it is marketed as a bed book light 

it is constructed from a single tube a little thicker than a pencil with:

1 a triangular shape base 

2 a 55cm vertical length that can be shaped to a wide variety of positions

3 the last 12cm  contain  a set of bright white led lights 

4 the light is powered from a USB charger (not supplied ) or your computer

4.1 the light is very bright and shines forward making it easy to see TT tonearms and head shells

5 the cable has an on off switch about 30cm from the base 

5.1 total cable length is approx  1.8 meters

6 comes in a variety of colours 

7 cost $20 

@jamesg11 saw it in position today he might care to comment

djb's seen the light... at last! Just the ticket for stylus cueing I'd say.

11 hours ago, wasabijim said:

was there at IKEA the other day

come across several items with audio applications - wife thinks i have a problem or something 

I had to go back against the flow a few times. i was looked upon as some time lord who could magically come and go as I pleased; not subject to the inescapable glacial tide that is your only hope to navigate the Gruen maze

mate of mine goes for the Blanda Matt bamboo salad bowls, available in 20 or 24cm diam, a little woodworking later and two glued together make an ideal spherical enclosure for say, a 3 or 4 inch Fostex!

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/00214341/

regards Ian

• 2 months later...