StereoCoffee LDR Owners & Discussion Thread

12 hours ago, Full Range said:

I think I will give a coffeeLDR a go 

But will need a unit with more inputs and output 

I assume that I need to make contact to ask for any changes ?

I believe Chris can add as many input/outputs as you need. He is also working on remote control.

Send him an email. By the way I am just a happy customer but keep in touch with Chris to give him feedback so he knows how the SC performs on different systems.

• Like 1

I think I will give a coffeeLDR a go 
But will need a unit with more inputs and output 

I assume that I need to make contact to ask for any changes ?

Hi, I ordered 6 inputs and 2 outputs with the remote control board. Chris is genuine gentleman and he responds to queries within no time. He even help me to reduce cost on power supplies. Cheers, Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I'm just using the budget MX Shure with a Project preamp. Wait till you hear it. The original SC was really good but the latest one will make you wonder how the performance it possible. 
I am sitting hear right now listening to Spotify Premium and perhaps it's fractionally less detailed then audio files or CD's I find my jaw dropping in disbelief every time I press play. Hence, I tend to stay up too late frequently now.
My perception of 'low cost' sound has been shattered and I now realise that less components in the signal chain can and does give more accurate reproduction with quality speakers.

Hi Rob,
Yes if you can reduce number of components in the signal path that is the best. You could hear exact recorded material. Only draw back if your source (recorded material) is bad then you have to put up with it. No artificial sound.

I use SET 1.5 amp-pure class A and much better than push pull. Driving single 110db drivers in a horn loaded cabinet- no cross overs.

Only limitation is it goes down only up to 45hz, but clean bass. Sometimes I use my sub for extra kick, but without that it is much better.

Now it's awaiting time. I am sure I will have late nights when I get my unit.
Cheers,
Tom

• Like 1

22 hours ago, singleendedamp said:

Hi Rob,
Yes if you can reduce number of components in the signal path that is the best. You could hear exact recorded material. Only draw back if your source (recorded material) is bad then you have to put up with it. No artificial sound.

I use SET 1.5 amp-pure class A and much better than push pull. Driving single 110db drivers in a horn loaded cabinet- no cross overs.

Only limitation is it goes down only up to 45hz, but clean bass. Sometimes I use my sub for extra kick, but without that it is much better.

Now it's awaiting time. I am sure I will have late nights when I get my unit.
Cheers,
Tom

If you are like me you will go through your favourite tracks like a kid a lolly shop and it's likely you won't even recognise half the tracks because of what you have been missing. Bass is tight, accurate and very dynamic with the new SC. You will notice badly recorded material but because of the 3d soundstage you will get to appreciate what the engineer is trying to convey. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, singleendedamp said:

Hi Rob, any update on new power supply board?

I have placed an order for one of these units 

One of my requests is an internal power supply 

From what I can see is - 

Currently the power supply PCB board is set up to be supplied by an external 15V regulated power supply 

But that same power supply PCB board - if fitted with a toroidal transformer plus associated rectifier  parts -  it is then converted to a regular power supply and can be connected to 240V 

But the chassis needs to be larger to fit this extra hardware in 

My board for active current control is the latest 15 volt board, the same as yours but it requires an external 15 volt supply.

Chris is also building me a new 16 volt linear mains powered supply for my Auralic Mini that I can also use for the StereoCoffee.

Wait till you have built it. You are in for a treat.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is his email address dbxrecord@gmail.com

I had one about the same era as yours. I found the latest control and power board upgrade is head and shoulders over the previous ones which I didn't think possible. You will be amazed at the difference.

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by robmid
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve.

When I am testing boards Chris just makes a pencil sketch. 

I would as Chris if I were you. Some of his earlier instructions were very confusing but they have been updated about 12 months ago, but a couple of connections have been eliminated.

Cheers,
Rob

So I finished the stereo coffee preamp today. Chris is an absolute champion and is very helpful over email. I'm a complete noob so this was a steep learning curve for me.  I've probably made all sorts of beginner errors.

How does is sound?  Well after about an hour's listening.....bloody good!   I need to get a better power supply but I'm looking forward to spending some more time with this little fella and compare against my current preamp.

20171230_140255.thumb.jpg.1a11844c29d05206cfe00a3354685673.jpg20171230_140600.thumb.jpg.e0574ebc4e07105f74335491d41583b4.jpg 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I have tested several versions of the regulator board and power board. The difference between versions amazed me. The latest boards sound much more open and have excellent bass weight and dynamics.

I was puzzled when Chris said his new power board improved the sound. It DOES and the improvement in sound quality is very obvious, not subtle.

My KEF LS50's are very nimble and probably emphasise the improvements more than some others but I have just built a set of Rob Mackinlay's 505 panels and I can promise you are in for some musical enjoyment you would have thought impossible. Chis fine tunes his upgrades using Quad ESL's.

On my last communication with Chris about my build 

He indicated that he had a few builds to complete prior to starting on my unit ( but have placed no pressure on him for speed ) 

This new control board development may be a delay for the better ?

I have read that one will always receive the latest version or update of components when placing orders 

I like the way one can update with little effort 

So I await the next communication from Chris and an update on progress 

11 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

@Full Range You mean for kit purchase recently? so he make it on order? I thought it's ready kit :)

Originally I was going to purchase a kit and build it 

But because I wanted a few extras we came to an agreement and decided to pay Chris to build the whole unit for me