Leinster Lad

Donald Fagen, The Nightfly.

Posted (edited)
On 30/03/2018 at 4:52 PM, arthur63 said:

Anyone heard both the 2010 & 2012 pressings:

2010 https://www.discogs.com/Donald-Fagen-The-Nightfly/release/3790203

2012 https://www.discogs.com/Donald-Fagen-The-Nightfly/release/6077530

Purchased a new copy from a 'reputable' ebay seller, the listing stated release year 2012.

Looked for this version after reading good reports from the Steve Hoffman forums http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/new-donald-fagen-the-nightfly-180g-vinyl-release.286018/

The record arrived this week and I was curious to confirm that it was the correct version as it didn't feel like 180grams (not that I'm a fan of heavier pressings).

When I compared the run out matrix of my copy to the Discogs entry for the 2012 pressing, low and behold the details didn't match.  What the... something's fishy here.

Checked other versions on Discogs and found that my copy is the 2010 pressing.

Hence the question, anyone familiar with both the 2010 & 2012 pressings, am I missing out on better SQ by not having the 2012 copy?

My copy sounds pretty good, quite detailed and wide sound stage and very quiet pressing.

Only thing the bass is a bit thin, not sure if this is typical of the original recording - post #13 & 29 from Steve Hoffman mentioned better bass on the 2012 pressing.  Got turn up the level of the subwoofer to get a bit more bass and body to the sound.

BTW, I can't justify paying the exhorbitant price for the MFSL release.

Also, contacted the ebay seller to point out that their listing was incorrect, advertising the 2012 pressing and supplying the 2010 pressing instead. Even included links to the two Discogs pages.

Received two cryptic responses from them, going around in circles.  Looks like getting them to acknowledge that they are falsely advertising a product may be too hard - also might be the case sending it back for a refund.

I'm going to send them one more email to see what they say.

Usually, I don't give negative feedback but I'm very inclined to in this case.

You will find the 2010 and 2012 pressings are from the same master and plates mastered for vinyl by Chris Bellman at Burnie Grundman mastering.

2010 is pressed at Record Industry in Netherlands and 2012 at Optimal in Germany. Both excellent pressing plants - Optimal 180gm always seems to feel slightly heavier than Record Industry.  The weight of the record has ZERO to do with the sound quality.

Personally given the choice , I would prefer the 2010 remaster as the pressing plates would in theory be closer to the mother stamper plates and will sound better.  That is sound closer to what is on the master tape.

I have an original German pressing of this album and it does not have fat bass or too much body - it is a tight sounding digital recording.

Are you missing out on sound quality?  I would say no.

Cheers

Edited by metal beat

I reckon this is a really good sounding CD.

220px-Donald_Fagen_-_Kamakiriad.jpg

What's the vinyl like?

On ‎5‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:46 PM, metal beat said:

You will find the 2010 and 2012 pressings are from the same master and plates mastered for vinyl by Chris Bellman at Burnie Grundman mastering.

2010 is pressed at Record Industry in Netherlands and 2012 at Optimal in Germany. Both excellent pressing plants - Optimal 180gm always seems to feel slightly heavier than Record Industry.  The weight of the record has ZERO to do with the sound quality.

Personally given the choice , I would prefer the 2010 remaster as the pressing plates would in theory be closer to the mother stamper plates and will sound better.  That is sound closer to what is on the master tape.

I have an original German pressing of this album and it does not have fat bass or too much body - it is a tight sounding digital recording.

Are you missing out on sound quality?  I would say no.

Cheers

@metal beatthanks for your opinion, after a few plays I've got used to the SQ of the record.

The main thing was the ebay listing stated it was the 2012 release I was supplied the 2010 release.

I was p-ssed off the seller either didn't care or understand that there could be differences between two releases, maybe not with The Nightfly.

Yes, CB (Chris Bellman) is etched on the run-out of the 2010 release and I agree even though it's stated to be 180gm it feels lighter.  Besides I'm not sold on heavy weight vinyl.

3 minutes ago, arthur63 said:

thing was the ebay listing stated it was the 2012 release I was supplied the 2010 release.

Was there a reason why you chose flea-bay over discogs ?

On 05/04/2018 at 8:52 PM, LogicprObe said:

I reckon this is a really good sounding CD.

220px-Donald_Fagen_-_Kamakiriad.jpg

What's the vinyl like?

The vinyl is exquisite

40 minutes ago, Leinster Lad said:

Was there a reason why you chose flea-bay over discogs ?

If I purchase from ebay it's because of the photos, esp important to see the condition when it's used / second hand.
Have bought from discogs occasionally, luckily no issue with the seller's grading.

3 hours ago, Leinster Lad said:

The vinyl is exquisite

Damn you!

Now I'll have to get it!