Donald Fagen, The Nightfly.

On 14/01/2018 at 8:43 PM, Road Kill said:

Just ordered the Cheap Xmas box set.Reviews are positive.

Any one have a set?

Mine arrived from Amazon.UK this morning.

Delivery  took  3 weeks.  AUD$139.50 delivered.

https://www.discogs.com/Donald-Fagen-Cheap-Xmas-Donald-Fagen-Complete/release/11249512

Initial observations;

Well made box(slip case)  and the art work is original and sharp.

The 5 albums are in their standard release individual sleeves.

"Sunken Condos" is a double album and is a gate fold.

"Morph The Cat" is a double album, with both records in individual inner sleeves, but sharing the same outer sleeve.

Sleeves are very good quality card and the artwork on them is also very good.

Records are NOT on poly sleeves, just straight into the card inner sleeve.

I have put mine into  MA Recordings Sleeves.

and they fit perfectly into the inner sleeves.

Records are flat and centred, and very very quiet. Not even a crackle on the lead in !

Spun up "NightFly" first, and it is truly superb.

Listening to Kamakiriad right now, stunning.

The clarity and depth of the bass on "Morph the Cat" is very cool !

I am not expecting any "surprises" with any of the other records in this set, but I will report back if there are any.

Conclusion?

excellent packaging and SQ  and well worth the money.

Do yourself a favour....

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

Edited by Leinster Lad
photos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, charlie_bird said:

Ok, I'm a sucker for a box set. I do already have sunken condos & morph the cat on reprise records, but but just pulled the trigger on this box set. I take it the reprise pressings are the same as what is in the box set?

Not sure about the Reprise angle, but I know you will not be disappointed with the presentation or the SQ.

I managed to listen to all 7 records today (kids at school, missus was out) and I was blown away by the quality of this set.

The pressings are some of the best that I have ever hear on my system, and well, you know, Don is THE man !

His musical perfection is clearly on display.

This one is a keeper :wub:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Leinster Lad said:

Not sure about the Reprise angle

From what I read on the internet today, it seems they will be duplicates. Still a very good value box set and really looking forward to listening to the records. Pretty much worth the price to get a new copy of Kamakiriad and also the bonus disk.. 

The mofi makes my respectable Japanese pressing sound like a pale imitation!
Worth every cent! [emoji4]

Good to hear. I’m excited by the tech. Less so by the releases so far. Not that I don’t like the music they’ve released, it’s just that I can only justify the big spend if it’s an album I love ( or want to love) ha ha
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, unclemack said:

$139 ( AUD Delivered) for 5 Albums ( 7 records ) places each record at the $20 dollar mark.

Absolute bargain considering the overall presentation and stunning pressing and sound quality.

Agree about the MoFi issue.

I think I'll keep mine sealed and play the speculator market :thumb:

Edited by Leinster Lad

$139 ( AUD Delivered) for 5 Albums ( 7 records ) places each record at the $20 dollar mark.
Absolute bargain considering the overall presentation and stunning pressing and sound quality.

Agree about the MoFi issue.
I think I'll keep mine sealed and play the speculator market :thumb:
You only have 1 copy?? - oh my!! [emoji53]
Fund the one you play with the other sealed copy! [emoji6]
  • Haha 1

Thanks for heads up, I ordered the cheap Xmas box set from amazon uk. Look forward to it turning up :)

got a couple of Japanese but not all in this collection so will be worth getting for me :thumb:

15 hours ago, unclemack said:

Wonder how The Nightfly compares to the MoFi one step issue.

I have the original MFSL half speed master Nightfly from the 80s and I thought it sounded great. However when I compare it to the MFSL one step version of the Nightfly, it's like chalk and cheese. I can rant and rave as to how good the one step version is, but you really need to hear it to appreciate how good it sounds.

On 07/02/2018 at 12:03 AM, :) al said:

Thanks for heads up, I ordered the cheap Xmas box set from amazon uk. Look forward to it turning up :)

got a couple of Japanese but not all in this collection so will be worth getting for me :thumb:

gosh... I dont know what happened there, i ordered it wed late last week and its turned up today ? ! although ordered it amazon its turned up from amazon DE. those efficient germans :)

39509715704_972133bc0e_b.jpg

what a nice set ! am impressed for the money :party

• Like 2

9 hours ago, t_mike said:

Can't find it for less than $180 Australian now. :(

mine was amazon uk and 77 GBP which is approx $137 say $138-9 with their usual overseas bank charge :)

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 8.36.58 am.png

just took a screen shot, looks like still there at the price ? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone heard both the 2010 & 2012 pressings:

2010 https://www.discogs.com/Donald-Fagen-The-Nightfly/release/3790203

2012 https://www.discogs.com/Donald-Fagen-The-Nightfly/release/6077530

Purchased a new copy from a 'reputable' ebay seller, the listing stated release year 2012.

Looked for this version after reading good reports from the Steve Hoffman forums http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/new-donald-fagen-the-nightfly-180g-vinyl-release.286018/

The record arrived this week and I was curious to confirm that it was the correct version as it didn't feel like 180grams (not that I'm a fan of heavier pressings).

When I compared the run out matrix of my copy to the Discogs entry for the 2012 pressing, low and behold the details didn't match.  What the... something's fishy here.

Checked other versions on Discogs and found that my copy is the 2010 pressing.

Hence the question, anyone familiar with both the 2010 & 2012 pressings, am I missing out on better SQ by not having the 2012 copy?

My copy sounds pretty good, quite detailed and wide sound stage and very quiet pressing.

Only thing the bass is a bit thin, not sure if this is typical of the original recording - post #13 & 29 from Steve Hoffman mentioned better bass on the 2012 pressing.  Got turn up the level of the subwoofer to get a bit more bass and body to the sound.

BTW, I can't justify paying the exhorbitant price for the MFSL release.

Also, contacted the ebay seller to point out that their listing was incorrect, advertising the 2012 pressing and supplying the 2010 pressing instead. Even included links to the two Discogs pages.

Received two cryptic responses from them, going around in circles.  Looks like getting them to acknowledge that they are falsely advertising a product may be too hard - also might be the case sending it back for a refund.

I'm going to send them one more email to see what they say.

Usually, I don't give negative feedback but I'm very inclined to in this case.

Edited by arthur63

@arthur63  The seller deserves negative feedback if they don't give you a straight answer.:thumb: Re: the bass. I have read that some people believe the original pressing is a bit light on but I have a German 1st pressing and have not found this to be the case. I hear lovely full but tight bass. Sorry but I can't assist you with a 2010/2012 comparison.:)

Edited by stevoz

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, stevoz said:

@arthur63  The seller deserves negative feedback if they don't give you a straight answer.:thumb: Re: the bass. I have read that some people believe the original pressing is a bit light on but I have a German 1st pressing and have not found this to be the case. I hear lovely full but tight bass. Sorry but I can't assist you with a 2010/2012 comparison.:)

After sending 3 messages to the seller I got no satisfaction, so for the first time in my ebay dealings I have given negative feedback.  The 80 characters ebay allows for comments wasn't enough for me to express my unhappiness with the seller.

• Like 1