Donald Fagen, The Nightfly.

This one is going to be huge ! Have always loved the depth and warmth of this album.

Pure genius from Donald Fagen.

About to be released by Mobile Fidelity The Nightfly

Mastered from the Original Master Tapes our One-Step Process: The Nightfly UD1S 45RPM Box Set Is the Ultimate Analog Version of Donald Fagen's 1982 Landmark Debut

Lavish Packaging Includes Opulent Box and Special Foil-Stamped Jackets: Deluxe Audiophile Pressing Strictly Limited to 5000 Numbered Copies

My copy is on order !

MFSL45UD1S-003-2.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Wow! They really sting you with shipping. 

Anything out of the US is insane and ...............well.............this is a " Lavish Packaged Opulent Box " !!  Probably with priority , insured, signed for Express as the no option too.

(Don't forget to do the currency conversion too.)

Sorry for the crap OP.  I hope you do really enjoy your investment.

Edited by eman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, eman said:

Anything out of the US is insane and ...............well.............this is a " Lavish Packaged Opulent Box " !!  Probably with priority , insured, signed for Express as the no option too.

(Don't forget to do the currency conversion too.)

Sorry for the crap OP.  I hope you do really enjoy your investment.

Understood, but at today's exchange rate it comes out to $240AUD delivered.

Also very tempted to commit to buying a copy but I baulked at $48 or so for shipping. @Zen Mister was saying to put in a request for a quoted price on normal post in comments on order form.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I have this on LP and CD. Both sound superb to my ears, and can still be found relatively cheaply. The ultimate version of this album would be the original digital data as a hi-res download. Maybe that is what is on the  dvd-a release?

--Geoff

• Like 1

You might also try the Mofi  website. You have to click on one of the FedEx choices, but you can request a USPS quote in the comments. The USPS price usually related to the size and weight of package, so if this is a larger than normal issue in special packaging, it will obviously cost more than a single album.

I love this album too and have a superb sounding UK original. I'm sure the new MOFI will sound excellent but getting up after every second song to turn the record over would turn it from an enjoyable relaxing musical experience to more of an aural laboratory exercise for me.

Saying that I'm sure there will be a few eye opening moments during the record's play.

• Like 1

Pass.    I have a suspicion that the eq for this release will be different to the original release.   IMO -  some other Steely Dan albums deserve this treatment as they have some much more to give sonically speaking.  ;)

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly - original German pressing and Steely Dan - Gaucho - original US pressing

Interesting that its always Nightfly that comes as a great recording from audiophiles - probably that it was recorded 100% digital.
While Nightfly sounds good - Gaucho sounds better in almost every respect. it has bass, equally as clear in the top end and tonally has some meat on the instruments.

34935701915_98fbd6898d_b.jpg

34092753124_25f7c5554c_b.jpg

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 5

Just bought a UK pressing of this for $18 (posted) in 'excellent' condition.......I'm with @metal beat on this one. I don't get too excited about MOFI releases anymore after I bought the B52's 'Wild Planet' on MOFI and it was totally beaten by my original Oz pressing for dynamics and detail.....admittedly, it wasn't an 'Original Master' release though, just a 'Silver Label' release, but it was disappointing.....I also have the original US release of Gaucho and yes, it's a cracker.:thumb:

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 4

the nightfly is one of those recordings that is hard to muck up.

even the plain aus pressing sounds great.

my fav is the 2002 dvd-a .

for you dan fans - the robert ludwig/masterdisk early us pressings of gaucho and greatest hits are superb.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, michaelw said:

the nightfly is one of those recordings that is hard to muck up.

even the plain aus pressing sounds great.

my fav is the 2002 dvd-a .

for you dan fans - the robert ludwig/masterdisk early us pressings of gaucho and greatest hits are superb.

Agree with you US pressing on gaucho.

Migrating to Europe many years ago, my original pressing of Nightfly and Dan's Can't buy a thrill, were nicked I would guess by some light fingered but music loving Customs officer.....prick.

As a matter of interest, can anyone identify the differences that determine Nightfly being a Fagen album as opposed to a Dan album?

2 hours ago, ALLTHUMBS said:

As a matter of interest, can anyone identify the differences that determine Nightfly being a Fagen album as opposed to a Dan album?

2 hours ago, michaelw said:

no walter becker

;)

Correct, no Walter Becker but remarkably the same.....:P:D

Edited by stevoz

12 hours ago, stevoz said:

Correct, no Walter Becker but remarkably the same.....:P:D

the nightfly is much more cheerful and optimistic than anything the dan did.

:D

nz/aus lp, german target cd, us dvd-a ....  i might need a few more ...

DSCF6507.JPG

Edited by michaelw