Guest scumbag
1 minute ago, gemini07 said:

I

Anyway, hopefully Darkest Hour and Churchill will be improvements...

Whilst visually it is in some ways similar, the Darkest Hour movie is different a beast. And I think it will give you some of the "behind the scenes" that you crave. Though again, there are over-dramatisations and inaccuracies, but movies are meant to be entertainment after all, not documentaries, and they need to get bums of seats.

29 minutes ago, PKay said:

After seeing the movie I was grateful that I was born in a different time.

It really brings home how awful and savage war really is. If only the decision makers actually went into the front lines. 

Can you think of a time when the 'decision-makers' ever went into the front lines? Or allowed any of their family to do so?

I dare say that if we made that mandatory, there'd be a lot more negotiations struck before anything serious ever happened. 

And I also suggest GW Bush would have re-considered his various statements about WMDs, especially if he had to go there and point out the locations he 'knew' existed himself....

Guest scumbag
4 minutes ago, gemini07 said:

Can you think of a time when the 'decision-makers' ever went into the front lines? Or allowed any of their family to do so?

I dare say that if we made that mandatory, there'd be a lot more negotiations struck before anything serious ever happened. 

And I also suggest GW Bush would have re-considered his various statements about WMDs, especially if he had to go there and point out the locations he 'knew' existed himself....

There were exceptions : http://warfarehistorynetwork.com/daily/wwii/frontline-general/

Apparently the last documented case of a General killed in frontline combat occurred in Vietnam. 

Guest scumbag
3 minutes ago, gemini07 said:

'.. they need to get bums of seats....'

:lol:!

I resent that insinuation....  :)

I meant arses but if the shoe fits. :ninja:

Edited by scumbag

1 minute ago, gemini07 said:

'.. they need to get bums of seats....'

:lol:!

I resent that insinuation....  :)

present company excepted. I went and saw it and enjoyed it very much, haven't been called a bum for at least an hour.

• Like 1

Watched it recently, and I was blown away by some of the cinematography! Incredible. Some dodgy aspects, but hey it's for entertainment right. I can't say I was a fan of some of the background music though, I gues it was to build suspense, but some it just annoyed me.

2 hours ago, blonk said:

I can't say I was a fan of some of the background music though, I gues it was to build suspense, but some it just annoyed me.

Yes, I agree now thinking about it, it was to the point where it was very noticeable.  I find good background music builds suspense without drawing attention to itself.

Guest scumbag
1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

Yes, I agree now thinking about it, it was to the point where it was very noticeable.  I find good background music builds suspense without drawing attention to itself.

I thought the soundtrack was a highlight. I have the OST in my collection. Hans Zimmer at his finest IMHO.

http://www.goldderby.com/article/2017/composer-hans-zimmer-dunkirk-christopher-nolan-blade-runner-2049-video-interview-news/

Edited by scumbag

I dunno what I really thought about this one, extremely different style of movie making. Bloody tense.  

But I agree about Tom Hardy’s miraculous never ending gliding plane………………………

It seemed a somewhat unique style of movie and the tension was worth the price of admission. I give it two thumbs up.

Some of the best sound and vision production wise I've ever heard and seen through my system.

Edited by Satanica
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, BuffySlayer said:

Liked the film, but can't stand Nolan's film making style of changing the aspect ratio. Ruined Interstellar imo also. 

Didnt notice it so much in Dunkirk tbh, but yes, was very distracting in Interstellar

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Watched this the other night. I really think that Nolan is a genius. This is not cineplex fodder. It is a considered, beautiful film. Zimmer’s score was sublime and his fusing of Elgar into the score just made it more so. Minimal dialogue and a great cast. Wonderful, adult cinema. (Not “adult” cinema...).

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Watched this on Netflix this weekend.  Yeah, that was a good movie in my opinion.  Lovely cinematography, and the way the music worked in the film... yep.  The watch ticking while Hardy's character was thinking about fuel was just icing on the cake.  

Definitely going to get the blueray.

Just started watching it as you guys are reporting good things about it :)

Only watched a little as the bloody phone rang so going to log out of here an switch the blood phone off :lol:

Edit: Excellent movie

Edited by Muon N'

• 1 month later...