Just now, :) al said:

@scumbag there you go. good on you for checking out as well, is this off the CD sound track ? 

Yes it was. It reports -0.2dB peak which is technically not clipping but there must have been some shenanigans going on in the mastering as it sure as hell sounds odd when I play that track through my system.

On 11/12/2017 at 1:44 AM, Sir Triode said:

Watched it tonight and while it was very well made - edge of your seat stuff. What ruined it for me was the last part of the movie where Tom Hardy glides his plane in (with no fuel) at low altitude, shoots down a diving Stuka while doing so and then glides quite a fair distance before landing it on the beach (first cranking down the landing gear - no hydraulics ). That was just too far fetched to be believable. Even Tom Hardy's character shooting a flare into the cockpit (in a plane now empty of fuel) and it going up in flames is a bit of a stretch. Why don't writers check with aviation experts before writing such cockamamie scenes?

The use of a Spanish Buchon in place of B109s wasn't that bad but they could have at least used CGI to modify the looks of the Buchon to make it look more like a 109. 

Shooting down the Stuka while gliding with no fuel was far from believable, and I didn't know that metal frame could burn so quickly with just a flare!   :D

The scene where he finally glides that spitfire across the beach was iconic, such a magnificent scene. 

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

Shooting down the Stuka while gliding with no fuel was far from believable, and I didn't know that metal frame could burn so quickly with just a flare!   :D

The scene where he finally glides that spitfire across the beach was iconic, such a magnificent scene. 

I think that sums up the movie for a lot of people. Some silly and obvious mistakes coupled with an incredible homage to the Spitfire.

And Tom Hardy.

great article here!

Dunkirk: Wrangling Two Large Formats

https://ascmag.com/articles/dunkirk-wrangling-two-large-formats

< Christopher Nolan’s desire to make sure that Dunkirk proved to be “the highest resolution feature film ever made” — as the director says in AC’s August cover story — required intense support from postproduction facilities Imax Post/DPK and FotoKem. Those companies were responsible for processing or manipulating hundreds of thousands of feet of 15-perf 65mm Imax and 5-perf 65mm motion-picture film and helping to shape it into a 1-hour-and-46-minute epic that has since been released in multiple formats — including, in about 100 theaters nationwide, 15-perf 70mm Imax. >

I saw it last night.  Good timing for me, I've just finished the 1970's documentary "The World At War", which I thought was brilliant.  So, for what should have been such an emotional movie based on an incredible true event, I found it lacking in emotion.  Add in the typical Hollywood blah and I thought it was an okay film.  I'm happy I watched it, but couldn't sit through a second time.

Now everyone has to watch the companion piece entitled "Darkest Hour" ;)

WWII ended 73 years ago.  It never ceases to amaze me how much content it still provides for Hollywood.  There's Dunkirk, Darkest Hour and Churchill floating around just at the minute...

Interestingly Gary Oldman, whom I'm a big fan since Dracula, turned down the role of W. Churchill in Churchill, but played him in The Darkest Hour.

8 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

WWII ended 73 years ago.  It never ceases to amaze me how much content it still provides for Hollywood.  There's Dunkirk, Darkest Hour and Churchill floating around just at the minute...

Interestingly Gary Oldman, whom I'm a big fan since Dracula, turned down the role of W. Churchill in Churchill, but played him in The Darkest Hour.

I'm amazed there haven't been more movies about what would have happened if we'd lost. I've been playing through at the Wolfenstein games. Me loves killing Nazi's I do.

3 minutes ago, scumbag said:

I'm amazed there haven't been more movies about what would have happened if we'd lost. I've been playing through at the Wolfenstein games. Me loves killing Nazi's I do.

Yes, true, the mind boggles at the possibilities...

Imagine no more! 

Achtung - 18+ only!

Edited by scumbag

1 hour ago, scumbag said:

Imagine no more! 

Achtung - 18+ only!

Worth playing? Do you need to play the whole series or can start from the latest one?

I'd  recommend chronological order. Decent story lines and great weapons. 

4 hours ago, scumbag said:

was flicking through amazon i noticed as series they are running

the man in the high castle...

apparently based on award winning novel done by ridley scott and what it would be like if germany and japan wont the war and rules the us. 

no idea what its like or whether worth watching...