Jump to content

Recommended Posts

"If someone made a film with the same impact of say the battle of Long Tan I wonder if the reaction of Australians would be different to those of other upbringings? "

 

Sadly in in these days of political correctness and perhaps our own sense of history or. Interest in such recent history - can we make movies about war other than Gallipoli. I doubt it would get made.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last week I visited the Melbourne IMAX projection room. The 1570 version (being a mix of 15/65 and 5/65 original) is mostly full frame IMAX with some 2.2:1 stuff. The 15/70 stuff looks great. The 5/70 not so great. The 8K laser DCP is similar. As for your local multiplex, DVD, BLU RAY or HD4K it will be letterboxed with I suspect some pan and scan in there. Bummer. (By the way I'm not sure if this post should go in TV, Radio & Movies, what do you think?, maybe wrong Forum)

20170720_204012.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy what Christopher Nolan does as a film maker,and this movie was no different for me. The cinematography was superb,and the tension created by the musical score like wise. It also shows you don't need a love story or 50 million pages of dialogue to get your point across. A smart film well made,a must on the big screen for war/history buffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/08/2017 at 7:45 AM, Blk plastic said:

I enjoy what Christopher Nolan does as a film maker,and this movie was no different for me. The cinematography was superb,and the tension created by the musical score like wise. It also shows you don't need a love story or 50 million pages of dialogue to get your point across. A smart film well made,a must on the big screen for war/history buffs.

Agree re the soundtrack. I had to keep consciously trying to relax. Not had that experience for an entire movie before. Exhausting. Cinematography sublime. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I thought it was a rather bland movie to be honest. Not  that it was produced in a way that made it that way. The story just didn't do much for me. I think they told the story as best as they possibly could though, and it was presented beautifully. It just wasn't for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2017 at 6:04 PM, cafe67 said:
"If someone made a film with the same impact of say the battle of Long Tan I wonder if the reaction of Australians would be different to those of other upbringings? "
 
Sadly in in these days of political correctness and perhaps our own sense of history or. Interest in such recent history - can we make movies about war other than Gallipoli. I doubt it would get made.  

 


Interestingly enough, 1979's The Odd Angry Shot did well in the cinemas as I recall. Possibly having Graham Kennedy in the lead helped it along. However, coming less than a decade after the conclusion of the Vietnam War its message was not all gung-ho (ho, ho, Ho Chi Min?), in fact, unless my memory is really faulty, it was quite the opposite, showing the way in which the troops at the sharp end were pretty much left in the dark and were treated as pawns in the bigger game.
It did I think reflect the general public mood of the time. Having only seen it the once I may be looking back in error and I am happy to be corrected.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

 

Edited by JukKluk2
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JukKluk2 said:

 

 


Interestingly enough, 1979's The Odd Angry Shot did well in the cinemas as I recall. Possibly have Graham Kennedy in the lead helped it along. However, coming less than a decade after the conclusion of the Vietnam War its message was not all gung-ho (ho, ho, Ho Chi Min?), in fact, unless my memory is really faulty, it was quite the opposite, showing the way in which the troops at the sharp end were pretty much left in the dark and were treated as pawns in the bigger game.
It did I think reflect the general public mood of the time. Having only seen it the once I may be looking back in error and I am happy to be corrected.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

 

 

I thought that was a porno?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So recently I was invited to see Dunkirk at my local multiplex. Enjoyed the movie a lot. Compared to the IMAX 15/70 version that I viewed some time ago it fell short on looks. It looked to be 1.85:1 ratio. (just a bit out of the IMAX frame) It lacked the grandeur of IMAX, particularly the aerial shots. Call me old school, I liked the bit in the credits where it  says "shot and finished on film"

So we have shot on 15/65 and 5/65 film, lots of craft and scullduggery in effects and editing then down rez it for my enjoyment. Hmmmm?

The IMAX film version craps over the 2K DCP version and probably the 4K version.

120 years and film is still busting a movie! (sorry). 

IMG_0889.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Watched it tonight and while it was very well made - edge of your seat stuff. What ruined it for me was the last part of the movie where Tom Hardy glides his plane in (with no fuel) at low altitude, shoots down a diving Stuka while doing so and then glides quite a fair distance before landing it on the beach (first cranking down the landing gear - no hydraulics ). That was just too far fetched to be believable. Even Tom Hardy's character shooting a flare into the cockpit (in a plane now empty of fuel) and it going up in flames is a bit of a stretch. Why don't writers check with aviation experts before writing such cockamamie scenes?

 

The use of a Spanish Buchon in place of B109s wasn't that bad but they could have at least used CGI to modify the looks of the Buchon to make it look more like a 109. 

Edited by Sir Triode

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sir Triode said:

Watched it tonight and while it was very well made - edge of your seat stuff. What ruined it for me was the last part of the movie where Tom Hardy glides his plane in (with no fuel) at low altitude, shoots down a diving Stuka while doing so and then glides quite a fair distance before landing it on the beach (first cranking down the landing gear - no hydraulics ). That was just too far fetched to be believable. Even Tom Hardy's character shooting a flare into the cockpit (in a plane now empty of fuel) and it going up in flames is a bit of a stretch. Why don't writers check with aviation experts before writing such cockamamie scenes?

 

The use of a Spanish Buchon in place of B109s wasn't that bad but they could have at least used CGI to modify the looks of the Buchon to make it look more like a 109. 

Ah, the perils of being an historical airplane buff! I didn't pick up the issues with the plane types but I agree the gliding scene seemed more like a fantasy homage to the spitfire (or maybe Tom Hardy) than anything else. My theory is the flare was so effective due to the vapour of manly aftershave in the cockpit. 

The soundtrack is very powerful when played at cinemagraphic volumes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inaccurate in detail I'm sure but for the first time  ! family history came to light that Grandfather was steering a RN destroyer. Since it was a real ship it attracted air attacks.  The captain stayed ashore in the UK after the first of half a dozen runs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This film has a mixed bag as reported, two odd things stood out for me so maybe being just a bit picky, in some early shots of planes going into the sea they show correctly that the weight of the engine makes them stand  tail up in the sea till they sink but a major part of some scene has it floating flat for ages, then the closing scene shows a shaft holding the prop in place while the plane burns, no such shaft should be there only an engine. But some striking 4 k images non the less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I watched the uhd blu-ray version,

 

232286-L-HI.jpg

 

was well worth watching. from the outset the imagery is amazing ! audio wise even though not atmos or 3D audio its quite enveloping with upsampling with neural - X. scenes like the dogfights you feel right in the cock pit ! 

 

audio wise I did feel a bit like nolans other film interstellar. and overwhelming film score is used to same effect.

 

actually to the point i felt at times a bit over the top. Nolan is on record on saying he wanted this film to be LOUD. to the point of overwhelming as thats what war is like.

 

at times it did go to far...with sound ending up sounding a bit stressed and forced. unfotunately as can be seen in the full film waveform for the movie dunkirk as can be seen in the red sections the audio across left, centre, right and LFE channels clips regularly though the movie. which is a real pity as explains why comes across really loud and forced in those sections. and also ultimately also limiting overall movies dynamics.

 

ahcOuo1.png

 

otherwise a movie i enjoyed all way through, there are some wonderfull moments eg the spitfire gliding in silence at the end.  as a movie something will watch again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually without having done a spectral analysis of the CD I'd guess from listening to it that it is getting into clipping at some points. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just downloaded a free tool and loaded up "Variation 15" which is the track which sounded like it was close to clipping:

image.png.3aff9a9b020c3b231cdebb4669dc9a61.png

Yicks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...