Rock Grotto Upgrade for Musical Fidelity

I have received the Little Pinkie SE Power Supply:  http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/pinkiev2.htm for my MF X-CAN V2 headphone amp. Had it for a day or so before I sent the X-CAN and the Mike Grierson's Rock Grotto upgrade kit: http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/v2upgradekit.html off to Melbourne for Mark Houston (SNA member) to do the installation.

Before I sent the X-CAN south, I had a chance to have a bit of a listen. Well, what a difference the Little Pinkie made to the X-CAN.....there was always a bit of harshness in the treble, but that was completely removed, and further, the sound really opened out, with lots more finesse than I had ever heard before.

BTW, I'm  using Sennheiser HD600 headphones for these observations.

Mark Houston has completed the installation of the upgrade kit, as well as installing new valves and ceramic valve sockets, which I also ordered from Rock Grotto, I should have the X-CAN back with me on Monday next, so I'll then post my impressions here.

151009-musical_fidelity_xcan_v2_headphone_amplifier_see_photo.thumb.jpg.ee5c8c28a50e68da064312b429219316.jpg

• Like 1

I will be interested in the difference in sound before and after upgrades. MusicOne went the full upgrade wich included diodes and tube sockets. I wouldn't suggest you try the upgrade if you haven't worked a lot with an iron and PCBs. There is a lot to upgrade. 

• Like 1

I received the X-CAN back from Mark @mwhouston , yesterday and last night I had my first listening session, which unfortunately was constantly interrupted by knocks at the door, phone calls, etc. I can't really say what the eventual sound will be like, because the sound was constantly changing as the night wore on and the unit burned-in. There's obviously a long way to go with the burn-in, but when I first listened, the sound was very good indeed, but as I said, the sound kept changing (for the better, naturally) as time went by.

I'll give it a few more days for the unit to settle down and then I'll post my impressions. Mark Houston has obviously done a first class job with the upgrade.....absolutely no glitches or issues at all.....thank you Mark.:)

• Like 1

OK, so just been listening to the final two movements (4 & 5) of the Boston Symphony Orchestra with Seiji Ozawa playing Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique....an SACD remaster of the 1973 Quadaphonic recording.

pentatoneptc5186211.jpg.b703b46dadd9a0e806fb63fc6d852b94.jpg

This recording simply has to be live, or the recording was made in one take, leaving all of the errors and mistakes in place. But believe me, that does not detract one iota from the experience.....indeed, if anything it adds to it. Hearing it on the upgraded X-CAN is nothing short of breathtaking. What a sound!!!! ....and that bass....rock solid. WOW....loving it....just about the best audio dollars I've ever spent.:):):)

Will post some more in the next few days, along with some pics.

Edited by MusicOne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Batty said:

My v3 is fully upgraded less the valve sockets, I couldn't see any gain with them.

Don't know about the V3, but Mike Grierson (Rock Grotto) advised me that the original sockets were plastic and somewhat inferior, so he recommended the ceramic sockets (as well as new valves) as worthwhile upgrades.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MusicOne said:

OK, so just been listening to the final two movements (4 & 5) of the Boston Symphony Orchestra with Seiji Ozawa playing Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique....an SACD remaster of the 1973 Quadaphonic recording.

pentatoneptc5186211.jpg.b703b46dadd9a0e806fb63fc6d852b94.jpg

This recording simply has to be live, or the recording was made in one take, leaving all of the errors and mistakes in place. But believe me, that does not detract one iota from the experience.....indeed, if anything it adds to it. Hearing it on the upgraded X-CAN is nothing short of breathtaking. What a sound!!!! ....and that bass....rock solid. WOW....loving it....just about best audio dollars I've ever spent.:):):)

Will post some more in the next few days, along with some pics.

Any future upgrades just went up by 50%. Lol.

Great to hear it was all worth it. It wasn't a walk in the park to do the upgrade but I love to hear it has been appreciated. Yes I thought the bass rock solid too from my brief listen. 

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 1

I went the full works with my X-CAN V3 and think they make a significant improvement on the stock version. Having all the mods done at once, it's hard to say what was most effective but I have listened with the wall wart and Little Pinkie and thoroughly recommend the power source upgrade - either Pinkie or PSU if you can find one.

I also have a second x-CANS V3 with a Pinkie but no internal modifications for my PC - the works version is superior for soundstage, dynamics and clarity.

They drive my HD650's beautifully. 

Happy listening.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...