Home Network Question

I have a friend who is a bit confused (as am I) about whether a mobile phone connected to a home network, acts as a device only (while on that network), or are the downloads to that mobile phone charged for by the mobile phone’s carrier as well (in this case, Optus)?

To me, it would be the home network’s ISP which is providing the downloads and charging, accordingly. It seems to me that if the mobile phone’s carrier was also billing her for these downloads, then she would in effect be paying twice for her downloads.

Just to clarify....the home network she is connecting to for these internet downloads, is not hers, but another of her friend's.

I hope I have explained things clearly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yes you are correct. The phone should automatically switch over to local wifi connection when in the house. You can see the icons on the phone using wifi. The way to test is to switch off mobile data on the phone and should still be able to browse/download on the phone. When you go outside it should disconnect until you switch the mobile data back on.

• Like 2

It depends how the homework is connected to the internet, via a fixed plan eg a monthly fee with a certain data allowance. However if your homework is connected via a 4G mobile network with a small data allowance, than you are paying a higher price per megabyte.

If the mobile is connected to homework while at home, than you should pay whatever amount per megabyte download set by the plan. I always ensured I am connected to my homework when possible chase I am on unlimited data allowance plan. Hope this helps.

7 minutes ago, Sirmorebeer said:

It depends how the homework is connected to the internet, via a fixed plan eg a monthly fee with a certain data allowance. However if your homework is connected via a 4G mobile network with a small data allowance, than you are paying a higher price per megabyte.

If the mobile is connected to homework while at home, than you should pay whatever amount per megabyte download set by the plan. I always ensured I am connected to my homework when possible chase I am on unlimited data allowance plan. Hope this helps.

Not really.  @SteveC is correct, which still applies to what you're saying @Sirmorebeer , but you've confused the issue by referencing how the home network accesses the internet.

38 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Not really.  @SteveC is correct, which still applies to what you're saying @Sirmorebeer , but you've confused the issue by referencing how the home network accesses the internet.

What sort of assumptions are you making on the OP home network?  Shared 4G SIM plan on a wireless network? Sperate mobile wireless network? Granted we assumed user knows how to connect to homework. In this case she or he probably forget to connect to homework that's all.:)

WiFi has priority over 3g/4g (mobile network) however recent iPhone have wifi assist, which means if your wifi signal is poor and the mobile network is better the device will use the mobile network. This will need to be turned off to avoid bill shock.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Sirmorebeer said:

What sort of assumptions are you making on the OP home network?  Shared 4G SIM plan on a wireless network? Sperate mobile wireless network? Granted we assumed user knows how to connect to homework. In this case she or he probably forget to connect to homework that's all.:)

Assumming just over complicates the matter, which is what is happening here again...

I'd imagine @dolphy and @SteveC have answered the OP.  :)