Sign in to follow this  
Upfront

Dark MoFo Hobart

I moved to Hobart about this time last year and being from Perth (WA, not just south of Launceston!) I had never heard of Dark MoFo. We only managed to catch "The Feast" last year but this year we are trying to see much more.

This year we are off to see Paul Kelly perform and hoping to catch a couple of other shows. Definitely going to The Feast again! Anyone else heading to Hobart for the featival?

Linc - do the Winter Solstice Swim.

We were there last year and intended to get the wick wet but some scalp treatment intervened ( no, not a brain transplant) and the mix of post storm water in the harbour and stitches was not an option.

I think ULVER are the guest band this year. If you visit Music Without Frontiers,  which I think from memory, is up Elizabeth Street, he has the best music selection in the universe, and more decent PROG than you could shake your wick at.

Billy.

Edited by Zen Mister

Linc - do the Winter Solstice Swim.
We were there last year and intended to get the wick wet but some scalp treatment intervened ( no, not a brain transplant) and the mix of post storm water in the harbour and stitches was not an option.
I think ULVER are the guest band this year. If you visit Music Without Frontiers,  which I think from memory, is up Elizabeth Street, he has the best music selection in the universe, and more decent PROG than you could shake your wick at.
Billy.

The winter swim!?!?!? Your a brave man! I think my important bits would shrivel up inside myself!
I'll check out the record store. Thanks for the tip. We are spoiled for choice here in little old Hobart. We have some very good record stores.

Paul Kelly, Ancient Rain tonight. Can't wait!6b68887d2f8d487689baa90fc4eb053b.jpg75ba1ab2a1fc9c77c061dfdba37ee690.jpg

On 6/10/2017 at 2:54 AM, Upfront said:

Paul Kelly, Ancient Rain tonight. Can't wait!6b68887d2f8d487689baa90fc4eb053b.jpg75ba1ab2a1fc9c77c061dfdba37ee690.jpg

Lucky Bastard 

Lucky Bastard 

Its on through to next weekend mate. You still have time. Think yourself lucky you dont have to fly here. Nearly 900 bucks from Sydney this weekend and about 700 from Melbourne when I looked the other day. Huge crowds at "The Feast". I'll be heading to that next for some home grown goodness!

Camille O'Sullivan was amazing at the concert tonight. She has an amazing voice. Very capable. From soft and sensual, to gritty torturous passion. Loved it. I've not heard of here before but I'll certainly be looking of for her in the future. She's (warning bad example to follow!) maybe a cross between Melissa Ethridge and Janis Joplin.

I just got back from this years Dark Mofo. Second time I’ve been and absolutely love it!

its my fourth trip to Hobart now and it’s nightlife, bar and cafe culture are getting better by the year. Super impressed!

Also, narrowly missed a gangland shooting. Didn’t expect that down there! 🤣🤣🤣

I just got back from this years Dark Mofo. Second time I’ve been and absolutely love it!
its my fourth trip to Hobart now and it’s nightlife, bar and cafe culture are getting better by the year. Super impressed!
Also, narrowly missed a gangland shooting. Didn’t expect that down there! 🤣🤣🤣
Even gangland shootings are done politely down here mate. They waited till the place was closed so no one was disturbed!

What did you manage to see?

My partner and I more than likely walked straight the perpetrator moments before we jumped into our Uber ride. Heard loud bursts of bullets. Would have been 50-100 metres away. 

I was just there last week also, hymns to the dead (Batushka my God...) and electric wizard, plus some other bits and pieces, a tiny amount of beer and whiskey...

My partner and I more than likely walked straight the perpetrator moments before we jumped into our Uber ride. Heard loud bursts of bullets. Would have been 50-100 metres away. 
Wow! Just in time then by the sounds of it. Nice to be headed the other way in that case. Very unusual thing to happen here.
Apart from that did you enjoy your stay?

I was just there last week also, hymns to the dead (Batushka my God...) and electric wizard, plus some other bits and pieces, a tiny amount of beer and whiskey...
Some very strange events on. Some have been absolutely brilliant. One thing you can be sure of is they are always very different.

MONA museum during dark MOFO. Awesome.

35819557_1011582178998618_2297122602105176064_n.jpg.cbe2894735c570d6e5a3ad6b2f36cc0f.jpg

2 hours ago, Upfront said:

Wow! Just in time then by the sounds of it. Nice to be headed the other way in that case. Very unusual thing to happen here.
Apart from that did you enjoy your stay?

Absolutely! Always do. Great place and great event.  

2 hours ago, Upfront said:
10 hours ago, blackangus said:

Some very strange events on. Some have been absolutely brilliant. One thing you can be sure of is they are always very different.

Agreed! Seen some eccentric and brilliant things in my visits. 

I was there for the 2016 Mofo and saw Chelsea Wolfe at the Odeon Theatre. My lord, I didn’t think it were possible for such bass to be created! Wickedly awesome gig. 

Both visits I’ve made a point of seeing the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra and it’s always a highlight. 

Agreed! Seen some eccentric and brilliant things in my visits. 
There is always something different around the corner here. Sometimes it's that land that time forgot other times it's incredibly progressive.

I was there for the 2016 Mofo and saw Chelsea Wolfe at the Odeon Theatre. My lord, I didn’t think it were possible for such bass to be created! Wickedly awesome gig. 
Both visits I’ve made a point of seeing the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra and it’s always a highlight. 
We have a couple of members that are involved in the TSO. Also some retired performers. Incredible dedication.

Would love to live in Tassie one day but have family stuff locally just now. :/

18 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Would love to live in Tassie one day but have family stuff locally just now. 😕

I’m right there with you! 

Too much fighting against any feasible opportunity or possibility. 

I’ve convinced myself that I’ll retire there. Which will be great seeing as by the time that rolls around there will be no more crude oil and subsequently (at the moment anyway) no alternative for travel, so I’ll have my little corner of the world all to myself. Perfect retirement! 🤣🤣🤣

Would love to live in Tassie one day but have family stuff locally just now. :/
It's my favorite place.

I’m right there with you! 
Too much fighting against any feasible opportunity or possibility. 
I’ve convinced myself that I’ll retire there. Which will be great seeing as by the time that rolls around there will be no more crude oil and subsequently (at the moment anyway) no alternative for travel, so I’ll have my little corner of the world all to myself. Perfect retirement! 🤣🤣🤣
Retirement here was always my plan too. I'm not close to retirement unfortunately but I'm already here. Good place to bring up kids.

They caught the gentleman that interrupted your evening Saturday.