Darryl

The Duntech Speaker Thread

Nice looking speakers.

Perhaps they would sound better without all the hardware in the way though :-)

The Audio Engineering Society (Adelaide section) tonight. 

"Loudspeakers and the Time Domain Jack Davis FIEAust, CPEng, AES member St Pauls Creative Centre, (downstairs) Cnr Pulteney & Flinders St Adelaide 7:30pm, Tuesday April 16 th 2019. Join us for a cook's tour of Pulse Coherent Loudspeaker design with Jack Davis, former R&D Manager for Duntech Audio. In this talk Jack will take us through the journey that an aspiring loudspeaker designer would pursue if they wanted to achieve an accurate loudspeaker. The talk starts with the notion of what an accurate loudspeaker might be like and then follows the various problems that would have to be overcome and possible solutions that would have to be devised in the process of developing an accurate loudspeaker. The hypothetical walk through of the design process covers actual problems that arose during the development of the various Classic Series loudspeakers in the late 90's and how they were overcome using the tools and techniques of that time. Jack is currently a Lead Systems Engineer at Raytheon supporting project System Design and Analysis activities. He has held various other positions since his time at Duntech. He graduated from University of Calgary with Bachelor of Science Degrees in Physics and Mechanical Engineering"

Wow! would love to see that!!. Any chance of videoing the presentation?

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, vur said:

The Audio Engineering Society (Adelaide section) tonight. 

"Loudspeakers and the Time Domain Jack Davis FIEAust, CPEng, AES member St Pauls Creative Centre, (downstairs) Cnr Pulteney & Flinders St Adelaide 7:30pm, Tuesday April 16 th 2019. Join us for a cook's tour of Pulse Coherent Loudspeaker design with Jack Davis, former R&D Manager for Duntech Audio. In this talk Jack will take us through the journey that an aspiring loudspeaker designer would pursue if they wanted to achieve an accurate loudspeaker. The talk starts with the notion of what an accurate loudspeaker might be like and then follows the various problems that would have to be overcome and possible solutions that would have to be devised in the process of developing an accurate loudspeaker. The hypothetical walk through of the design process covers actual problems that arose during the development of the various Classic Series loudspeakers in the late 90's and how they were overcome using the tools and techniques of that time. Jack is currently a Lead Systems Engineer at Raytheon supporting project System Design and Analysis activities. He has held various other positions since his time at Duntech. He graduated from University of Calgary with Bachelor of Science Degrees in Physics and Mechanical Engineering"

I'd love to come. I took  over Jack's job at a consultancy at Vipac  when he first moved onto Duntech. It was from a goodbye BBQ for him that I first liked the idea of Duntechs and finally got my Crown Princes 25 years later! I just need to shift things around to get there. 

Edit.... I'm going if anyone else is interested in a lift from southern suburbs. 

Edited by christosd

Date now set for Senator Audition, see updated thread.

Hi and apology to anyone viewing the video of the AES Duntech presentation..  Another person I sent the file to found it stopped after ~ 25 minutes.  I just checked and it is the same for me too. According to my device the file was "modified" i.e. finished at 20:47 which is as I expected and after the presentation ended so I don't know where the rest is.
It is 96.8 MB.      If you have a clue about this, please let me know. Meanwhile I'll be onto google about it as the device I used was a chromebook.

1 hour ago, vur said:

Hi and apology to anyone viewing the video of the AES Duntech presentation..  Another person I sent the file to found it stopped after ~ 25 minutes.  I just checked and it is the same for me too. According to my device the file was "modified" i.e. finished at 20:47 which is as I expected and after the presentation ended so I don't know where the rest is.
It is 96.8 MB.      If you have a clue about this, please let me know. Meanwhile I'll be onto google about it as the device I used was a chromebook. 

To bad it ended short, was a good presentation.

Posted (edited)
On 09/01/2019 at 5:47 PM, tosk said:

Hi Guzzista, and all

I'm new here and have an ME850 driving a pair of Marquis PCL500' both in need of a little TLC but nice to listen to non the less.

I would be very interested in auditioning the new Duntech speakers.

Thanks.

@tosk see the GTG thread mate, audition for the new Senator Signature Series is on at my place Sunday the 26th of May from 2.00pm, Helensburgh.

Edited by Guzzista

Though members might like to see some images of a private listening room in Hong Kong featuring the new Duntech Senator speakers.....

IMG_4580.JPG

IMG_4581.JPG

IMG_4583.JPG

IMG_4582.JPG

Hmm.   I wonder if consideration has been 

3 hours ago, Guzzista said:

Though members might like to see some images of a private listening room in Hong Kong featuring the new Duntech Senator speakers.....

IMG_4580.JPG

IMG_4581.JPG

IMG_4583.JPG

IMG_4582.JPG

Hmm.   I wonder if consideration has been given to acoustic absorption on the wall behind the equipment (as recommended by John Dunlavy) and also putting a mirror on the floor to determine where the speaker image (as seen from the listener's ears position) occurs. Then put e.g. a rug on the floor over the area. The floor looks so shiny that a mirror may not be necessary. I see a curtain by the window which can be drawn to reduce reflection which is good. Is there similar on the opposite wall? 

In the last picture, under the wall sockets, what is that box with the black shiny top?

On 17/05/2019 at 3:58 PM, vur said:

In the last picture, under the wall sockets, what is that box with the black shiny top?

Do you mean the box on the bottom shelf, if so that is the outboard crossover for the speaker.

It looks like it is on the floor & has an orange or light brown end.   There's a chunky white plastic thing on the side

18 minutes ago, vur said:

It looks like it is on the floor & has an orange or light brown end.   There's a chunky white plastic thing on the side

I am guessing it could be a data port, but I can find out and get back to you.

25 minutes ago, Guzzista said:

I am guessing it could be a data port, but I can find out and get back to you.

It would be appreciated.  It is so huge.   I'm wondering if it is a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) in an audiophile no-expense-spared case.