Duntech Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi Kiat , fellow members of this forum , 

In the old Princess C5000 was Solen caps used as well ? It would be easy for me to open mine and check but I’m afraid to do so because I might damage something. 

Thanks in advance, 

2C604A5C-80F1-4FCC-A103-211754961381.jpeg

Hello 930

The crossover is directly behind the terminal plate. Once you remove the plate, the crossover could probably be held by a screw. Simple remove the screw and the crossover can be easily withdrawn from rail.

It is quite likely your crossover uses Solen Capacitors. Solen is just a rebranded SCR capacitors, Made in France. SCR is a major manufacturer, supplying parts to the French TGV. SCR also rebrand their capacitors for many other "High End Capacitor" brands. I know I have seen them changing printer heads and the production process continued.

Do not worry about your Solen Capacitors or SCR capacitors. But be aware that there are many Solen knockoffs selling from Asia. BTW, if anyone chooses to use Solen, be aware Solen also have some capacitors Made in Canada and they are much cheaper than the French made ones. I have not tested them and do not know how they sound. I heard a rumour and this is just a rumour that you can buy "Solen" capacitors that are Made in China. I am sure Solen would be interested if anyone pick up some of these "Solen" capacitors.

Edited by Kiat
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kiat said:

Hello 930

The crossover is directly behind the terminal plate. Once you remove the plate, the crossover could probably be held by a screw. Simple remove the screw and the crossover can be easily withdrawn from rail.

It is quite likely your crossover uses Solen Capacitors. Solen is just a rebranded SCR capacitors, Made in France. SCR is a major manufacturer, supplying parts to the French TGV. SCR also rebrand their capacitors for many other "High End Capacitor" brands. I know I have seen them changing printer heads and the production process continued.

Do not worry about your Solen Capacitors or SCR capacitors. But be aware that there are many Solen knockoffs selling from Asia. BTW, if anyone chooses to use Solen, be aware Solen also have some capacitors Made in Canada and they are much cheaper than the French made ones. I have not tested them and do not know how they sound. I heard a rumour and this is just a rumour that you can buy "Solen" capacitors that are Made in China. I am sure Solen would be interested if anyone pick up some of these "Solen" capacitors.

I would be very surprised if a C5000 used any solen "knock off" caps Kiat!

• Like 1

I have come across capacitors  that were fitted to a crossover network ( to improve it !)  ,  that had an almost identical appearance to the   'Solen'  polypropylene capacitors. They were marked as 9mfd,  + - 5% Type PB900, 150 v AC 250V DC. They measured 3.8 mFd and tested as bi-polar electrolytics: faulty ones  to boot. There was a giveaway visual indication in that the encapsulated ends were coloured red instead of  light grey.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VanArn said:

I have come across capacitors  that were fitted to a crossover network ( to improve it !)  ,  that had an almost identical appearance to the   'Solen'  polypropylene capacitors. They were marked as 9mfd,  + - 5% Type PB900, 150 v AC 250V DC. They measured 3.8 mFd and tested as bi-polar electrolytics: faulty ones  to boot. There was a giveaway visual indication in that the encapsulated ends were coloured red instead of  light grey.

YIKES! I've never seen that, but it doesn't surprise me. Counterfeiting plastic caps would be more profitable than counterfeiting power semiconductors. And, in that sense, I've seen counterfeit $2.50 MOSFETs and $4.00 BJTs. A $10.00 capacitor could be a very lucrative thing to counterfeit. 

56 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

The value of the capacitance, the type of capacitor, and where it is put in the circuit. ..... is 10,000x more important than the "brand" or price of the capacitor.

Yes I totally agree with you!, but when you have accomplished that, it’s nice to put nice quality caps in.

7 minutes ago, t_mike said:

I'd still like to know what the original spikes looked like on my Barons.

I am not sure the current owner of Duntech would be much help as the Baron's were made a while ago now, I have googled to hell and back and cannot see an example of spikes on the Baron models from above the speaker base. I can only imagine the spikes were an ad on for standing on carpet and if there is a recess for them under your speaker foot then just improvise... my 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all, my first post here.

Recently i acquired a set of Dunlavys SC-II and i am quite a fan of the "house" sound.

I am keen to upgrade to a bigger model and used Duntechs (princess, baron) come by much more often here in the EU.

It seems that most of Duntech speaker units (Morel, dynaudio,..) used foam suspension instead of rubber which means they will almost definitely need replacing at some point (in this respect i was lucky with my SC-II, their rubber has minimal signs of deterioration).

--> Is there any reliable stock of units in the EU, or at least proper suspension materials?

--> From a technical point of view, is it better to replace a unit with a new/used in better condition or professionally repair the suspension and retain the matching of original parts that Mr. Dunlavy did during manufacturing?

Of course, if there is any owner in the EU that wishes to sell, please feel free to PM me!

Elias

Duntech makes it big in Hong Kong, review of Senator speakers just published (wish I could read Chinese ? ), hopefully I will have a translation of the review soon.

IMG_4301.JPG

duntech audio technique review.jpg

Edited by Guzzista
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Guzzista said:
Duntech makes it big in Hong Kong, review of Senator speakers just published (wish I could read Chinese [emoji846] ), hopefully I will have a translation of the review soon.

IMG_4301.thumb.JPG.5b1d6f057bab6389812608c9e388db43.JPG
2033024361_duntechaudiotechniquereview.thumb.jpg.98e50cf735f021ad602cf3322cc20cc0.jpg

Apparently, it was a flaming good review. IMG-20190202-WA0001.jpeg

Edited by Silver Audiophile