wooferocau

Duntech Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Main Dynaudio bass drivers just refoamed.....thanks to Attila Tanka..

You could charge by the hour for listening sessions in front of those - I'd do a tourist trip to Victoria just to hear them :-)

You could charge by the hour for listening sessions in front of those - I'd do a tourist trip to Victoria just to hear them :-)

Shotgun!

Have to disagree.... i was running Krell KSA 160,s with the Sovereign,s ...  i prefer the Manley 250,s in all aspects...

I did say: "a BIG Krell". I'm thinking about a KMA 200 (which was the first amp I heard them on at the Duntech factory, in John Dunlavy's office).

Guest kab

I remember listening to both back in the day, at LWA.

I preferred the Sovereign but the sales guys told me that the CP produced a more consistently better sound in a typical living room.  

Probably the most remarkable Sovereign setups I've ever seen was in a 25th floor apartment, in Kent St Sydney. 

Thats why i chose the CP over the Sovs in my room.

If my room was much larger would love a pair of sovs.

Edited by kab

That looks outstanding...the room, the speakers, the setup, it must be heaven in there. 

I just checked out the website - man, I think I am in love with the look of the DSM-15. Is that right - - $12k ?? 

Edited by Zsonic

Have to disagree.... i was running Krell KSA 160,s with the Sovereign,s ...  i prefer the Manley 250,s in all aspects...

I havn't had an extended listen of the Manley's. The couple of Krell's I've listened to had a big sound but didn't sound musical to me.

Wooferocau,

Got to agree 100% with Zaph on this one!!!!

Until you stick around 5KVA up their backsides you haven't REALLY heard Sovereigns!!! ;)

My mate used to run his with an ME 1400 after coming up woefully short using an 850!!!!!

WAF was the only reason he sold 'em

Edited by JohnL

Wooferocau,

Got to agree %100 with Zaph on this one!!!!

Until you stick around 5KVA up their backsides you haven't REALLY heard Sovereigns!!! ;)

Absolutely yes.  

The Sovereigns are not musical they are dead accurate, which is why they are so good and so highly regarded.   

Absolutely yes.  

The Sovereigns are not musical they are dead accurate, which is why they are so good and so highly regarded.   

Don't think musicality and accuracy are mutually exclusive Pete but that's a topic for a whole other thread.

Don't think musicality and accuracy are mutually exclusive Pete but that's a topic for a whole other thread.

Hi Gordon, I only dropped the 'musicality' bomb because it was mentioned earlier in the thread.   :)

Guest kab

Wooferocau,

Got to agree 100% with Zaph on this one!!!!

My mate used to run his with an ME 1400 after coming up woefully short using an 850!!!!!

WAF was the only reason he sold 'em

WAF?.....Sovereigns first,wife a distant second!.

Had an ME1400 once,sold it due to temporary insanity.....NOT WAF! :P

Edited by kab

Hands up everyone who has heard Manley 250 Neo-Classic amps with Duntech Sovereigns? 

Guest kab

Not yet....hint hint.

Duntech Crown Prince...just had it's 2nd re foaming....in 18 years of my ownership....and plenty of boogiepost-109847-0-73056800-1408507121_thumb.

Need to get the duster out mate :nana .

The Duntechs have a specific treble sound which is probably not going to appeal to everyone.The stepped baffle arrangement with the felt surrounds gives a very precise focus to imaging but at the cost of the loss of some air and shimmer.

This is arguably just more accurate but if you value that air,decay,shimmery sort of treble then it is something that you are probably going to miss with the Duntech type baffle arrangement.

I preferred my Sonique Encores with the felt surrounds which surrounded the tweeters and dome midranges removed.They were attached with velcro to allow for this.

Image focus was slightly compromised but they sounded more open,airy and natural that way.Image height,which is something I value,was better without the felt surrounds.

Edited by THOMO

It is interesting the sound the Duntech,s have...... much different to alot of speakers i have heard, and i sound i now MUCH prefer.

I actually just had a musician friend who does alot of his own mastering and recording come around last weekend to have a listen, he fell in love with the Sovereign,s . His impression was that they are very neutral and accurate ...and VERY revealing.

He listened to a piece ( solo pianist) that he has heard hundreds of times before ......about 30 sec,s in he had a worried look upon his face. I thought for a moment there was something amiss with my system, but what he heard was a noise to which he described was the pianist,s foot pedal dampening the strings...... he said he had never heard that before on any other speaker he had listened to....he was amazed at how revealing the Sovereigns were on many other pieces he played.

The more i listen to the Sovereigns the more and more impressed i am with these OLD classics. It also makes me wonder just how alot of modern high end speakers can justify the sometimes very high pricing!!.

It is interesting the sound the Duntech,s have...... much different to alot of speakers i have heard, and i sound i now MUCH prefer.

I actually just had a musician friend who does alot of his own mastering and recording come around last weekend to have a listen, he fell in love with the Sovereign,s . His impression was that they are very neutral and accurate ...and VERY revealing.

He listened to a piece ( solo pianist) that he has heard hundreds of times before ......about 30 sec,s in he had a worried look upon his face. I thought for a moment there was something amiss with my system, but what he heard was a noise to which he described was the pianist,s foot pedal dampening the strings...... he said he had never heard that before on any other speaker he had listened to....he was amazed at how revealing the Sovereigns were on many other pieces he played.

The more i listen to the Sovereigns the more and more impressed i am with these OLD classics. It also makes me wonder just how alot of modern high end speakers can justify the sometimes very high pricing!!.

No doubt about it, the Sovereigns are a fabulous speaker system. However, to claim that modern speakers cannot justify their high prices is disingenuous. To build and sell Sovereigns today would necessitate a price tag in excess of $50k I would estimate. And, make no mistake: John Dunlavy was a very clever guy. The advances he brought about in speaker design have been adopted by many other designers since. 

I think Kiat does still make them - not as expensive as $50k but obviously all the investment in design work etc was done back in the day - like all high end products in whatever category eg - cars - watches -etc you will pay a premium for successful innovation - supply and demand - do we want it any other way :-)

Yes.  

This should be prefaced with IMO. At the time of release most would agree, but unless you have heard every Australian designed speaker??? I think you are discrediting a few other great designs.

There have been some outstanding Australian designed speakers since.

Nakamichi Dragons/Whise HA1500- (designed and conceived in Australia, but made offshore). When someone with the expertise, knowledge and experience of Mick Maloney, considers them to be possibly the best audio product to come out of Australia. They have the ability to draw you into the music like few other speakers.

Note Perfect Maestro (Symphony previously). Great all round speaker.

SGR Illuminators. Only heard them briefly, very impressive. Someone with more exposure could expand.

These would be a few contenders along with the Sovereigns, no doubt there are a few others.

This should be prefaced with IMO. 

Of course its my opinion!  ;)

Edited by flemo