Weston Acoustics Owners & Discussion Thread

Some of Earles amps have a higher than expected noise floor when at idle. Its noticeable at times but does not hinder enjoyment.

Feel free to call in on your way to Jakes Blakes.

Speaker options for Weston amps are very broad. They work well with a large range

• Thanks 1

@blakey72

@djb ran his older Turnberrys with a Troubador - actually it may have been a Time Machine - anyway quite low powered and it sounded lovely. You really don’t need tons of power with those speakers.

My integrated Topaz runs Proac 1s - they appreciate quality amplification and it handles them beautifully. It doesn’t  quite do it for my B&W 805 which love plenty of SS grunt. 

As for relaxation - I wouldn’t say my Topaz is any more relaxing than my big Elektra.  it’s different but certainly not pipe and slippers. I think that’s a misleading cliche about valves. It’s relaxing or exciting as the music demands.

Talk to Earle before you buy - he’ll give you good advice.

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, blakey72 said:

This is my first post in this thread (bit scared) so excuse my lack of knowledge. My plan for the future (after I pay all my debts and bills) is to build a 'relaxing' 'keeper' system. I've spent a long time chasing transparent, accurate, fast ans exciting sound. I need something to be just there for years to come that I can relax to. 

I have something in mind for amp/speakers and hope they will work well. I'm thinking Touchstone Pre, Tempest Duo 120 monoblocks and Tannoy Turnberry Prestige GR speakers. I'm not sure if this amp setup would be overkill for these speakers as they are 93dB going into a 5m x 5m room. Would the 45w of the Topaz mono's be ample?

I also know nothing about tubes so this is completely new (I have heard them though). Now I've heard about upkeep of valve amps and live 5 hours from Earle so is this side of it difficult? Biasing worries me slightly. How do they go with dust too? Horsham is very dusty, I will of course clean but what about internally? 

Blake.

Not valve but SS, the Conrad Johnston CA200 I recently had in my system would fit the bill. Relaxed, very full, great vocals. Payoff is reduced transparency and lack of detail in the bass, not lacking, just a little one dimensional. Rich, full and relaxing comes in as many forms as detailed, translucent and dynamic.

2 hours ago, Ooogh said:

Not valve but SS, the Conrad Johnston CA200 I recently had in my system would fit the bill. Relaxed, very full, great vocals. Payoff is reduced transparency and lack of detail in the bass, not lacking, just a little one dimensional. Rich, full and relaxing comes in as many forms as detailed, translucent and dynamic.

Is that a pre/control amp? So need a power amp?

• 2 weeks later...

Harbeth is another speaker I'm considering. Super HL5 Plus or 7ES-3. Would these be a good match with Earle's amps? And why are Time Machines so expensive for the amount of power they put out? How does the sound compare to say a Tempest? I'm really after a warm, lush sound.

• 1 month later...

Right, my wife and I have decided on Harbeth Super HL5 Plus speakers (probably 40th anniversary editions). Just need to match one of Earles amps now. Not really worried about budget, more about getting a good match. I am considering the Artisan 150 but aren't sure if this will be enough power (not sure how much it puts out anyway). The amp we demo'ed them on was a tube 22w/ch and was ample power. Going to contact Earle tomorrow.

I had 2 of his Topaz's (45 watts) along my journey ran my pair of SHL5 with one of them I very much doubt you'll be disappointed with something from Earl as long as you're patient.

Artisan 150 should be fine but not that much different to the Topaz sound wise so I'm told, I think it puts out about 20 watts a side from memory, the Harbeth's aren't hard to drive.

Edited by BATMAQN

• 5 weeks later...

Hey legends. I have an EL34 Weston. Its done quite a few hours now. How do i know when its time to change the valves?

Do i get them tested or just change the EL34 or change all of the valves?

I have the original Eletro Harmonix valves in this...i wonder do you need a super high end system or will a modest vintage system benefit from the bigger mullard investment?

Edited by JPete9

Guest Muon N'

Does it sound less than what it used to sound?

How many hour do you think you have up on the EL34's? The smaller signal valves last much longer, usually 5000 hours plus depending on what ones..

Actually what i have noticed the most, if i dont wait for it to warm up (15min+) the stereo imaging is way off...painfully off. i kinda feel its dulled a little? (sorry i dont have better lingo).

I have had it around 2.5 years and i would guess 20hrs max a month, 10 months a year, say 400 hours since new? Whats the expected life?

80% of that listening is done at the 9oclock level and the rest at 12...never higher.

Edited by JPete9

1 hour ago, JPete9 said:

Actually what i have noticed the most, if i dont wait for it to warm up (15min+) the stereo imaging is way off...painfully off. i kinda feel its dulled a little? (sorry i dont have better lingo).

I have had it around 2.5 years and i would guess 20hrs max a month, 10 months a year, say 400 hours since new? Whats the expected life?

80% of that listening is done at the 9oclock level and the rest at 12...never higher.

If you have a problem with getting a good sound after 2 minutes you have an underlying issue.

Valves do not normally take long to warm up.

Rated valve hours are a guide only and like anything electronic, they last a long time or they don't.

Get it checked out.

To test if its the valves, could i swap the left pair for the right and see if the issues switches sides?

These guys think 5-20min to warm up?

I didnt get anything for Christmas so i am gonna treat myself to some tubes. Currently have EH 6CA7, i was thinking SED Winged C EL34 - any other suggestions?

The guys in the thread above reckon dont worry about ojutput tubes and roll small signal tubes instead?

Edited by JPete9

3 hours ago, JPete9 said:

To test if its the valves, could i swap the left pair for the right and see if the issues switches sides?

I didnt get anything for Christmas so i am gonna treat myself to some tubes. Currently have EH 6CA7, i was thinking SED Winged C EL34 - any other suggestions?

The guys in the thread above reckon dont worry about ojutput tubes and roll small signal tubes instead?

Swapping the valve from one side to the other is a good start.

Long warm up times are for critical listening sessions for folks with golden ears. If the amp does not sound reasonable after 2 minutes then something is not right.

You might find a change of the small signal tubes will make quiet a difference but the same applies to output tubes. It just depends what you plug in and how you like the sound as a consequence of the change. 

Genalex Gold Lion KT77s are a nice output tube. (Make sure you get a matched quad as you will not be able to adjust the bias on your amp.)

See you down the rabbit hole.

Edited by Ihearmusic

Guest Muon N'
4 hours ago, JPete9 said:

If going for Winged C EL34's get the earlier Svetlana ones rather than the SED branded ones, these are what I have made my staple in my amp, great sounding tubes that do it all well and don't boost anything to give an unnatural response.

Edit: avoid ones that come in plain white boxes and no proper logo on the  glass envelopes, there are some seconds from after production ceased, and fakes floating around.

Edited by Muon N'

I will trying switching the tubes today (i have never removed them, any tips?) and i will measure the output of each speaker individually with REW.

Can some one please tell me does Shelby Lynne - A little Lovin and Dire Straits - You and your friend sound perfectly centred (voice) on your system? They aren't on mine.

when i play Wish You Were Here the main guitar (around 1min) is perfectly centred 

Infected Mushroom-Becoming Insane  intro is absolutely perfect. listening to this song now i think my system is perfect and the other recordings are off?

Now i am not sure if have listened too much and driven myself a little crazy :)

EDIT: If you are testing stereo imaging, not so much whether it's centred the intro of Letter - Yosi Horikawa is pretty cool.

Edited by JPete9

Guest Muon N'

Need to be careful though, and be sure any differences in balance are not due to another aspect of the system, or room interaction.

2 hours ago, Muon N' said:

Need to be careful though, and be sure any differences in balance are not due to another aspect of the system, or room interaction.

Thanks. i have put a bit of effort in measuring and position and treating the room. dragging out the mic and REW sent me down the rabbit hole trying to recall decisions i made about dips in my graph etc etc...

Anyway, on the cold amp SPL is very even, there is a 5db variance between 1600 and 2800 - might affect specific music possibly, but i suspect probably too small to notice?

Certainly after 15min everything is fine so i am not stressing. I still might buy some tubes for fun and maybe even a DAC.

Curious to hear other opinions on the imaging of the songs i mentioned.

Cheers!

Pink is Right and Blue is Left.

both.png

Edited by JPete9

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully helpful for the next person. A faulty volume control was the cause. Replaced and now sounding perfect!. Around 3db difference i was told, which is probably what i measured above. Working like a new one now.

Switching back to the CA1000 for a week and now i know why i love this weston amp!!!

Edited by JPete9
  • Like 1