Bit of advice on getting signal to amp.

Goodaye all

Need some help and advice on getting  a audio signal from my PC to my amp on a secondary system.

Sitting next to the amp is a network hub so l thought a digital device but what?

Set up the system roughly using a Chromecast it was ok but there some network issues over the wireless.

The sound was amazing from the little Sansui AU101 and the old Linear Design speakers that l had inherited.

When the wife starts screaming to turn it down you know its right. :thumb:

But l digress.

regards Bruce

• Like 1

Guest thathifiguy

I get the impression the computer is in a separate location. 

In which case, you could invest in any number of brands' wireless access points;

Yamaha WX-C50

Sonos Connect

Heos Link

Auralic Aries Mini

Bluesound Node 2

There are a large list of products that will do it.

4 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

... In which case, you could invest in any number of brands' wireless access points;

@sloper  asked about connecting to a network hub, and that he had issues when using wireless.

Guest thathifiguy
24 minutes ago, Weka said:

@sloper  asked about connecting to a network hub, and that he had issues when using wireless.

All the devices mentioned have ethernet connectivity and don't need to be run wirelessly.@sloper

Goodaye all

Looking around a Chromecast is the most cost effective, l suppose l could setup a wireless channel just for my own  use.:thumb:

regards Bruce

You could. Also give it preference on the router.
Chrome cast apparently not that good with audio per reviewers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Goodaye all

Doing my head in, seems there is no simple piece of hardware.

The Focusrite rednet seems the closest but it is designed for musical instrements so a little more research is required.

regards Bruce

On 20/05/2017 at 10:02 AM, sloper said:

Goodaye all

Need some help and advice on getting  a audio signal from my PC to my amp on a secondary system.

Sitting next to the amp is a network hub so l thought a digital device but what?

Set up the system roughly using a Chromecast it was ok but there some network issues over the wireless.

The sound was amazing from the little Sansui AU101 and the old Linear Design speakers that l had inherited.

When the wife starts screaming to turn it down you know its right. :thumb:

But l digress.

regards Bruce

The PC is 15m away from your amp, right?

Does your PC sound card have RCA outs ... or optical ... or coax?

Whatever, you could use a pair of Miccus Bluetooth units.  I use them to send the sound from my TV up one floor to my preamp ... and then through my power amp to speakers either side of the TV (which are hard-wired from the upper floor ... I forgot the signal wiring! :( ).

Works great!  :thumb:

Andy

18 hours ago, sloper said:

Goodaye all

The Focusrite rednet seems the closest but it is designed for musical instrements so a little more research is required.

regards Bruce

Raspberry Pi + PicorePlayer (or a number of other software choices) can be a cost-effective solution if you have a spare DAC that supports USB input, but just need a bit hands-on.

Some links for your information:

http://archimago.blogspot.com.au/2017/03/howto-building-and-installing-raspberry.html  (You don't really need to touch screen in there, just use your phone.)

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/how-to-1

Edited by Jackybrown

19 hours ago, sloper said:

Goodaye all

regards Bruce

What's wrong with a Sonos Connect? Price? Do it right and spend once. I've had 2 Sonos Connects (replaced a standard one with a modded one) and over 5 years they have been the most reliable/bulletproof devices I own. The only downside is no Hi-res files, but that's no biggy for me.

Edited by blybo

Goodaye all

l dont want much but high res is one of them.

Ok l have settled on plan B

10-12m digital cable to my DAC

l can get a glass strand optical or digital coax, both have drawbacks.

a repeater in between wouldnt be out of the question too.

Cost less and be simple and reliable.

regards Bruce

• Like 1

Dayton WFA02

Https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-wfa02-multi-room-wi-fi-audio-adapter-for-ios-android--300-576

Same as a Chromecast but unlike the Chromecast it will actually take a wired Ethernet connection. Has a mobile app for control and I believe also a desktop app.

I have a spare I could send you to trial to make sure you're happy with it, to save you ordering from Partsexpress or decibel hifi.

Edited by luke352

Doh

Just realized something, if l leave the Sansui in the study and run speaker cables under the house its 8m.

Use my main Dac and install a RCA switch all of which l have.

l can keep the cables away from power all the way, the max length from amp to speakers could end up 10m

Keeps the Sansui away from the heathens as well.

regards Bruce

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sloper said:

Doh

Just realized something, if l leave the Sansui in the study and run speaker cables under the house its 8m.

Use my main Dac and install a RCA switch all of which l have.

l can keep the cables away from power all the way, the max length from amp to speakers could end up 10m

Keeps the Sansui away from the heathens as well.

regards Bruce

Good luck. I wouldn't get too carried away with Hi-rez though, I can't tell the difference in my system and I'd imagine your vintage gear will won't reveal differences even if they are there. I'm sure it sounds lovely though :love

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blybo said:

Good luck. I wouldn't get too carried away with Hi-rez though, I can't tell the difference in my system and I'd imagine your vintage gear will won't reveal differences even if they are there. I'm sure it sounds lovely though :love

l probley wont hear much difference but l like to give myself a chance.

The new caps are sitting here waiting to go into the Sansui.

regards Bruce