New Anthem STR Integrated

The specs of the new Anthem STR integrated 200wpc/400wpc (8ohms/4ohms) seem to be very good.

It has a built in USB DAC and MM/MC phonostage. The amp stage can drive a 2 ohm load providing a rather ample 550 wpc. It also has built in Anthem ARC digital sound processing. 

The amp is built in Canada and priced at $4499 USD. 

https://pooraudiophile.com/2016/09/anthem-announces-str-integrated-amplifier.html

https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/model=str-integrated-amplifier/page=overview

Edited by Sir Triode
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sir Triode said:

The specs of the new Anthem STR integrated 200wpc/400wpc (8ohms/4ohms) seem to be very good.

It has a built in USB DAC and MM/MC phonostage. The amp stage can drive a 2 ohm load providing a rather ample 550 wpc. It also has built in Anthem ARC digital sound processing. 

https://pooraudiophile.com/2016/09/anthem-announces-str-integrated-amplifier.html

https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/model=str-integrated-amplifier/page=overview

whats it look like under the hood ? 

any proprietary components ? ;)

in any case sounds like quite the brute of a thing :thumb:

nice power supply and caps there, though not sure why like japanese amps they go for internal heatsinks as will dissipate heat inside the casing ...over time ... slow cooking from the inside ?

also can see some ICs there sir triode... boo hiss... :D

still looks an interesting piece :) and good to see anthem playing in the 2ch integrated space.

I see mainly through hole components used. The ICs are probably for the DSP and DAC sections.

No sealed proprietary modules that I can see. :)

Having said that the transformer looks a bit small for a traditional Class A/B amp. So it might be a class D amp. Perhaps why they can fit the heatsinks into the unit. 

Edited by Sir Triode

I just hope it is a huge improvement on the 225,which was very ordinary. Plenty of power but no finesse

By the look of the US pricing it seems it will be well over $5K here and there are many great integrated amps in that price category. I have my doubts but I also hope I am wrong

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, rantan said:

I just hope it is a huge improvement on the 225,which was very ordinary. Plenty of power but no finesse

By the look of the US pricing it seems it will be well over $5K here and there are many great integrated amps in that price category. I have my doubts but I also hope I am wrong

True but this integrated has a DAC and MC phonostage built-in. I believe the only other integrated with a DAC and phonostage built-in is the Audio Research GSi75 which is more than double the price of the STR.

Sim Audio Moon Neo Ace (long name, longer feature set) has DAC, MM phono AND Streamer built in, class A/B and under $5k... but only 50wpc iirc. Still it is currently at the top of my wish list until I can demo a couple of other units.

There are many integrated with dacs now, Devialet, Parasound, Moon, Nad, Primare etc can all be had with phono input as well. I'm sure there are many others too, even the budget PS Audio Sprout.

Edited by blybo
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/05/2017 at 10:01 PM, Sir Triode said:

another internal shot. oh lookie see .... power supply..."custom designed by anthem electronics" ;)

18424248_10154570856836658_1439761402206

• 3 months later...

I can't see it being class D, not with those big, long amp boards and heat sinks.

And the power supply does look a bit undersized for the wattage claimed, however so did the 225.  I note those power supply caps are 100 volt jobbies, interesting.

And look, it has an ipod screen stuck on the front of it. 

Edited by Cafad

That transformer looks like it would have to be 600VA at most. To deliver the rated 550w per channel I would have expected the transformer to be at least 1200VA rated(and physically very much larger). That said, this thing seems to have a huge amount of functionality. I just will wait for some external reviews and proper power tests first. 

I did notice that on the specs page https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/model=str-integrated-amplifier/page=specs it shows the huge power specs are actually produced at <1% distortion, meaning it was probably close to 1% distortion when getting those figures. More realistic levels I find in specs are below that and are at 100w at 0.002% distorion 1k and 0.015% at 20k.  

anthem.JPG.2555894b0a56c0ce7e35a3457feb6af5.JPG

54 minutes ago, niss_man said:

That transformer looks like it would have to be 600VA at most. To deliver the rated 550w per channel I would have expected the transformer to be at least 1200VA rated(and physically very much larger). That said, this thing seems to have a huge amount of functionality. I just will wait for some external reviews and proper power tests first. 

I did notice that on the specs page https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/model=str-integrated-amplifier/page=specs it shows the huge power specs are actually produced at <1% distortion, meaning it was probably close to 1% distortion when getting those figures. More realistic levels I find in specs are below that and are at 100w at 0.002% distorion 1k and 0.015% at 20k.  

some some good points. at 8ohm its 200w thats the claimed but yes could be at pretty high distortion. I very much doubt could achieve in he realms of 550W no matter the load !  perhaps for a tiny split second with what ever might be in the caps but we are talking many small factions of sec ! not kind of thing want to rely on in reserve,

as an example my mf amp that is claimed for less output 500wpc has much larger toroidals (2 off) and considerably more heat sinking and an overall stated max consumption of 2000w. which is more in line with their 500w claim per channel claim and leaving something up the sleeve. the anthem back panel of the amp actually states 500w on the power socket which is likely more indicative of this amps actual capability.

a bit unusual as far as anthem go in this regard. they have made some grunty amps in the past. so not sure why the departure here with regards fanciful unrealistic specs vs wha look like under nourished innards to match claims. 

14 hours ago, :) al said:

some some good points. at 8ohm its 200w thats the claimed but yes could be at pretty high distortion. I very much doubt could achieve in he realms of 550W no matter the load !  perhaps for a tiny split second with what ever might be in the caps but we are talking many small factions of sec ! not kind of thing want to rely on in reserve,

as an example my mf amp that is claimed for less output 500wpc has much larger toroidals (2 off) and considerably more heat sinking and an overall stated max consumption of 2000w. which is more in line with their 500w claim per channel claim and leaving something up the sleeve. the anthem back panel of the amp actually states 500w on the power socket which is likely more indicative of this amps actual capability.

a bit unusual as far as anthem go in this regard. they have made some grunty amps in the past. so not sure why the departure here with regards fanciful unrealistic specs vs wha look like under nourished innards to match claims. 

Exactly what I'm talking about and good find with the 500w on the back, that writing is pretty small. This may as well have PMPO output written on it somewhere as in the 90's. For those unaware PMPO that was a silly number used to entice teenagers or people not in the know, horrible plasticy stereo systems with lots of blinky lights at places like Harvey Norman in the 90's. I always took PMPO to mean the power the amplifier produced from 1 channel when the output was shorted (0 ohm load) measured as a single shot with an oscilloscope microseconds before failure.

I find this from their website "

"More Power, From Oversized Toroidal Transformers Where?

Clarity is maintained using carefully selected components, many of them engineered exclusively in-house at Anthem, like the huge, precision-wound toroidal transformers and their matching oversized filter capacitors.(is there more than one transformer under the cover? Huge...no) This massive power supply (sorry)operates in harmony with the high-current, high-output amplifier section to produce an astounding 550W per channel continuously into 2 ohms!" Mmmm 550W "continuously" per channel ! So your saying this can do 1100W continuously? Please read back label Anthem.

I know there are plenty of manufacturers out there (usually high end) who have more realistic numbers to their products but I really do wish that there were  a worldwide legal set rules with regarding to testing amplifiers and output specifications but it seems we have not come far from the days of PMPO .  

image.png.2aaca93395e2b268eab7be6b5aece6c7.png

• Like 2

On 17/05/2017 at 1:19 PM, blybo said:

Sim Audio Moon Neo Ace (long name, longer feature set) has DAC, MM phono AND Streamer built in, class A/B and under $5k... but only 50wpc iirc. Still it is currently at the top of my wish list until I can demo a couple of other units.

There are many integrated with dacs now, Devialet, Parasound, Moon, Nad, Primare etc can all be had with phono input as well. I'm sure there are many others too, even the budget PS Audio Sprout.

But do they have room correction built in too?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sir Triode said:

As you know, Anthem Room Correction (ARC) makes a big difference for movies and  multi-channel music.  With ARC and the ability to support 2 subs, it will be interesting to see how the STR Integrated performs for 2 channels (strictly speaking, it is 2.2). And how will it be received by traditionalists who insists on an uncorrected 2 speakers only setup?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, niss_man said:

Exactly what I'm talking about and good find with the 500w on the back, that writing is pretty small. This may as well have PMPO output written on it somewhere as in the 90's. For those unaware PMPO that was a silly number used to entice teenagers or people not in the know, horrible plasticy stereo systems with lots of blinky lights at places like Harvey Norman in the 90's. I always took PMPO to mean the power the amplifier produced from 1 channel when the output was shorted (0 ohm load) measured as a single shot with an oscilloscope microseconds before failure.

I find this from their website "

"More Power, From Oversized Toroidal Transformers Where?

Clarity is maintained using carefully selected components, many of them engineered exclusively in-house at Anthem, like the huge, precision-wound toroidal transformers and their matching oversized filter capacitors.(is there more than one transformer under the cover? Huge...no) This massive power supply (sorry)operates in harmony with the high-current, high-output amplifier section to produce an astounding 550W per channel continuously into 2 ohms!" Mmmm 550W "continuously" per channel ! So your saying this can do 1100W continuously? Please read back label Anthem.

I know there are plenty of manufacturers out there (usually high end) who have more realistic numbers to their products but I really do wish that there were  a worldwide legal set rules with regarding to testing amplifiers and output specifications but it seems we have not come far from the days of PMPO .  

hi nissman, yeah I really dont know where they are going with this especially brand like anthem ! to be overstating things as they are. unfortunately to report just looking at their AVR range, I think i can see where coming from and sorry to say it looks very much they are using the same ploy as the japanese avr brands to lean heavily in the marketing side of over stating than say the more humble conservative ratings of some other brands like nad/rotel/CA and such

https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/type=av-receiver/model=mrx-520/page=specs

looking at the specs their 3 AVRS have consumptions of 365-570w which his little disappointing even their flagship they say

"11 Amplifier Channel A/V receiver with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. 140 watts per channel continuous power into 8 ohms"

really ? 11x140w given a 570w consumption ? not bloody likely !  so when look a bit closer to the specs ... for channels 1-5 its only 2 channels driven !!! into 8 ohms for the 140w and remaining channels its also only 2 channels driven into 60w ! FFS.

so coming back to the 2ch integrated, I suspect they are using the same sort of over optimistic and marketing based claims which is disappointing. all that said. I suspect it still is a decent integrated. just as you have quite correctly picked up given the little torroid in it more like what expect to see in a 100Wpc unit and look even the heat sinks used tends to be more supporting of that sort of thing :) so as long as not expecting it to be some 500wpc behemoth or anything probably be a nice integrated unit i suspect. 

I wish though anthem would get back to being a tad more conservative in their ratings, not sure what is driving it, but reducing themselves to lowest common denominator i.e. the japanese AVR brands in wildly over optimistic power ratings really isn't necessary :) 

Looks like 500w is not the Max consumption, but normalised. from Marc's article linked above

500W consumption is not a maximum rating. Testing labs rate the figure that gets printed on the rear panel according to typical use as a home appliance, not the worst case on a test bench where the current draw is much higher.

Edited by blybo

6 minutes ago, blybo said:

Looks like 500w is not the Max consumption, but normalised. from Marc's article linked above

I note their website does indeed quote power consumption for both, "Typical use" and "High Output"

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 1.50.06 pm.png

On 06/09/2017 at 3:45 PM, Sir Triode said:

Nah, but the Moon costs $3000 less. Could whack an outboard DSP and external power amp into the mix and still save some $$$.

At the end of the day specs mean very little to me, it's how the gear works in my room that counts. I bought the Moon over other gear with better specs but worse sound... go figure.

• Like 2