Paper machè horns.

Upfront

I was going to reply differently, but I would get banned.

Incidentally, I have been thinking of a project recently that could hopefully (cost) involve modern composite materials that requires a vacuum process. Not sure if your setup can be adapted to it though.

I was going to reply differently, but I would get banned.

Incidentally, I have been thinking of a project recently that could hopefully (cost) involve modern composite materials that requires a vacuum process. Not sure if your setup can be adapted to it though.
Recon we could try mate. What did you have in mind?

On 04/11/2017 at 7:59 PM, Upfront said:
On 04/11/2017 at 7:50 PM, Auracle said:
Ah! I think this may involve a clandestine meeting with a cuppa for me, and some other type of beverage for you.
Talk soon.

Sounds good mate.

Interested.

I need a way to fabricate small horns.   (y)

• 4 weeks later...

The humour is not lost down here, mate ;).

But your cryptic teasing is a test of patience! Cunning plan, says he...

I've just had a dip in Mountain River: 31 degrees out, 17 degrees in, trying to ponder the significance of the 'blue dye fantastic' vacuum device. I suppose we all have a way of saying "I blue my horn".

Sorry for shameless OT, the mercury's dropping fast and I always go a bit loopy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

An update to the most boring thread on SNA...
My lovely wife bought me some new drivers for Christmas, so in between holidays, visitors and the dreaded list I'm making a new pair of horns with a 2" throat for the new drivers.
This time, using 2 layers of Unryu, Japanese mulberry paper, then around 14 layers of paper as before. Looking forward to seeing this one off the mold. c1371e485191e5656d82ceec9ba825e5.jpga4654269638e5e37bd77c5e4a8290b05.jpg301517590358e4a5ccf23fd5cb465ba8.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Upfront said:

My lovely wife bought me some new drivers for Christmas

Interesting version of "boring" Linc. We should all be so lucky.

Interesting version of "boring" Linc. We should all be so lucky.
Boring because they all look the same on the photos Brian. Huge amounts of work and another photo of a spiral horn! I'm very happy with this one though. Can't wait to chop it back, cast it and hear these new drivers!
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Upfront said:

My lovely wife bought me some new drivers for Christmas, so in between holidays, visitors and the dreaded list I'm making a new pair of horns with a 2" throat for the new drivers.
This time, using 2 layers of Unryu, Japanese mulberry paper, then around 14 layers of paper as before. Looking forward to seeing this one off the mold. c1371e485191e5656d82ceec9ba825e5.jpga4654269638e5e37bd77c5e4a8290b05.jpg301517590358e4a5ccf23fd5cb465ba8.jpg

Jeebas, nice looking drivers mate

Did the piggy bank fall out of the cupboard into the Hobby Mate ?? :yes:

@Upfront I made a frame once to make vacuum formed parts for rc aeroplanes, actually worked quite well. Acrylic heated in the oven then vacuum formed to the shape you wanted with a mould. Is there a sonic difference (better/worse) comparing your paper mache horns to say a timber or moulded plastic horn?

[mention=111049]Upfront[/mention] I made a frame once to make vacuum formed parts for rc aeroplanes, actually worked quite well. Acrylic heated in the oven then vacuum formed to the shape you wanted with a mould. Is there a sonic difference (better/worse) comparing your paper mache horns to say a timber or moulded plastic horn?

I've looked at making a thermoformer. But one project at a time! The difference between materials? No idea. That's how all this started. When I have a pair of paper horns I'm happy with, I'll be able to find out. ABS and fibreglass seem to be the most common as they are easy to make. Paper is ridiculously time consuming to get right. Carbon fibre will be next for me.
How big is your vacuum former?

15 minutes ago, Upfront said:

I've looked at making a thermoformer. But one project at a time! The difference between materials? No idea. That's how all this started. When I have a pair of paper horns I'm happy with, I'll be able to find out. ABS and fibreglass seem to be the most common as they are easy to make. Paper is ridiculously time consuming to get right. Carbon fibre will be next for me.
How big is your vacuum former?

not big enough for your friggin horns! only about 200-250mm square from memory, good for forming rc plane cowlings and the like. As it turned out my skill in making parts far outweighed my skill in flying!

• Like 1