Sign in to follow this  
PauliD

Anyone have experience with the Pioneer N-50a?

Set it up and updated the firmware first thing. That all went seamlessly enough, wasn't a quick process tho.

Found my NAS straight away and I was off and running. Couldn't crank it being a school night in an apartment block.
An A-B test of the Onyko DAC with Bonobo Kerala definitely improve separation of the vocals and instruments on busy parts of the song with the Pioneers Up-sampling on.

It is quick at retrieving files online or store locally even with stuff playing and I like the weight of the remote in your hand. The only gripe is that screen is a bit washed out with OLED/AMOLED screens so common now days.

Looking forward to playing with it more this weekend and ripping more of my CD collection :)

On 15/05/2017 at 1:17 PM, PauliD said:

It has arrived already, very fast shipping as I only ordered on Thursday arvo. Can't wait for quitting time :D

@same64 any tips or ticks?

When you find something let me know:-).

Waiting for the day when i can buy good quality  network/amplifier combo.Still having eye on Yamaha R-N602.

Enjoy your new toy.

Now we know why all the Pioneer network players have been on Grays online. There is a new one coming that looks pretty special, maybe an Oppo killer?

1 hour ago, PauliD said:

added Chromecast and in built Wi-Fi the rest is the same (?). 

I thought it was completely redesigned with latest DACs, not sure though as I haven't looked into it with any detail.

Could do, but neither What Hi-Fi nor StereoNET article delves that deep atm. Just say Sabre32 Ultra DACs in the 50AE and 70AE. The older models have 50A had ES9011S which could do 32/192 and the 70A had ES 90116S that could do 32/394. So needs a full spec sheet to really see what version on the chips each has inside.

http://stereo.net.au/news/pioneer-focuses-on-hi-res-audio-with-two-new-network-players

Curiously the 50A had machined RCAs but now the 50AE doesn't? Thats how the article reads.

The old model is still around!

I have ordered one today from Greys ebay store after missing out on the aries mini.

I am mainly interested in streaming my files from a network but the screen and the USB input at the front could be useful for others in the house.

Hopefully the useability is matched by SQ.

On 16/05/2017 at 7:56 PM, PauliD said:

Thanks. 

Btw I looked at the product page for the R-N602 and it doesn't have the Tidal logo. It's has Pandora though. Unless Tidal logo is missing from the mobile view of the page. 

https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi/r-n602/index.html

FYI - Pandora is shutting down operations in Australia and NZ on July 31. Does anyone really care? For me Spotify pushes all of the buttons and is implemented very nicely on my Cambridge CXN.

4 hours ago, PeteD said:

Does anyone really care?

Yes I do, it was great for work and in the garage, better than any radio station. Had a very good like and dislike feature.

On 7/19/2017 at 5:15 AM, powerav said:

Yes I do, it was great for work and in the garage, better than any radio station. Had a very good like and dislike feature.

You can still access Pandora following close down in AUS/NZ:-

step 1 - install a free VPN (virtual private network) app.

step 2 - connect to VPN and change location to US East or somewhere else where Pandora still operates.

step 3 - start Pandora and enjoy.

Good for home but no good at work as I used to stream from phone to portable speaker and that's where I used it most.

On 8/1/2017 at 10:41 AM, powerav said:

Good for home but no good at work as I used to stream from phone to portable speaker and that's where I used it most.

It's easy to install a free VPN on your phone - so you can carry on with Pandora as usual at work.

I we the op settled on the n50a, I am thinking about going down this path, and like the look of the 30ae, or the fancier 50 and 70 models. Not sure if there is much about on the 2nd hand market in the way of the AE models yet. ?

On 10/05/2017 at 6:33 PM, PauliD said:

Hey,

Anyone played with one these? Awesome or rubbish?

I'm looking for a network streamer to replace some borrowed equipment (Sonos connect and DAC Magic 1). Mainly for Spotify, but I have NAS with FLACs and I'd like to have USB in.

What HiFi liked it and going cheap on Kogan.

https://www.whathifi.com/pioneer/n-50a/review

Thoughts?

Awesome.