Sign in to follow this  
PauliD

Anyone have experience with the Pioneer N-50a?

Hey,

Anyone played with one these? Awesome or rubbish?

I'm looking for a network streamer to replace some borrowed equipment (Sonos connect and DAC Magic 1). Mainly for Spotify, but I have NAS with FLACs and I'd like to have USB in.

What HiFi liked it and going cheap on Kogan.

https://www.whathifi.com/pioneer/n-50a/review

Thoughts?

Much better off with an Aries Mini, much much better off. 

from a quick google it looks like the Aries Mini doesn't do spotify connect. Is that right?

What I like about a streamer with a screen is that you don't have to stuff about with apps and can get music pumping quickly via the screen. It also makes it simple to have it logged into my premium spotify allowing anyone at home can play what ever they want ad free like the sonos. 

I think that no one seems to stock it instore and I haven't heard anyone talk about it on here doesn't bode well. But how crap could dual sabre ultra 32 DACs sound?

Ha! Google works better than this site search, I found you :P

So you sold yours on after getting the Aries?

I found the small screen in the Pioneer very hard to see and use, the Pioneer app is ok but a bit slow. The Aries app is very good and very fast. Spotify is coming to the Aries soon. Pioneer have seemed to given up on this product as Aries is constantly evolving.

in saying all that if your main Spotify and just want something simple then the Pioneer is pretty good.

2 minutes ago, PauliD said:

Ha! Google works better than this site search, I found you :P

So you sold yours on after getting the Aries?

As soon as I saw the Aries was on sale I sold it but it was the first version and not the 50-A, slightly different dac, there was no difference between what I had and the DAC in my Integra 80.3. The Aries was a significant improvement in sound quality.

@powerav can you give more detail about the prospective Spotify integration? Will it be connect? If it does Spotify connect I'd be buying the Aries in a heart beat to run into my Klien DAC 

I've always been interested in these pioneer units. nice big display balanced connectivity(70a) etc.

am sure the user interface is a good one. with a pioneer unit in my car I could be quite comfortable in use I think. anyways got something else now so ....

ps the other units to consider at the sony ones. they are little sony eco system but work well...

Might be worth mentioning that The screen on the 50a is the same size as the 70a and larger than the n50 that dan had.

46 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Might be worth mentioning that The screen on the 50a is the same size as the 70a and larger than the n50 that dan had.

quite right i was talking the 70a, this looks like a good in-between model,

ps i also removed my comment re front usb, it does appear exactly same as the rear one. though not used in practice to say how works off a hard drive or anything.

16 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

@powerav can you give more detail about the prospective Spotify integration?

No not really, it was a comment made on their Facebook page, they said that Spotify was high on their priority list.

Yeh ive also looked at the Pioneer and the N50a can be had for around the $500 mark brand new which makes it great value IMO.

Assuming Spotify are going Hi-fi soon I'm basically going to be looking for a great Spotify connect transport to pair with the Klien so DACs arent that important. This or the CA Stream Magic are on the radar, that said the Aries mini would probably trump both of them for me if it did included Spotify Connect. IMO Spotify connect really is the best way to experience Spotify and any streamer without this feature in the future may be left behind.

Just  be carful and don't make the mistake I did, I thought I got the bargain of the century by getting the N50 a for $250 but it was actually the N50k which is the first model but black. Lucky I was able to sell for $350.

I pull the trigger on this and it's definitely the 50a. I'll keep you guys posted on how I go. Fingers crossed!

I have 50a and i think does well what it does.Complaining about mall screen its not fair ,you will use phone or iPad to control anyway .Spotify is well integrated ,i wish they could integrate Tidal as well.

It has arrived already, very fast shipping as I only ordered on Thursday arvo. Can't wait for quitting time :D

@same64 any tips or ticks?

Set it up and updated the firmware first thing. That all went seamlessly enough, wasn't a quick process tho.

Found my NAS straight away and I was off and running. Couldn't crank it being a school night in an apartment block.
An A-B test of the Onyko DAC with Bonobo Kerala definitely improve separation of the vocals and instruments on busy parts of the song with the Pioneers Up-sampling on.

It is quick at retrieving files online or store locally even with stuff playing and I like the weight of the remote in your hand. The only gripe is that screen is a bit washed out with OLED/AMOLED screens so common now days.

Looking forward to playing with it more this weekend and ripping more of my CD collection :)

On 15/05/2017 at 1:17 PM, PauliD said:

It has arrived already, very fast shipping as I only ordered on Thursday arvo. Can't wait for quitting time :D

@same64 any tips or ticks?

When you find something let me know:-).

Waiting for the day when i can buy good quality  network/amplifier combo.Still having eye on Yamaha R-N602.

Enjoy your new toy.

Now we know why all the Pioneer network players have been on Grays online. There is a new one coming that looks pretty special, maybe an Oppo killer?

1 hour ago, PauliD said:

added Chromecast and in built Wi-Fi the rest is the same (?). 

I thought it was completely redesigned with latest DACs, not sure though as I haven't looked into it with any detail.

Could do, but neither What Hi-Fi nor StereoNET article delves that deep atm. Just say Sabre32 Ultra DACs in the 50AE and 70AE. The older models have 50A had ES9011S which could do 32/192 and the 70A had ES 90116S that could do 32/394. So needs a full spec sheet to really see what version on the chips each has inside.

http://stereo.net.au/news/pioneer-focuses-on-hi-res-audio-with-two-new-network-players

Curiously the 50A had machined RCAs but now the 50AE doesn't? Thats how the article reads.

The old model is still around!

I have ordered one today from Greys ebay store after missing out on the aries mini.

I am mainly interested in streaming my files from a network but the screen and the USB input at the front could be useful for others in the house.

Hopefully the useability is matched by SQ.

On 16/05/2017 at 7:56 PM, PauliD said:

Thanks. 

Btw I looked at the product page for the R-N602 and it doesn't have the Tidal logo. It's has Pandora though. Unless Tidal logo is missing from the mobile view of the page. 

https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi/r-n602/index.html

FYI - Pandora is shutting down operations in Australia and NZ on July 31. Does anyone really care? For me Spotify pushes all of the buttons and is implemented very nicely on my Cambridge CXN.