Sign in to follow this  
PauliD

Anyone have experience with the Pioneer N-50a?

Hey,

Anyone played with one these? Awesome or rubbish?

I'm looking for a network streamer to replace some borrowed equipment (Sonos connect and DAC Magic 1). Mainly for Spotify, but I have NAS with FLACs and I'd like to have USB in.

What HiFi liked it and going cheap on Kogan.

https://www.whathifi.com/pioneer/n-50a/review

Thoughts?

from a quick google it looks like the Aries Mini doesn't do spotify connect. Is that right?

What I like about a streamer with a screen is that you don't have to stuff about with apps and can get music pumping quickly via the screen. It also makes it simple to have it logged into my premium spotify allowing anyone at home can play what ever they want ad free like the sonos. 

I think that no one seems to stock it instore and I haven't heard anyone talk about it on here doesn't bode well. But how crap could dual sabre ultra 32 DACs sound?

Ha! Google works better than this site search, I found you :P

So you sold yours on after getting the Aries?

I found the small screen in the Pioneer very hard to see and use, the Pioneer app is ok but a bit slow. The Aries app is very good and very fast. Spotify is coming to the Aries soon. Pioneer have seemed to given up on this product as Aries is constantly evolving.

in saying all that if your main Spotify and just want something simple then the Pioneer is pretty good.

2 minutes ago, PauliD said:

Ha! Google works better than this site search, I found you :P

So you sold yours on after getting the Aries?

As soon as I saw the Aries was on sale I sold it but it was the first version and not the 50-A, slightly different dac, there was no difference between what I had and the DAC in my Integra 80.3. The Aries was a significant improvement in sound quality.

@powerav can you give more detail about the prospective Spotify integration? Will it be connect? If it does Spotify connect I'd be buying the Aries in a heart beat to run into my Klien DAC 

I've always been interested in these pioneer units. nice big display balanced connectivity(70a) etc.

am sure the user interface is a good one. with a pioneer unit in my car I could be quite comfortable in use I think. anyways got something else now so ....

ps the other units to consider at the sony ones. they are little sony eco system but work well...

Might be worth mentioning that The screen on the 50a is the same size as the 70a and larger than the n50 that dan had.

46 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Might be worth mentioning that The screen on the 50a is the same size as the 70a and larger than the n50 that dan had.

quite right i was talking the 70a, this looks like a good in-between model,

ps i also removed my comment re front usb, it does appear exactly same as the rear one. though not used in practice to say how works off a hard drive or anything.

16 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

@powerav can you give more detail about the prospective Spotify integration?

No not really, it was a comment made on their Facebook page, they said that Spotify was high on their priority list.

Yeh ive also looked at the Pioneer and the N50a can be had for around the $500 mark brand new which makes it great value IMO.

Assuming Spotify are going Hi-fi soon I'm basically going to be looking for a great Spotify connect transport to pair with the Klien so DACs arent that important. This or the CA Stream Magic are on the radar, that said the Aries mini would probably trump both of them for me if it did included Spotify Connect. IMO Spotify connect really is the best way to experience Spotify and any streamer without this feature in the future may be left behind.

Just  be carful and don't make the mistake I did, I thought I got the bargain of the century by getting the N50 a for $250 but it was actually the N50k which is the first model but black. Lucky I was able to sell for $350.

I pull the trigger on this and it's definitely the 50a. I'll keep you guys posted on how I go. Fingers crossed!

I have 50a and i think does well what it does.Complaining about mall screen its not fair ,you will use phone or iPad to control anyway .Spotify is well integrated ,i wish they could integrate Tidal as well.

It has arrived already, very fast shipping as I only ordered on Thursday arvo. Can't wait for quitting time :D

@same64 any tips or ticks?