Luxman D-06 Thoughts

I am considering a new DAC. I have lived with my Benchmark DAC 1 for a long time now and am wanting something more relaxed.

Considered Auralic Vega but that sounds like a suped up version of the Benchmark stuff. So wanting a totally different direction I have read about the Luxman DACs.

Any Luxman D-06 users out there? Anyone who has had the unit for quite a while and still liking it? Also has anyone been able to compare the D-06 to the D- 250

Any input appreciated.

Rob

I love the D-06 also and have heard one several times. I sold my D-05 intending to buy an 06 that was at a really good price, but it sold just before I ended up selling mine.

Missed by 2 days.:(

Still looking for 2nd hand .

I recently bought a DA-250 and auditioned it against a number of other DACs in the process, including the DA-06. Loved the DA-06, thought it was fantastic in terms of detail, resolution, musicality as well, a pleasure to listen to, but it was a bit more than what I wanted to pay at the time. I thought the DA-250, which is a little newer than the 06 was almost the same, had some other features (which I don't seem to be using) so that's what I went with. I would certainly support the DA-06 as being a great DAC.

Hi MJS,

It is interesting that you thought the DA -250 and 06 almost the same. I am really wondering about this. I will use it almost exclusively for PCM audio. I cannot find any information at all comparing the two. Are you happy with the DA 250? The 06 in the reviews is feted for its liquid midrange. Is the DA 250 similar in this regard?

3 minutes ago, Rob Castiglione said:

Hi MJS,

It is interesting that you thought the DA -250 and 06 almost the same. I am really wondering about this. I will use it almost exclusively for PCM audio. I cannot find any information at all comparing the two. Are you happy with the DA 250? The 06 in the reviews is feted for its liquid midrange. Is the DA 250 similar in this regard?

Yes, quite happy with the 250. Great build quality, usual inputs/outputs, including balanced, wonderful detail, yes, you could describe it as liquid, but it's not bloomy, no unnecessary warmth, great imaging. I now run my Oppo 95 digital out into the 250 rather than use the Oppo DAC. Sounds better to me, redbook CDs are sounding great. Also using Audirvana+ v3 from a Mac Mini into USB, seems to work well, including DSD128.

45 minutes ago, Rob Castiglione said:

Yes, I wrote to him this evening. I cannot believe he did not sell it though.

Have to admit, given I'm now using the 250 as a straight DAC rather than DAC/pre, I have a slight regret that I didn't take him up,on the 06!

Edited by mjs
Correct typo

Good point ... I am referring to the DA-06, just the DAC. I am assuming the OP meant DA as he was talking about DACs, even though he just used D as there is no D-250 afaik.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a DA-06 for over a year to replace an Auralic vega. Connected to a Luxman L-507u and Harbeth speakers, the sound is just beautiful. Used to be on an endless upgrade trail but now I've stopped dead. No need to change just listen. Looks like the DA-06 was the missing link and I haven't really even touched DSD yet!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Kingpin,

This is a very useful and timely post for me. I have the Harbeths as well. The DAC search is maddening and can send a normal person crazy. So many possibilities, so many ecstatic reviews of so many units! I was starting to have some doubts about the Luxman when I read that it did not have "inner detail".  I love my detail. Is detail sacrificed in your opinion? I would love to think not - that I could get both the analogue sound that the Luxman is renowned for and also preserve detail. Your thoughts would be welcome.

Hi rob

my take of this is that the luxman is more about the shape and structure of the music while the Vega is trying to dig deeper into the recording. At the end of the day I would say that the Vega has the edge in detail. I would also say that it's that extra edge in the detail that makes the Vega that much more difficult to listen to over the length of an evening. It's just too in your face whereas the Luxman (to me) gets the balance just right and delivers a sound that makes you want to go right through music library every night. 

You've piqued my interest in this too. Not got much on tonight. I'm going to plumb the Vega back into the system and do a bit of a comparison. I'll share my thoughts after that.

• Like 1

It is great to have both to listen to. I think that that is the perfect cure for upgradeitis - having several different components at different ends of the continuum. I will be interested in your observations.

I am really torn about the Luxman. I have an intuition it may not suit me but can't be sure about that of course  I love the dynamic character and massive detail  - great inner detail - of the Benchmark DAC 1 (I know it is hated by some) and am actually thinking of simply moving on to the DAC 2 which I hear addresses some of the edginess issues. I might then try and combine the DAC 2 with say a class A power amp which I am also curious about.

• Like 1

In my listening, I compared the Luxman DA-06, DA-250, Naim DAC, Cambridge 851D, Oppo HA-1 and one other. I felt that the DA-06 was the best for me and slightly shaded the DA-250. I had started at the Oppo, but quickly discarded that along with increasing my budget significantly. To me the DA-06 was wonderful to listen to and I thought that the detail and resolution were excellent along with the overall ease of listening. So, if I had more depth in the budget, that's what I would have gone for. I was looking for some of the features that the DA-250 had, the performance to me was very close to the DA-06 and being more budget friendly, I went with the 250 and have been pretty happy with it. I am sure the DA-06 would be even better. 

You are were lucky to be able to audition it. It is hard not being able to. On the other hand I have been pretty successful in my other purchases basing my decisions on reviews - I purchased Harbeths, prima luna tube amp and two other DACS and have been very happy with them. 

I am currently considering a used Luxman D - 06 and might just pull the trigger. I will give it another week!

1 hour ago, Rob Castiglione said:

You are were lucky to be able to audition it. It is hard not being able to. On the other hand I have been pretty successful in my other purchases basing my decisions on reviews - I purchased Harbeths, prima luna tube amp and two other DACS and have been very happy with them. 

I am currently considering a used Luxman D - 06 and might just pull the trigger. I will give it another week!

I suggest you go for it!

Ok rob I'm back from my testing Vega v DA-06. 

So without doing a long winded review, here's what I thought of the Vega:

more forward sounding 

crisp

slightly plastic sound to all instrument except acoustic guitar (really good)

lovely bubbly bass

high and wide sound stage

liked messing about with all the filters and clock speeds etc

built in digital preamp if you need it

and now the Luxman:

instruments and voices sound more natural and convincing

Lovely rounded sound to all instruments

deep bass if it's in the recording

Great separation

high and wide sound stage (Vega edges it though)

more distant presentation

interestingly the presentation from the Vega was just too intense until I moved the speakers further apart when it smoothed out considerably

also detail levels actually seemed pretty comparable but it possibly seemed like there was more detail from the Vega just because it had a more up front presentation. Neither dac will disappoint in this area. 

My my preference is very much for the Luxman but I was surprised how engaging the Auralic was particularly with acoustic guitar. I just think that the naturalness of the luxman makes for better long term listening.

hope that helps

• Like 1

Thanks Kingpin. That does help. It is hard describing the particular sound of DACS but I get the picture.

The Vega might be like my Benchmark.

I have pulled the trigger so I will be able to tell you soon how much I like the Luxman :)

• Like 1