Aussie amps

It makes you wish speaker manufacturers would provide more information about their speakers rather than just sensitivity figures and nominal impedance as it would give you a much better idea of what amp to look for to pair with those speakers and visa versa. I don't understand all of the graphs and tests that John Atkinson does in Stereophile and I know some people take issue with how he does them but often you get a much more in depth knowledge of the workings of the loudspeaker and a much better idea of what amp would suit.

By the way, the Holton Zero-Five-Zero is driving a pair of Legend Kantu 7s and it is having no issues whatsoever with plumbing the sonic depths of music at volumes far higher than I have listened to for a long time so there's nothing wrong with this pairing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hergest said:

It makes you wish speaker manufacturers would provide more information about their speakers rather than just sensitivity figures and nominal impedance as it would give you a much better idea of what amp to look for to pair with those speakers and visa versa. I don't understand all of the graphs and tests that John Atkinson does in Stereophile and I know some people take issue with how he does them but often you get a much more in depth knowledge of the workings of the loudspeaker and a much better idea of what amp would suit.

Which is why it is entirely appropriate to ignore reviews and reviewers that fail to publish full technical data along with their reviews. Stereophile, Australian Hi Fi and a handful of other publications are worth reading. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-6-10 at 0:23 PM, mwhouston said:

Remember you can onlay draw about 2.4kW from your power point unless you have a 15A outlet. Probaly the amp would deliver about 1200W into 2ohms. 

But with Class D they have extremely low distortion (0.01% typically) until you reach max power. Then they can jump to 10%. You don't want to go there. 

I'm building it dual mono;- 2X 600W transformers, 2X 35A diode bridge, 4X huge capacitors. It should be able to deliver 1200W in 8ohms continuos with little heat.

1200w into 8 ohms is a stupidly oversized domestic power amplifier, great work.

8 minutes ago, CryptiK said:

Nice one. How hot does it run and how much ventilation above/beside does it need? 

Is there an EOFY sale on these coming up? ;)

Hi

@CryptiK

Here is a top side view of the Five-Zero-Zero, each channel has its own 350mm x 100mm heat sink, so runs cool for a high powered amplifier.

Not planning any EOFY sales, selling well with 3 sales of amplifiers already on the board for this month.

If you would like to read a testimonial from a customer who was recently supplied the Five-Zero-Zero amplifier.

Here is the link. https://holtonprecisionaudio.com/blogs/testimonials/holton-five-zero-zero-customer-testimonial

_MG_1192.JPG

• Like 1

Nice one. How hot does it run and how much ventilation above/beside does it need? 

Is there an EOFY sale on these coming up? [emoji6]

I'll chime in on this one. Firstly, the amp is 117mm high including the feet; 100mm is for the case only.

In terms of temperature, it feels quite warm in operation, but not hot; you can leave your hand on the heatsinks/chassis as long as you like and it doesn't ever feel ouchey. At a guess I'd say it's about 50deg, give or take. I've got about 60mm clearance above mine (to the shelf rather than the frame, see attached pic), although I suspect you could get away with a little less. I've also got a strong suspicion that there's DC on my mains which, if true, would mean it's running hotter than normal; I've got a DC blocker arriving from Anthony in the next day or so which will confirm this one way or the other, so will keep you posted.

As for an EOFY sale, I think this is so good for the money that it's like it's on sale year-round!!! And in the interests of transparency that's my testimonial Anthony has linked to, and I stand by every word of it. :-)

b70f995f427022e18bc8b11514b75344.jpg

• Like 1

I have bought one of Anthony's amps - a 200 watt version which I am very much looking forward to getting in due course. Thus far I have been a dedicated tube guy so this is going to be very interesting. I have to say it is a delight to be able to talk  to the person who is actually building your amp.

Edited by Rob Castiglione
  • Like 2

I've got a few weeks of heavy use out of my Zero-Five-Zero. The amp connected up to a Conrad Johnson CT-5 pre amp and powering a pair of Legend Kantu 7s goes deep, never runs out of puff and has a really nice toe tapping musical signature to it. I'm going a lot louder with it than the Densen B310+ I used before as it never shuts itself in. The only disconcerting thing is if you close your eyes while the music powers on and you lose yourself in the record, it's a real surprise to open your eyes and see this rather smaller power amp than you were expecting sitting there getting only slightly warm.

I've been so impressed and the price is so good I've ordered another one so that I can use them as monoblocks to feed the Legends even more grunt. Anthony has done a couple of mods since mine was made and so they are identical he's got me to send my existing amp back to have the mods done so the 2 are identical. For no cost. That gets a thumbs up from me.

• Like 11

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, Mani said:

May I ask what is the price range would the Holton 500 be in and who stock them for demo. Mani

Hi Mani

The Holton 500 amplifier sells for $4990.00

Holton Amplifiers are available direct from my web site.

https://holtonprecisionaudio.com/collections/fully-assembled-amplifiers/products/fully-assembled-and-tested-hpa-nxv500l-signature-amplifier

I hope this helps you?

Hi Mani,

Glad to see Anthony on board.

I have a two hundred watt version which I think is about $3,900. More than sufficient power for my room.

Concerning demos I bought it on pure religious faith. I know that is a hard one but you will not be disappointed. Great dynamics, totally grips speakers, has that nice sweet Class A  sound ( first few watts?not sure how many) and great tone.

Edited by HarbethRob
  • Like 1

PS

And at the risk of being seen to be a bit gushing it easily blew away a very well known brand of tube amp that received a Class A stereophile rating which I subsequently sold because going between the Holton and it was painful.

• Like 2

There are not too many Aussie amp manufacturers, but Dynavector deserves to be in the list. Not the Jap cartridge maker, but the component maker.

Designed by a New Zealander, manufactured in Australia (and almost all sold in the UK).

• Like 1

Had to chime in, as I'm a fan of trying to buy local wherever possible.  I can't recommend enough checking out OAD (Open Audio Designs), Jon De Sensi's new baby (of previous Music Labs and Redgum, etc).  No affiliation - just mightily impressed.   I have changed to one of his new power amps recently based on the fact that it just shone.  Amazing piece of local design and quality.....

Careful - almost everyone I know who's auditioned these has bought one!!

https://openaudiodesigns.com/

image.jpeg.d509c599def1a96148423968042c0ce5.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

I liked the little Saksa85 a mate has, most info' on it is over on diyaudio along with the bigger Maya in another AKSA thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/aksa/294346-brand-super-aksa-saksa-85-a.html

Hugh is a very passionate designer and tops to deal with also.

Hugh's going to have to redesign the faceplates to incorporate a round blue on/off switch if the other 2 are any indication of marketing trends. Funny how the planets align sometimes.

40 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

@guru I was reading that seriously until you mentioned planets aligning ;)

As meatloaf would say," two out of three ain't bad".

you have to laugh though, what are the chances of blue round buttons, engraving and brushed aluminium. It like those cartoon chipmunks, "no, after you. No, I insist. Really , please." I wonder if it's the same font?

Depending on the oomph, stability and finally the sound your preferences may vary just like any suggestions you already have received.
I bought an Elektra Reference HD,of course your mileage may vary.

Hi I hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I'm considering getting the electra hd myself to drive the dynaudio special 40 and the kantu 8i which is in the same room . I'm not sure how the electra will sound with these speakers as they both need high current to really come alive. The other option was the plinius huatonga which I enjoy the sound to my taste it has a lot of details not sure how it goes with the kantu 8i . Any thoughts on these guys would be greatly appreciate. Mani.

6 hours ago, Mani said:
On 08/05/2017 at 3:02 PM, joz said:
Depending on the oomph, stability and finally the sound your preferences may vary just like any suggestions you already have received.

Hi I hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I'm considering getting the electra hd myself to drive the dynaudio special 40 and the kantu 8i which is in the same room . I'm not sure how the electra will sound with these speakers as they both need high current to really come alive. The other option was the plinius huatonga which I enjoy the sound to my taste it has a lot of details not sure how it goes with the kantu 8i . Any thoughts on these guys would be greatly appreciate. Mani.

Hi Mani, 

Don’t know how the above mentioned amps go with your speakers. However, I run my Kantu 8i with an ME25 pre and ME550 MKII high cap power amp and it is delicious, IMO. I’ve also run the Kurre 9 with these amps with the same delicious results. Easily outperform the Luxman integrated which is two times the cost. 

6 hours ago, Mani said:
On 5/8/2017 at 3:02 PM, joz said:

The million $$ question.

How will it sound?  Yes they are neutral and dynamic with heaps of current behind them.

No secret I like the amps and the way they sound as they are to my taste with my existing ( and previous) speakers. But will you get the same satisfaction? 

I know in my situation I am concentrating now on source components rather than the rest of the chain, you may be looking for something different. 

Only you can answer that once you have had a chance to bring all the pieces together.

Now to be sure if you could just audition one first would be ideal but probably difficult if not impossible with your location.

I suggest this for any major purchase. Good luck.