Aussie amps

They have a very different sound - you'll have to have a listen to make up your own mind and decide for yourself - other people's opinions might be 'spot-on' but to your ears & system, it could be completely misleading - both are extremely good amplifiers with excellent backup, guarantee, locally built, and all the good 'stuff' 

Thanks, do they really match the sound quality of some of the amps we might consider "reference amp"? Eg AR, Krell, you know, the so called top end gear....

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I've recently heard the two new Aspen Amps - Maya and Saksa and I rate them highly - I have not ever heard a Holton amp so I can't offer any comparative views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Depending on the oomph, stability and finally the sound your preferences may vary just like any suggestions you already have received.

I bought an Elektra Reference HD,of course your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

ME is supposed to be ok I've heard but I've only heard one and i didn't like the music so got distracted.

The big Holtons I heard at Marc's last show were displaying all the hallmarks of the effortless big amps that you think of when your after finesse and power. Marc ended up with them I think and I've not heard a bad word about them.

Joz's Electra's I've not heard but I chatted to the little bloke who makes them at the show and quite a few others said you wont need to look any further...ever.

So I reckon it comes down to your budget. ME are as cheap as chips compared to the above amps although pristine examples are pretty hard to find these days.

How much do you wish to spend?

• Like 4

I've not heard one of Hughs amps but have just received my Holton 500 a few days ago.

It replaced a Redgum Aquilina which I loved, but this is in another class altogether. Detail retrieval is stunning, timbre of stringed instruments of all styles is incredibly lifelike. Impact and presence of bass is outstanding. I can't see it leaving the rig for some decades... [emoji5]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 5

i would  love to hear a Hugh Dean Implementation that matches aussieamps power for power.  

It would also be interesting if Aussieamp implements a high powered bjt or use simular mosfets thst Hugh Dean uses in his latest creation.

Just putting ideas out there to give people better options.

• Like 1

On 2017-5-8 at 8:17 PM, Wiffle said:

I've not heard one of Hughs amps but have just received my Holton 500 a few days ago.

It replaced a Redgum Aquilina which I loved, but this is in another class altogether. Detail retrieval is stunning, timbre of stringed instruments of all styles is incredibly lifelike. Impact and presence of bass is outstanding. I can't see it leaving the rig for some decades... emoji5.png

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Congratulations, joined the "Club" :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently had the pleasure of listening to Hugh's new SAKSA85 for a couple of weeks and wow. it's a quality piece of Australian built gear which will do proud in many a stereo system. For a 80-85wpc amp it punches above its weight.

It's musical to listen to, tonally accurate with tube like qualities in the midrange and a low end response which is extended and accurate and puts some tube amps in its shadow. Wonderfully involving allowing enjoyable listening for hours.  The layering of the amp and imaging depth and width I think will rival a good tube amp.

Absolutely silent when turned on and while running - just what the doctor ordered.

I have always thought maintaining the second harmonics in the sound is important as it forms part of the whole music experience and Hugh has designed his amps with similar thoughts and has achieved this with the SAKSA with aplomb.

The 80-85 watts WPC output is easily exceed in operation with no evidence of glare or blossom across the spectrum.. I have a vintage Krell KSA100S and the SAKSA in my opinion has a better defined and transparent midrange and HF.  Even the LF slam and control for which the Krell is renown, is well presented by the SAKSA. Well done Hugh.

I can't recommend his new amp highly enough and at the price for the kit and fully built units the value is hard to beat.  I only wish I had the coin to invest in his Maya amps but that is life. He has used quality parts and concentrated on good music without the add ons.

Added to the build and sound quality of the SAKSA itself, Hugh has been an absolute gentleman to deal with. At all times he has been very approachable to respond to questions and exudes a love of his art. I am not electronically capable and an absolute klux with a soldering iron. However, my ears work just fine and his amps have been a musical experience for me.

Do yourself a favour and take the time to listen to his aussie made amplifiers.  Australia is a small stereo industry in the world stage but it seems we can manufacture gear which rates very highly.

• Like 6

On 2017-5-11 at 0:15 PM, 125dBmonster said:

@Aussieamps, please post photos on this thread :P

I have 2 x 850's. driving heavily modded ML Monoliths III's.

1x normal factory bias 15w, active xovered 24db at 150hz into the bass sections,

1 x highly class-a biased 30w, passive 18db into the ESL sections .

I've heard the 1500 it is my dream amp to have into the esl section at 100w bias.

Cheers George 

ME850data1.jpg

ME850data2.jpg

ME150..JPG

ME150..Capture.JPG

ME150....JPG

untitled 2.jpg

untitled.jpg

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:

A good Mate of mine has 3 pairs of ML Monoliths, yes 3 pairs and the only reason he did so was to get good SPL which 1 pair really doesn't deliver.

He either has leaky esl panels or the wrong amp, mine can put you through the back wall with dynamic slam and re-arrange your innards with low frequency concussion.

Cheers George    

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:

I dunno Mate, I've heard several sets of ML's and I'm a big fan.

Panels don't provide LF Concussion

Monoliths esl panels aren't doing LF concussion, I believe you have the wrong speaker in mind.

Like I said earlier mate, heavily modified Monliths III using one of the best low frequency drivers ever made with an FS of 17hz

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

• 3 weeks later...

I've just taken delivery of this small but very, very hefty Holton Zero-Five_Zero 100 watt model. Build quality is superb. It will take me ages to swap components around and connect it all up and it will want a few weeks to run in but I shall post about my thoughts in time.

One thing worth mentioning if you're concerned about it having xlr inputs  is that it is supplied with xlr to rca adaptors so you can get it up and running if you only have rca leads.

Holton.thumb.jpg.b195418b6d0daa323aa8e7563c8e2b73.jpg

• Like 6

Love to know where the mains transformer is, couldn't possibly be that minuscule blue one!!! Doesn't look to be any room for it to be under the board. And it's not smp from what I see.

Cheers George

NX050_11b_1024x1024.jpg

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 1

Love to know where the mains transformer is, couldn't possibly be that minuscule blue one!!! Doesn't look to be any room for it to be under the board.

Cheers George

NX050_11b_1024x1024.jpg

It is under there. It actually sits under a hefty bit of aluminium plate. It really is a clever design.
  • Like 1

Are you sure?  as it's only 100mm high external including feet, have you seen it as this is what it says. 

"This new power amplifier will have an entire power stereo amplifier on a single PCB. 

There will also be a power upgrade option of 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms for the more power hungry users and have 80,000uf total filtering and a 300VA low profile toroidal power transformer on board."

On the pcb board.

Cheers george

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

Are you sure?  as it's only 100mm high external including feet, have you seen it as this is what it says. 

"This new power amplifier will have an entire power stereo amplifier on a single PCB. 

There will also be a power upgrade option of 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms for the more power hungry users and have 80,000uf total filtering and a 300VA low profile toroidal power transformer on board."

On the pcb board.

Cheers george

See pics in the build thread here: 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

On the pcb board.

Cheers george

I don't know about the transformer but the amp is 100 mm high excluding the feet rather than including. Maybe that's an error on Holton's site?

It's not that easy to judge the size of the amp from the few photos of it around. The light is pretty poor here but you can make out how it compares to the standard sized cd player above...

Holton2.thumb.jpg.820b2dda70554056332f313337de9933.jpg

Edited by Hergest
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Hergest said:

I've just taken delivery of this small but very, very hefty Holton Zero-Five_Zero 100 watt model. Build quality is superb. It will take me ages to swap components around and connect it all up and it will want a few weeks to run in but I shall post about my thoughts in time.

One thing worth mentioning if you're concerned about it having xlr inputs  is that it is supplied with xlr to rca adaptors so you can get it up and running if you only have rca leads.

Holton.thumb.jpg.b195418b6d0daa323aa8e7563c8e2b73.jpg

I look forward to reading your impressions. I love the look of this amp, one day hope to own one of my own.

• Like 2