Sign in to follow this  
gnnett

SMS 200 Help Required

Hi There

As a digital Newbie I am stumbling along trying to get an SMS200 up and running.

Success to date has been limited to plugging iPod into computer (m7 HP Spectre X2) and playing songs using Roon. No idea how good or bad it is at the moment as all too stressful thinking I need to spend $140 a year just to play my ipod through the stereo!

Don't want Roon until I understand what I can get out of this and it will take me months to get there.

Trying now to use USB storage device with music files plugged directly into SMS200. Can see this library and play in Squeezelite, but no sound comes out of the stereo.

Cannot see, or access this library from Roon, so cannot establish if problem is plugging into the back of the SMS200 (seems unlikely) or some simple setup of Squeezelite that is stopping the sound coming out.

Any blindingly obvious advice (other than go back to the record player coz your too old) greatfully accepted.

Regards

Grantn

PS: Hmm and now after 4 days Roon doesn't work, cannot see the ipod anymore and I cannot find a button that searches for storage devices anymore and only thing that it finds is a Samsung device that I don't have! Ouch maybe the record player is the answer.

Edited by gnnett

You are probably better off getting in touch with the retailer or May at sotm who can assist by dialing into your system. There is a lot more info over at Computer Audiophile for this too,

Hi Dan

Yes you are right, but the jargon rich info over there is no place for a Newbie. I couldn't even get this topic in the right place here.

I found iTunes and all its tentacles was what killed Roon and the ipod, so with that deleted Roon is working again.

I will give all the bits and pieces to a Millennial at work to play with for a week or so while I am in Fiji and let them educate me in language I can understand when I get back. Might even get them interested in something better than their ipod! :-)

Cheers

Gn  

Hi Grant, I just set up an sMS-200 a few minutes ago, got Roon running nicely on it. With SqueezeLite have you gone into the settings section and selected your dac for the audio device? For some reason the default is unticked even if there is only one option. Roon is a little more complicated but again if the dac is selected then you should be getting some sound. 

Let us know how you go when you're back. 

Hi Cameron

Roon back up and running with usb thumb drive and ipod nano as libraries (not even sure if that is the right term :-) and surprisingly good considering the "DAC" I am using (too embarrassed to admit what it is until I replace it in 5 days). So despite my incompetence it works fine, I am just not ready to commit to Roon in the next 9 days.

Do you know if the 14 day trial simply terminates, or do they use your credit card details to charge you unless you notify them in writing not to?

Cheers

Gn

9 minutes ago, gnnett said:

Hi Cameron

Roon back up and running with usb thumb drive and ipod nano as libraries (not even sure if that is the right term :-) and surprisingly good considering the "DAC" I am using (too embarrassed to admit what it is until I replace it in 5 days). So despite my incompetence it works fine, I am just not ready to commit to Roon in the next 9 days.

Do you know if the 14 day trial simply terminates, or do they use your credit card details to charge you unless you notify them in writing not to?

Cheers

Gn

You need to go into your Roon account via their web page and you can cancel your trial there.

On 04/05/2017 at 10:24 PM, Krispy Audio said:

Hi Grant, I just set up an sMS-200 a few minutes ago, got Roon running nicely on it. With SqueezeLite have you gone into the settings section and selected your dac for the audio device? For some reason the default is unticked even if there is only one option. Roon is a little more complicated but again if the dac is selected then you should be getting some sound. 

Let us know how you go when you're back. 

I have been using my SMS200 pretty much exclusively with the Squeezebox server option. Yes, you do need to pick your DAC when you first start it up but it should remember your choice from then on. Unless you change to another DAC of course. 
A brilliant sounding little device especially with a good clean power supply.

Hi Mark

Just had another go and am struggling to figure out which window I am supposed to be "picking my DAC". As I am not the original owner I am wondering if there needs to be a global delete exercise to return to factory settings. I am currently using the headphone output from a Trends UD10 that I think is the "Burr Brown from Ti USB Audio DAC" on this unit that is primarily used as a USB to Coax converter.

When I am in the Eunhasu screen - squeezelite config it has identified this DAC and the button is filled in and clicking the button does not turn if off and on, it simply remains the only option and I cannot find anything that would let me select, or deselect it, or " Select Audio device and set squeezelite config. Empty is default value."

So not sure what I am doing wrong and do hope to be able to plug a SSD into the back so I don't have to have go the Roon, Tidal etc route as that seems expensive. :-)

Cheers

Grantn

10 minutes ago, gnnett said:

Hi Mark

Just had another go and am struggling to figure out which window I am supposed to be "picking my DAC". As I am not the original owner I am wondering if there needs to be a global delete exercise to return to factory settings. I am currently using the headphone output from a Trends UD10 that I think is the "Burr Brown from Ti USB Audio DAC" on this unit that is primarily used as a USB to Coax converter.

When I am in the Eunhasu screen - squeezelite config it has identified this DAC and the button is filled in and clicking the button does not turn if off and on, it simply remains the only option and I cannot find anything that would let me select, or deselect it, or " Select Audio device and set squeezelite config. Empty is default value."

So not sure what I am doing wrong and do hope to be able to plug a SSD into the back so I don't have to have go the Roon, Tidal etc route as that seems expensive. :-)

Cheers

Grantn

When you activate the squeezeserver you will see a little cog to the right hand side of the settings icons. Assuming you've got your DAC connected to the output USB port, as opposed to the one that is used to connect an external hard drive, you should see your DAC device listed there to pick. So check the arrangement of the DAC and HDD is relation to the unit's outputs at the back.

In relation to the Squeeze Server, once you've opened it up, you will see a small icon at the bottom right hand side of the interface that will take you to the server settings. Under library you should see your harddrive but if not, you can browse to it. Unfortunately I am not in front of my SMS 200 and I have a crap memory so I can't tell you path off-hand to the library. I think it's a linux thing but the path will be something like XXX/music or something like that. It might take a bit of farting around to find it if the path to the HDD is not showing by default so once you find it, do a screencap using the windows snipping tool ;) 

And I have asked several times how I can reset my unit, directly to the SOTM guys and there is (they tell me) no way to do a master reset which I find somewhat confusing. But that's what they tell me and I don't have the skills or motivation to figure out of how to do it myself (warranty and all that).

Have fun. It is a great little machine.

Thanks again Mark and despite the teething/setup glitches, must say that I am shocked at the SQ a doggy DAC and Roon and usb thumb drive in the computer. I have a new DAC on its way and will get serious about sorting this in 2 weeks when I am back from Fiji.

Cheers

Grantn 

16 minutes ago, gnnett said:

Thanks again Mark and despite the teething/setup glitches, must say that I am shocked at the SQ a doggy DAC and Roon and usb thumb drive in the computer. I have a new DAC on its way and will get serious about sorting this in 2 weeks when I am back from Fiji.

Cheers

Grantn 

Ok. I'll take the bait. Which dac? :P

I'm using mine into a devaliet and on occasion into a level 2 pdx dac. Is good. Is very good. With all the noise about the microrendu the sms200 has been somewhat ignored. It comes in quite a bit cheaper that the microrendu too. 

Edited by scumbag

Soekris portable R2R 1101. My 1541 based tube DAC needs a new 6DJ8, so will enjoy comparing old and new on the same theme.

Now powering the 1101. Will use sMS-200 to power it initially and then try adding a REGEN.

Not making my first play with computer based digital audio any easier!

Cheers

Gn

Hi Grant

Have a look at this thread as it has plenty of info about the SMS-200.

Hi Bill,

It's been suggested to me that this SOtM SMS-200 device would be a significant improvement to my proposed purchase of a new Mac mini and install either the Roon or Audirvana programs to drive my Ayre qb-9 dsd dac - the Mac in question has big SSD and retails new about A$1100.

I noticed this thread and wondered if this device will accept the Audirvana program or if it's own system offers better results

I've read some of the available info but as a digital novice, much of it passes me by - what I did gather here is that the SMS-200's external HDD, not a SSD, also requires a separate good power supply and linear preferred

I listen to a wide mixture of music and mostly redbook, but starting to get the higher 24 bit releases and will maybe try Tidal

@jrhill

As far as sound quality is concerned I would not recommend purchasing a mini Mac at this stage.  The SOtM SMS-200 certainly is a big step up from any PC/Laptop setup I have used or heard. To better it, you would need to be pretty savvy about computer audio and have the level of knowledge of someone like @Chanh and friends and spend big bucks on a dedicated server and power supplies.  It's an expensive and complicated path to take where I certainly fear to tread.

If you read the thread suggested above, it will give you an idea of of the setup options I and others have used with the SMS-200.

Then it's worth looking through this thread on Computer Audiophile as it has a wealth of info about the SMS-200 - https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/27617-sotm-sms-200-unveiled-at-munich-hi-end/

You don't actually need to run Audirvana at all to get the SMS-200 to dance beautifully with your terrific Ayre DAC.  All you need is a HDD with it's own powered USB dock (which will hold your music files), that you plug into the SMS-200. The SMS-200 is connected via it's dedicated USB port to your DAC.  The only other thing required is an iPad (I use an iPad mini) with the app "Soundirok" loaded to play your library music files through the SMS-200 and DAC.  It does this via your home wifi network.  The SMS-200 connects to the network by ethernet cable into your wifi router.  You can still control the SMS-200 using a PC loaded with Audirvana, JRiver or Roon etc but it is not required.

Eunhasu is the software that runs through your web browser (on any PC or iPad in the house) and manages the SMS-200 setup.  You don't actually load any software onto the SMS-200.  It comes with various server interfaces such as MPD/DLNA, Squeezelight, Roon, etc.  I use MPD with Soundirok and it works very well.  This thread will tell you all about Soundirok - https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30099-soundirok-ios-app/#comment-606066

Now here's the best bit.  SOtM are about to release an upgraded version of the SMS-200 with super duper clocks that apparently sounds amazing.  The only problem is the clocks in the new model cost a bomb so the expected price will be approaching $2,000 here in Australia.  That means that there will be a few second hand SMS-200's on the market very shortly as cashed up Audiophiles upgrade.  So my advice is read up as much as you can in the threads above.  Get a quality HDD and USB dock and start building your music library.  Within a month or so you will be able to pickup a secondhand SMS-200 at a discount and be well on the way to a very high quality computer audio system.  Trimmings like linear power supplies and USB cables (such as Curious cables) can be added (with the savings from not purchasing a mini mac and a new SMS-200) after you come to grips with it all.

Hope that helps and enjoy the journey. :)

Edited by Bilbo
More Info

Well how about that! 

Your very clear words have got me starting again in this 'ere digital server world - makes sense, even to me! 

I just poked around some of those threads and recognise the ideas - had to look up usb dock but can follow the gist of the rest - a much simpler setup than grant's (gnnett) and as you've indicated, can follow along in your footsteps  - more optimistic about it all now

I hope that the quality of the music files that I already have on thejRiver / Toshiba laptop are good enough quality to use with the new, or 2nd hand as you mentioned, SMS-200 -  or do I have to redo these again? 

I have an AudioQuest Diamond usb cable (0.8 metre) and the MIT usb cable (1 metre) arriving with the dac (both from S'pore) so can use 1 to the dac and other to the HDD, yes?

I'll read about your power supply adventure and saw that yellow battery in the pictures of your Maggies - where have you fitted the 'floating base' in that solid structure?

Strangely, it didn't twigg until I'd sent the message that we've been nattering about the 'leanfusers' in the other thread - duuh!