Ripping DVD to separate files

Hi all, what would be the easiest way to rip a DVD so that each track is a separate file - AVI or whatever?

It's not a commercial DVD, I'm burning separate recordings to DVD on an old Panasonic DVD recorder so that I can finally get rid of my VHS cassettes, sell the VCR and free up some space.

I can't afford to buy commercial software to do this, it will need to be freeware.

Thanks in advance :)

In the past I used a free software program called DVD Shrink

Now I know as software is updated some things get better and others removed 

So have a look at it a see if it suits you 

Thanks for the replies, I better look into Handbrake.

If anyone else has any suggestions I'm all ears.

By the way Spyne, are you the same Spyne from the old MEA?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have downloaded Handbrake, thanks for the suggestions.

What settings should I use to encode MP4s if the original content came from video tape?   

I tried 'Fast 720p30' and it worked but took forever and the files were too big (eg 400mb for a 15 minute clip). And I assume that video tapes are 24 fps but none of the presets match this. The encoded file seems to look more jittery, especially when the camera is panning.

The screenshot shows the available presets. 

Also some of the footage has our old band rehearsing - is there anything wrong with choosing a lowish video resolution together with a high audio bitrate like 320kb/s (in the audio tab) so I don't lose too much audio quality?

Handbrake screen.JPG

Edited by Steve78

Thanks for your help, I have no idea with this stuff.

Current format: On DVD+R discs, recorded on a Panasonic tuner/HDD/DVD recorder. I'm not sure what format the machine uses, but the discs it makes are playable on any standard DVD player.

Original capture: Some was from old analogue broadcast TV (sports news with family members that I want to keep), the rest was recorded on 1990s era consumer grade handycams. 

Hmmm, I would guess the format is MPEG-2 (on the DVD-R discs)...but that is just a guess.

I find Handbrake pretty slow when I use it, though I've never tried with VHS source material before. Have a read about detelecining, deinterlacing and denoising...or just try a few different settings and compare what you get out.

link 1

link 2

When I convert my DVD's I generally first rip the disc to an ISO or VOBs temporarily to my hard drive. I find that it's then quicker to convert those files rather than from the disc. I use SmartRipper for that. 

For the conversion I have my own preset. I leave the source size the same (720x576 for PAL), Under the Filters tab I turn Deinterlace on. Container I use MKV, codec H.264, Constant Quality 21. Under Audio it's up to you, for DVD's I usually do an AC3 passthough and stereo MP3 so I have two audio choices depending on the device I'm watching them on.

Excellent software have used it for years in conjunction with VLC just excellent.

400 MB for a fifteen minute file may seem like a lot but storage is so cheap nowadays, the smaller you go the software will take out bits it considers not necessary you don't really get to choose what that will be I found not reducing the file size gave much better results reliability wise and all round quality up to you I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rmpfyf

Late response, sorry. Am converting a stack of old media, thought it valuable to share.

@Steve78, @fowlerd303 is broadly correct on the resolution coming off the DVD - your screenshot suggests the DVDs are PAL encoded (720x576), which would be 25 frames/sec - so any of the 576p25 presets will do (would use the HQ). Anything more is wasted and won't necessarily look better.

if your original source is VHS you don't need to go nuts on resolution, there's maybe 240 lines of usable video content there. S-VHS will bump this to 400 lines. Your best approach IMHO is to have it rip in the DVD video format and then postprocess it to something lower res from there if it suits, and maybe to apply deinterlacing if not already done in the original conversion to DVD..

You're welcome to go 320kbps for the audio tracks, assuming the deck used to record/master them was using HiFi VHS (should sound about CD-quality) - otherwise response is around 10Hz-10kHz and worse on copies (linear audio mode) - if you've got the second, there are ways of encoding your file to save a bit of space. 

I'd use Handbrake to do the above, then ffmpeg to transcode to something you like. You can deinterlace at this stage too - I'd play around with it, see what looks best - you're a little at the mercy of the original conversion to DVD here. Unless you're playing back on something super-new that does h265, I'd suggest h264 compression in an mp4 file and the audio as aac. If interested, let me know and I'll describe what you need to do in ffmpeg.

Guest rmpfyf
1 hour ago, Steve78 said:

Thanks rmpfyf!

Cheers mate. If you want to try the ffmpeg route after you've got something ripped, shout out. If you like you can upload a short video somewhere and I can see what I could do with it for compression.

• 2 months later...

DVD Decrypyter can be used to rip a DVD into separate files based on chapters, so assuming each song is separated by chapter then this process will work:

Firstly, open DVD Decrypter and select Tools -->  Settings --> IFO Mode. Under "File Splittings" select "By Chapter". Then click "OK"

Secondly, click on Mode  -->  IFO

You will be given a list of chapters. Tick the chapters you want to rip.

Then rip your DVD.

Edited by murgles
  • Like 1