So I added an Ikea bamboo chopping block

done. I've got these under my speakers now and have a few packs here in spare of the smaller thicker ones and the slightly larger ones.

• Like 1
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After seeing them in various pics I finally bit the bullet and put an Ikea bamboo chopping block under my RP8. No special feet just put it on the shelf where the table usually sits.   The result wa

I did this just last week. Added isolation spikes Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the look of them ?

Got this sorted this afternoon.

I used the small Whites Anti Vibration blocks under the chopping boards secured to the boards with some 3m double sided tape, easily removed if I want to try without at any point.  I then ensured each board was level prior to putting TT on.  With my amplfiers I did the same.

Under the BluRay/CD player I thought things might be getting a little tight for breathing so just used whites anti vibration pads.

The whites pads had been under my speakers and subwoofers for little while now, and had made an improvement, so we'll see how it all sounds now with these IKEA bamboo blocks and Whites Anti Vibration pads.

....Sadly my integrated amp is at the repairer getting an LED light fixed so I cannot comment on any improvement until it returns, but the AVR is all hooked up so I'll be able to at least use that -

One odd thing for anyone grabbing some of these, give them a shake first!!

I bought x5 boards but only used x4, the 4th board when you shake it has a something inside it! There is not dents or otherwise but its got a rattle.  Maybe its a rouge IKEA allen key or that illusive left over screw!?  That one is now making its home in the kitchen.

20200608_153648_HDR_resized.jpg

20200608_153655_HDR_resized.jpg

20200608_165127_HDR_resized.jpg

20200608_165155_resized.jpg

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

Got this sorted this afternoon.

I used the small Whites Anti Vibration blocks under the chopping boards secured to the boards with some 3m double sided tape, easily removed if I want to try without at any point.  I then ensured each board was level prior to putting TT on.  With my amplfiers I did the same.

Under the BluRay/CD player I thought things might be getting a little tight for breathing so just used whites anti vibration pads.

The whites pads had been under my speakers and subwoofers for little while now, and had made an improvement, so we'll see how it all sounds now with these IKEA bamboo blocks and Whites Anti Vibration pads.

....Sadly my integrated amp is at the repairer getting an LED light fixed so I cannot comment on any improvement until it returns, but the AVR is all hooked up so I'll be able to at least use that -

One odd thing for anyone grabbing some of these, give them a shake first!!

I bought x5 boards but only used x4, the 4th board when you shake it has a something inside it! There is not dents or otherwise but its got a rattle.  Maybe its a rouge IKEA allen key or that illusive left over screw!?  That one is now making its home in the kitchen.

20200608_153648_HDR_resized.jpg

20200608_153655_HDR_resized.jpg

20200608_165127_HDR_resized.jpg

20200608_165155_resized.jpg

I’ll be very interested to read your impression of the the White’s pads under your equipment, although it my be hard for you to know where the improvements came from specifically, due to putting all the pads in place together.

6 minutes ago, awayward said:

I’ll be very interested to read your impression of the the White’s pads under your equipment, although it my be hard for you to know where the improvements came from specifically, due to putting all the pads in place together.

That very thought came accross my mind this afternoon. Its a lot of change at once. I'll know pretty quickly with the vinyl I think, but I am not expecting too much with the AVR. I might even put the Integrated back into the system with no board and spin some records (I know you'll see them in the metal spinning thread LOL) and then put the board under the integrated and see what happens.

My logic suggests by using the whites pads under the boards it is the way to go as most isolation boards for TT tend to be that design, but with a quick twist the whites can come off.  Under the equipment I am not so sure yet which will be best, again though the logic of minimising vibration does step up.  The AVR is probably not going to benefit too much with Audyssey etc having so much influence but the whites pads under the subs (used for HT only) and speakers made a noticeable difference to my ears.

Hoping to get the amp back later this week all going well. 

One of mine, i use all three sizes if the board for different gear.

This one for the amp, vibrapod cones under the amp on the board with spring and Lee Davis disc under.

I also stained the board to match the timber colour of the other equipment. 

20200609_212017.jpg

Edited by dwbasement
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

One of mine, i use all three sizes if the board for different gear.

This one for the amp, vibrapod cones under the amp on the board with spring and Lee Davis disc under.

I also stained the board to match the timber colour of the other equipment. 

20200609_212017.jpg

Got my eye on some springs from eBay in the link i posted above.  Around $40 delivered.   I like the idea of them but will try the whites anti vibration pads to begin with. 

The discs under the springs, did you purchase those specifically for this use or utilised them from another application you had.  I read others using those but could not find any active link to them.

Staining looks good, I was going to spray mine black by the wife didnt like the idea -  i think more so didnt trust i wouldnt make them look like a grade 6 project,  but a dark stain on the IKEA block against the dark colour on the Kallax I think will look good.

9 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

Got my eye on some springs from eBay in the link i posted above.  Around $40 delivered.   I like the idea of them but will try the whites anti vibration pads to begin with. 

The discs under the springs, did you purchase those specifically for this use or utilised them from another application you had.  I read others using those but could not find any active link to them.

Staining looks good, I was going to spray mine black by the wife didnt like the idea -  i think more so didnt trust i wouldnt make them look like a grade 6 project,  but a dark stain on the IKEA block against the dark colour on the Kallax I think will look good.

I bought the discs for this setup, i use them on digital player, TT and the amp.

The springs are the same as your link.

I think black stain will look good too especially if your gears are black.

There are updated version of them now...

https://www.lesdavisaudio.com.au/3d-2

Edited by dwbasement

1 hour ago, Brad24 said:

I use squash balls cut in half under my chopping block, it works well & costs bugger all

I'm fascinated to know why you cut your squash balls in half, Brad?

The whole point about using squash balls as an isolating mechanism is not the rubber - it's the air inside the rubber!  By cutting them in half ... you take away the air.

I'm sure the half squash balls do something good - but FFS, try some whole squash balls and see how that compares.

If you need to stop the squash balls from rolling around ... rest each one in a 2l milk carton top.  (Washed, of course!  :) )

Andy

2 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

I bought the discs for this setup, i use them on digital player, TT and the amp.

There are updated version of them now...

https://www.lesdavisaudio.com.au/3d-2

Cheers for that, Just had a quick read through. I'll find a retailer and get an idea of pricing etc for consideration down the track.

6 minutes ago, andyr said:

I'm fascinated to know why you cut your squash balls in half, Brad?

The whole point about using squash balls as an isolating mechanism is not the rubber - it's the air inside the rubber!  By cutting them in half ... you take away the air.

I'm sure the half squash balls do something good - but FFS, try some whole squash balls and see how that compares.

If you need to stop the squash balls from rolling around ... rest each one in a 2l milk carton top.  (Washed, of course!  :) )

Andy

It works mate, give it a crack

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

Cheers for that, Just had a quick read through. I'll find a retailer and get an idea of pricing etc for consideration down the track.

https://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/les-davis-audio-sd-2-isolation-discs-box-of-8.html

https://bmc-audiovisual.com.au/blog/use-3d-discs-underneath-your-stereo-components

Edited by dwbasement
  • Like 1

Just now, Brad24 said:

It works mate, give it a crack

I'm not saying it doesn't work, Brad - I'm just saying you will get a better (isolating) result by using air as the isolation mechanism - not rubber.

Andy

2 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

Might try the set up as it is first then add/remove springs and eventually these.

As my amp is in repair I havent even tried what i put together on the weekend yet LOL.  The Squash ball is another option I might try also.

3 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

Might try the set up as it is first then add/remove springs and eventually these.

As my amp is in repair I havent even tried what i put together on the weekend yet LOL.  The Squash ball is another option I might try also.

The squash ball will work also, I use them too for some...i used the sobrethene hemisphere, they come in different diameter to suit the weight.

20200609_215905.jpg

1 minute ago, dwbasement said:

The squash ball will work also, I use them too for some...i used the sobrethene hemisphere, they come in different diameter to suit the weight.

20200609_215905.jpg

Nice. That looks  exceptionally neat also.  They've compressed quite a bit, look rock solid but the amps are obviously weighty beasts!!

One week at I am at IKEA and Bunnings and this week could be Rebel sports - HiFi related Shopping!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

Nice. That looks  exceptionally neat also.  They've compressed quite a bit, look rock solid but the amps are obviously weighty beasts!!

One week at I am at IKEA and Bunnings and this week could be Rebel sports - HiFi related Shopping!!!

You will need the 50cm diameter ones for heavy amps.

they do compressed a bit at the bottom in times, you do want them to compress a bit though, like the springs I think...

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

May give this a go..looking for something saw this piece of bamboo I forgot that I have ,was intended to be a plinth for a project so it is the same size as the Akai TT on top ( first one I bought about 5/6 years ago)

A bit thicker at 35 mm should work fine...

IMG20210117080510.jpg

I reckon just get a decent rack/shelving designed for Audio applications.

I f...ked around for years trying different boards bricks glass...whatever.

Got myself a mid- road TAOC rack and my turntables performance increased dramatically.