So I added an Ikea bamboo chopping block

I somehow turned up this old thread and thoroughly enjoyed the discussion. I originally had used a Lack table stand for my Planar 2 and then it went into service for my LP12 with good results. Subsequently I discovered that the Ikea Lack tables are favoured by many in the LP12 community, so I had accidentally done something right! It seems that the Lack system is the complete antithesis of the very dense bamboo plinth. Recently my daughter wanted a “Lack Rack” for her ERA 3033. She wanted to store her records underneath so the bottom table has standard legs, the other two have been cut shorter. Super light, the legs are hollow and the top has paper honeycomb. It just WORKS! As the tables are just $8, the thing only cost her $24 plus an hour or two of my time!

154DB6DA-ABE3-46BD-8674-070E7A351027.jpeg

Edited by oztayls
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After seeing them in various pics I finally bit the bullet and put an Ikea bamboo chopping block under my RP8. No special feet just put it on the shelf where the table usually sits.   The result wa

I did this just last week. Added isolation spikes Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 Synsätt chopping boards glued together with a 12 x 3mm poly bead. Added some spikes to get them off the floor, and now the fins on my monos can breathe. No difference to sound but the heat sinks are

By the way, if you’ve picked up the current issue of Australian Hi Fi mag, you will have seen there is an interview with Dr Anthony Clark (conductor and concert violinist). He uses the Ikea bamboo chopping boards quite extensively in his system. 

I somehow turned up this old thread and thoroughly enjoyed the discussion. I originally had used a Lack table stand for my Planar 2 and then it went into service for my LP12 with good results. Subsequently I discovered that the Ikea Lack tables are favoured by many in the LP12 community, so I had accidentally done something right! It seems that the Lack system is the complete antithesis of the very dense bamboo plinth. Recently my daughter wanted a “Lack Rack” for her ERA 3033. She wanted to store her records underneath so the bottom table has standard legs, the other two have been cut shorter. Super light, the legs are hollow and the top has paper honeycomb. It just WORKS! As the tables are just $8, the thing only cost her $24 plus an hour or two of my time!
154DB6DA-ABE3-46BD-8674-070E7A351027.thumb.jpeg.08613f645800c3f673423aa45ba5b5b7.jpeg

Brilliant those things !!

19 minutes ago, rodders3 said:

Here are my ikea boards. Work really well with Iso acoustics!

Are the boards on spikes or sitting flat on the carpet?

Actually have ikea cork coasters glued to the bottom. I used to use these boards under equipment. Again, seemed to work well. Coasters were $1 for 4 or something like that.  

• Like 1
On 23/06/2017 at 2:18 PM, t_mike said:

2 Synsätt chopping boards glued together with a 12 x 3mm poly bead. Added some spikes to get them off the floor, and now the fins on my monos can breathe. No difference to sound but the heat sinks are noticeable cooler.

They look cooler too. :)

1498191453648-905377576.jpg

Roger Tranquility.  The Eagle has landed.

1 hour ago, rodders3 said:

Actually have ikea cork coasters glued to the bottom. I used to use these boards under equipment. Again, seemed to work well. Coasters were $1 for 4 or something like that.  

I currently have champagne corks under our Klipsch Heresy’s, until I make some slanted risers. They work extremely well!

• Like 2

My amp now lives on top of one as well. It’s got some little rubber feet under it which are slowly being crushed by the weight of the amp - will do something about that one day :)

894c482d76cffbd4e83c657805fa02ed.jpg

• Like 5

On 20/02/2019 at 3:00 PM, astormsau said:

My amp now lives on top of one as well. It’s got some little rubber feet under it which are slowly being crushed by the weight of the amp - will do something about that one day :)

894c482d76cffbd4e83c657805fa02ed.jpg

Put the McIntosh on a diet? 

23 hours ago, astormsau said:

I’m not sure if it did. It just looks pretty and matches the other Ikea board under the turntable which satisfies my OCD emoji23.png

OCD is a wonderful thing!  :lol:

Andy

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I made a trip today to get one ,(should have bought more, however need to consider WAF).

Now set up with Vibrapod cones at corners, and sorbothane pucks under the P3. I do find the extreme lightness of the P3 disconcerting when adjusting it.

Testing it out on 'Graceland' I certainly notice tighter bass, and greater definition across the board (pun sorta intended ?).

More experimentation needed with  various arrangements of feet / no feet, etc

20200507_165700-01.jpeg

20200507_171056-01.jpeg

Edited by lenticularis
  • Like 5

Well, that didn't last long.

Since the above pics were taken (10mins ago) -ve WAF has required me to remove the lower cones. I'll probably try spraying the bamboo board black too.

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, lenticularis said:

Since the above pics were taken (10mins ago) -ve WAF has required me to remove the lower cones. I'll probably try spraying the bamboo board black too.

Try Whites anti vibration blocks, they will not be as conspicuous and will help isolation. You can even sit then under and away from the edges so it looks like the board is floating 12mm.

• Like 2
On 27/02/2019 at 4:25 AM, Batty said:

I have 2 in the shed, maybe I should use them....

Sell them to me man, Ikea Perth are out of stock and they don't know when they'll be getting more.

40 minutes ago, lenticularis said:

I made a trip today to get one (should have bought more, however need to consider WAF).

Now set up with Vibrapod cones at corners, and sorbothane pucks under the P3. I do find the extreme lightness of the P3 disconcerting when adjusting it.

Testing it out on 'Graceland' I certainly notice tighter bass, and greater definition across the board (pun sorta intended ?).

More experimentation needed with various arrangements of feet / no feet, etc

You might drive yourself mad doing this, though.  :lol:

40 minutes ago, lenticularis said:

20200507_171056-01.jpeg

Great album to do listening tests with, lenticularis.  :thumb:

24 minutes ago, lenticularis said:

You broke the golden rule - and you got your payback!  :lol:  (Always buy your wife something sparkly when you buy yourself some more hifi things.)

Re. spraying the bamboo board black:

• you may be an expert but if I did it ... I suspect it wouldn't pass the WAF test.  :(
  • if you took the board to a kitchen cabinet supply place - which does 2-pac spraying - you would get a superb-looking job.

Andy

2 minutes ago, muon* said:

Try Whites anti vibration blocks, they will not be as conspicuous and will help isolation. You can even sit then under and away from the edges so it looks like the board is floating 12mm.

You realise, Ian, that the OP's cones served to couple the bamboo board to the shelf it's sitting on?

Mind you, your suggestion to use in-set Whites anti-vibration blocks will produce a sonic benefit, I would've thought.  And, lenticularis, I would think it will please SWMBO!  :lol:

Andy

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, andyr said:

You realise, Ian, that the OP's cones served to couple the bamboo board to the shelf it's sitting on?

Mind you, your suggestion to use in-set Whites anti-vibration blocks will produce a sonic benefit

Maybe they do :)

I have a few Vibra Cones somewhere but not in the system, but have plenty of the Whites blocks in there.

Edited by muon*
44 minutes ago, lenticularis said:

No offence, but really?

I cannot believe the timber/bamboo look isn't OK and as far as feet offending ,well..................................

I doubt that your room is the Louvre or the next thing on the cover of home beautiful.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, rantan said:

No offence, but really?

I cannot believe the timber/bamboo look isn't OK and as far as feet offending ,well..................................

I doubt that your room is the Louvre or the next thing on the cover of home beautiful.

Maybe it's just the wooden colour, r (compared to the rest of the setup)?  If the OP painted it black ... I suspect wifey wouldn't have complained.  :)  Also if the cones had been set in, say, 3cm from each edge ... they would've been less obvious.

Andy

14 minutes ago, rantan said:

No offence, but really?

Well, women are different aren't they? I bought a multitiered acrylic TT with upgraded RB250 arm and that was totally vetoed on aesthetic grounds (it was bloody ugly). I'm sure it was a better performer than the new P3 that, after discussion, was sanctioned on its neat appearance.

No, the house isn't a palace by any means. Perhaps I need you to debate the aesthetics with my better half?

• Like 1

I use to have Ikea chop board on my old turntable as well but now new turntable is too big for it.

20200507_190608.jpg

Edited by Ericcklau
  • Like 4

Thanks everyone for chipping in after my posts yesterday.

This morning I did more experimenting, noting the philosophy of using the board to dissipate any unwanted energy being generated/entering the Rega.

I tried configurations:

1. The RP3 sitting 'naked' on the furniture (a long presumably MDF thing that houses all of my system (erstwhile cheapo rack rejected a long time ago (WAF ?) ).

2. RP3 on the Ikea board, with sorbothane pucks between board and furniture.

3. RP3 on the Ikea board which rested directly onto the furniture.

For test pieces, I used my copy of Joni Mitchell's 'Don Juan's Reckless Daughter'. Tracks used were the long track 'Otis and Marlena' that blends into 'The 10th World'.

Results:

Config 3 better than 2, better than 1.

Both configs 2 and 3 gave more presence to Joni's voice, right from the opening bars of Otis and Marlena.

The music had more soundstage depth, and more definition. Guitar strumming and drums and cymbals had more clarity.

On 'The 10th World' the complex interplay of multiple voices and drums had more separation, so each could be distinguished individually.

3. gave further increased depth and clarity over 2. Near the start of 'The 10th World' there was even more presence to guitar and piano accompanying the drumming.

System details:

Shunyata Research Hydra 6 Power Conditioner

Shunyata Aries interconnects (XLR)

Shunyata Anaconda Powersnake

Shunyata Venom power cables (3)

Bryston BP25 pre-amp

Gamut D200 Power-amp

Morrow SP-4 spkr cables

Rega P3 and Exact cartridge

Rega Mini Fono A2D phono stage

Sonus Faber Concerto Homes

Cheap Stands

Pic 1 shows the general system. (Naim amps sold recently, Auralic Aries no longer sitting on top of the TT...dog has moved out with daughter... a major loss to my life!)

The Bryston pre- now sits in where the Naim HiCAP was in Pic 1, to the bay to the left of the Shunyata power-conditioner. The small table is no longer impeding the LH speaker.

Pic 2 shows the sorbothane pucks, now unused.

I placed the small Vibrapod cones under the BP25 pre- and have more Vibrapod bases under the CD player and the power-amp.

I have a better phono stage in the post, so I look forward to 'more' in due course.

hifi-Marlo.jpg

sorbothane-pucks.jpg

Edited by lenticularis
system details

Would be interesting to compare the different types of Whites blocks to the sorbothane pucks :)

On 07/05/2020 at 6:38 PM, Ericcklau said:

I use to have Ikea chop board on my old turntable as well but now new turntable is too big for it.

20200507_190608.jpg

WOW! Gorgeous setup this is, with the brick wall as a background, simply stunning.

Love the CA-2010 aesthetics too. Is that a GT2000 turntable?

Edited by Willmax
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Willmax said:

WOW! Gorgeous setup this is, with the brick wall as a background, simply stunning.

Love the CA-2010 aesthetics too. Is that a GT2000 turntable?

Thank you

Yeah it is a Gt2000 TT

Yamaha CA 2000

8 minutes ago, Ericcklau said:

Thank you

Yeah it is a Gt2000 TT

Yamaha CA 2000

Nice one. You wouldn't be looking to add a matching Yamaha CT-1010 tuner to your collection, would you? wink, wink

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Willmax said:

Nice one. You wouldn't be looking to add a matching Yamaha CT-1010 tuner to your collection, would you? wink, wink

Not planning on tuner but I like to replace my recent speaker 

On 07/05/2020 at 9:12 AM, lenticularis said:

I made a trip today to get one ,(should have bought more, however need to consider WAF).

More experimentation needed with  various arrangements of feet / no feet, etc

20200507_165700-01.jpeg

20200507_171056-01.jpeg

OMG Thats close to the speakers do you have any bass problems,stylus skipping ?

2 hours ago, gasolin75 said:

OMG Thats close to the speakers do you have any bass problems,stylus skipping ?

No, none at all. I've since moved that speaker forward by 10-15cm, but there has never been any issue, either with the RP3, or with an earlier Dual CS 503-2

Edited by lenticularis
  • 4 weeks later...

Came accross this thread quite a while ago and then again the other day.  We ended up at Ikea on Saturday so I grabbed a few blocks.  They're not expensive and I'll leave the plastic on incase its a wasted exercise and they'll make up part of the hampers for the family at Christmas  xD

My plan is to run-

x1 under my integrated amp and also x1 my AVR

x1 under turntable

x1 under cd player (not decided - this could end up in the kitchen)

Both my integrated and AVR sit in a cabinet, is the thinking to sit the board directly onto the cabinet and then each amp straight on the board or something between the board and cabinet first?  I use whites anti-vibration pads under speakers but looking at alot of the pics in this thread the board on its own seems the trend.

With the turntables, I notice also people seem to sit the board on the unit or shelf then the TT direct ontop.  Some have a spring system or rubber pad between.  Something like this which is pretty cheap I thought of grabbing to rest the IKEA board on which will also ensure good levelling of the TT  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4PCSX-HIFI-audio-Stand-Feet-Speaker-spike-Audiophile-shock-spikes-spring-damping/173920088201?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

At the moment I am thinking for the amps to use the thinner anti vibration rubber under the board and then place the amps on board, but i'll try board directly onto cabinet first.  . 

For the CD player space might be an issue so i may just run the anti vibration pads under each foot so long as I can see they're all absolutely the same thickness to maintain level.

20200608_102150_HDR_resized.jpg

• Like 4

Place the Whites Anti Vibration Blocks under the Bamboo for greater isolation :)

Very cheap

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-on-site-100-x-12-5mm-rubber-anti-vibration-mat-4-pack_p3961547