So I added an Ikea bamboo chopping block

On 5/8/2017 at 0:58 PM, mloutfie said:

On 5/8/2017 at 1:05 PM, dwbasement said:

Looked at these too but only support 2kg per feet...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I use these, or at least something that looks very similar, under my Metrum DAC.

And like Tubularbells, my Ikea Aptitlig works best in the kitchen. :)

On May 4, 2017 at 0:02 AM, Mrs Bagcroft said:

hmm fair enough. Even SS phono amps?  Just trying to get my head around how it could make a difference.

I am also struggling to find that reasoning on such products. Turntables; absolutely. Tube amps; maybe. But I need some more info myself on further isolating, solid state equipment

• Like 2

It seems as though products try to

A) isolate outside vibration
B) drain away internal vibration
C) both

Microphony is real and measurable, so there's no problem there. The only question is, does it make any difference? Clearly stuff that moves (turntables, CD players) benefit from having the reading apparatus engaging with the most "still" thing to be read. I think most agree there.
Tube dampers seem to make quite a difference, too, to my ears. Anywhere you have electric current and heat you have motion, and a tube ticks both boxes.
SS phono pre? I'd think there'd be a benefit there, too. Tiny electrical signals passing through vibrating parts? Seems fair. Doesn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I forgot the important bit! Electrical circuit manuals acknowledge that components can transform mechanical vibrations into unwanted electrical noise. Phono pre with tiny signals I imagine would be easily interrupted.

1 hour ago, AussieMick said:

Sorry, I forgot the important bit! Electrical circuit manuals acknowledge that components can transform mechanical vibrations into unwanted electrical noise. Phono pre with tiny signals I imagine would be easily interrupted.

This is correct.  However, components in just such a circuit as a solid state phono preamp, should be selected to minimise  problems such as microphony.   Cheaper equipment will benefit most from removing the vibration as good equipment will use parts and designs that will minimise this problem.   With good components, it may not be noticeable.

• Like 2

Agreed. Of course, it depends on the resolution of the rest of the system, too.

I'm afraid we're back to, "if you hear a difference you like, use. If not, don't use it". Ah, it's a simple life...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AussieMick said:

I'm afraid we're back to, "if you hear a difference you like, use. If not, don't use it". Ah, it's a simple life...

But some people's thought pattern is "If I don't hear a difference (and other people do) ... maybe my ears aren't very perceptive (so I should just go ahead use the 'thing' which others have said is good, in case it really is providing a benefit"!).  :P

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, frankn said:

Or if the product is low cost then someone might say it doesn't "hurt" the sound so I'll just leave it there anyway. 

Xackly!  :thumb:  If you can hear it isn't doing anything baaad ... then it's probably doing some slight good.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

They are throwing them out . $16.95 a throw had to get the missus to grab a handful. Should have bought a carton, put up a web page with outrageous unqualified claims, printed a presumptuous name on it and flog them for $1000 a piece. :sarc:

IMAG0264a.jpg

IMAG0267a.jpg

• Like 2

They are throwing them out . $16.95 a throw had to get the missus to grab a handful. Should have bought a carton, put up a web page with outrageous unqualified claims, printed a presumptuous name on it and flog them for $1000 a piece. :sarc:
IMAG0264a.thumb.jpg.1e14c6dae38009b32d0373769ac7535c.jpg
IMAG0267a.thumb.jpg.4857717062c0d5232e14fa39ec44176c.jpg

Did they do anything?? :)

On ?28?/?04?/?2017 at 9:29 AM, TerryO said:

I recently started a thread about these 3D constrained layer dampening discs and I had some what you might call interesting responces from people who had not tried them. Those that had tried them all agreed that they made a positive difference though.

In case you guys are interested this may be another option to consider.

http://www.lenwallisaudio.com/products/accessories/tweaks/3d-2-constrained-layer-damping-discs

cheers Terry

Seriously guys have any of you tried these dampening discs? They do cost a wee bit more than chopping blocks though.

Anyway for me they work, I did buy some Ikea chopping blocks though, but they are to be placed under the speaker spikes so I can move them around to find the best position without marking the floor.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

2 minutes ago, AussieMick said:

+1 for the 3D discs. Love them. Cheap, too.
Mick.

Add me to that list also.

Best money I have spent and far cheaper and exponentially better than a power cord upgrade. These actually work and yes, I was a sceptic

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

I just ordered a box, the guy from LW said no much benefit on analog? Mostly on digital equipments, anyone has a different view?

They work very well indeed on CD players and my Rega Saturn benefited greatly.  Slightly less so on my TT, but still very worthwhile. I think part of the result with my TT was that it already has had constrained layer damping applied to the platter, which was part of a general upgrade when I bought it.

I highly recommend this product.

• Like 1

They work very well indeed on CD players and my Rega Saturn benefited greatly.  Slightly less so on my TT, but still very worthwhile. I think part of the result with my TT was that it already has had constrained layer damping applied to the platter, which was part of a general upgrade when I bought it.
I highly recommend this product.

Good to know. hopefully I get it on Friday so that I can play around it in the weekend!