4K TV with non 4K AVR

Hi all, I recently bought a Sony Z9D tv and will buy a 4k blu ray play at some stage this year. My AVR is a non 4K Denon 4311 and I understand that I can use one HDMI from player to denon for the audio and the other HDMI straight to tv for the video. What happens to the info that normally gets displayed from the AVR (eg volume changes, settings menu etc)?  Will I not be able to see this if when using the blu ray player?

9 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Hi all, I recently bought a Sony Z9D tv and will buy a 4k blu ray play at some stage this year. My AVR is a non 4K Denon 4311 and I understand that I can use one HDMI from player to denon for the audio and the other HDMI straight to tv for the video. What happens to the info that normally gets displayed from the AVR (eg volume changes, settings menu etc)?  Will I not be able to see this if when using the blu ray player?

no wont see it as the avr is not feeding video to the display :) so will have to rely on the display on the denon :)

one option people take is using the dual screen out the denon and feed a small monitor. it should give the osd overlay.... but something want to check ! given the wierd things hdmi can do...

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, KiZ said:

What about using the ARC on the TV, assuming it has one? I use that and PIP on the TV if I ever need the OSD from my amp...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

arc basically will mean you will miss out on HD audio. let alone 3D audio if passing to an avr. also wont get onscreen display from the avr on your display. all maybe not a major issue. and if using a player for instance with dual outs ...then something can also work around the audio aspects. 

I don't have any source players hooked up to my tv or AVR yet, but I found that by using ARC I can control the volume of the AVR and (see the numbers increasing/decreasing) with the TV remote. This is all the information on screen you'll be able to get though.