Too long between drinks

I have been listening to this for a few weeks now and I am smitten. I cant wait to hear the TT once I get hold of a phono pre amp. And I am only running cheap 14 gauge cable I got from Bunnings.

Future plans are phono pre amp, upgrade speaker cables, run a direct power feed to a dedicated breaker on the fuse box and work on the TT upgrade.

IMAG0169.jpg

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, Qwertyqaz said:

Could you explain what you have there ?

lol, yeah that might help!

Primare CD32 CD player (This is on loan until the CD22 I ordered comes in. The distributor kindly loaned this to me in the mean time)

Primare I32 Integrated amp

Rega Planar 2 (circa late 80s) with Linn LVV arm and Goldring 2100 cart.

Monitor Audio Silver 8 speakers

QED Reference Audio 40 Interconnect

• Like 2

Guest Eggcup The Daft

Nice setup, except that the turntable may not work well where it is now. Ideally get the Rega or similar wall shelf, or additional isolation (hopefully other Rega owners can advise on modern supports). Regas don't like big bulky cabinets and sideboards as a general rule. The tweak with a child's bike tyre works but would spoil the look of this setup...

7 hours ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

Nice setup, except that the turntable may not work well where it is now. Ideally get the Rega or similar wall shelf, or additional isolation (hopefully other Rega owners can advise on modern supports). Regas don't like big bulky cabinets and sideboards as a general rule. The tweak with a child's bike tyre works but would spoil the look of this setup...

Thanks. Yeah I have yet to hear what it will sound like there. The cabinet is solid and the floor is concrete but of course Regas have no isolation. I have often considered a "Seismic Sink" type thing with the bike tube. I'm sure if I spent a ridiculous amount of time obsessing over it I could come up with something. ;-)

20 minutes ago, LHC said:

How do you like those Silver 8?

Very nice. I love the tweeter, detailed but smooth. Also the bass is dry, how I like it, extension is good, limited by the room, but fast and detailed also. I initially thought my budget would only extend to the Silver 6s which were the first speakers I auditioned (and loved anyway) but the dealer gave me a great deal on these. I only have pretty basic speaker cable and want to try RG213/u as has been recommended here to see how that goes. I seriously cant imagine what else I would have without ridiculous money. And especially in the room I have. Oh and I think they look superb as well.

• Like 2

I had my Rega P2 on a similar structure in the past with no problems at all.  

The heavy rubber feet on the old girl work as well as vibrapods or similar tweaks.  I'd just make sure the speakers were slightly in front of the deck to reduce any resonance issues, which looks like that's the case from your pics.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2017 at 5:38 PM, crisis said:

Thanks. Yeah I have yet to hear what it will sound like there. The cabinet is solid and the floor is concrete but of course Regas have no isolation. I have often considered a "Seismic Sink" type thing with the bike tube. I'm sure if I spent a ridiculous amount of time obsessing over it I could come up with something. ;-)

Get some Vibrapods and make a Vibrapod sandwich turntable isolation base, looks neat, works well, and doesn't cost a packet.

They also work well when used between Speakers and Stands as long as you get the correct ones for the weight of your speakers.

http://www.vibrapod.com/isolatorinstallation.htm

I know Decibel HiFi sell them in Australia, not sure of anybody else.

http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/vibration-absorbers/

• Like 2

Ordered a Schiit mani for the Rega. There are some ridiculously enthusiastic recommendations about this pre amp around the sub ether. If it lives up to half of the hype I will be happy enough. Considering the price its worth a stab. Also ordered a pair of Audio Principe interconnects based on recommendations here to complete the picture. So onto rediscovering my LPs next. :-)

In related news installed a cupboard for my CDs in my listening room. Still got some spaces so I better get buying.

IMAG0188.jpg

Edited by crisis

So what is this Schiit?

Tonight took delivery of my Schiit Mani and Audio Principe interconnects. Given they would be accompanying a 30 odd year old Rega 2 with a modest Goldring 2100 cartridge I was hopeful for a reasonable sound at best. WTF!? The first track of a circa 80s copy of Arc of A Diver, Steve Winwood, and my fat gob just hung open. I have seriously been too long between drinks. My last 2 ch system comprised of this turntable and a Rotel 100W integrated amp and KEF C45 speakers and it did not sound anything like this. Fair enough my current amp and speakers are clearly earning their money here but I cannot believe what I am hearing out of this old record player and el cheapo pre amp.

I guess by that rant you can tell I'm impressed. Time to dig out the vinyl and rediscover what these black discs actually sound like.

Edited by crisis
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

My CD player finally arrived. The shop I bought it all from loaned me a CD32 which was great but beyond my budget. I was a little concerned that coming down to the CD22 may be a bit of a disappointment and initially it sounded a little forward and hard in the mid range. I am skeptical of most things and although I know the drill about running/burning in I was hopeful rather than confident it would improve with use. I have to say after a few days it has definitely changed. The mid range issues are resolved and it sounds very nice. It sounds different from the CD32 but not necessarily in a bad way. Certainly not $1000 difference. Then I discovered the different unsampling rates. It is set to 44.1khz but i can also choose 48, 96 and 192. They all actually sound different. 192khz definitely has the most detail however I found 48khz to be better defined in the bass. This little discovery has really made this player shine. I suspect I may be a little distracted with swapping from 48 to 192 but overall I am very happy.

I am also quite pleased that the rest of the system is revealing enough to expose these differences. I should go and tell the salesperson in another store who told me my speakers wouldn't be able to resolve a difference between the Oppo 205 and a $2000 CD player....

IMGP9072.jpg

Edited by crisis
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

Well I am so excited. After many months of research and waiting for the necessary funding I have ordered my new turntable. May I just thank Peter Griffin from GrooveWorks for doing what I consider a great deal on the equipment. I have decided on a SRM Arezzo and a Rega RB220 arm. I was looking at the ubiquitous Rega 3 or perhaps 6 as well as the Gold Note Valore and the new Mobile Fidelity Studio Deck which were all around my intended budget. Stuck here in Adelaide there is not much opportunity to hear some of these so I really had to rely on reviews and feedback from people I asked.

I have to admit I was very interested in the Arezzo when I first layed eyes on it. It looks quite a bit more upmarket than its reasonable price would indicate. Hopefully it looks as good in the flesh. However aesthetics may be important but the reviews were very good. The Regas were probably a "safe" bet, the Gold Note also looks lovely and the MoFi did hold some interest but when I approached Peter for a price his offer sold me there and then.

Now there is the issue of the "upgrade path". The Venus Fly Trap like attraction that snaps the cash from ones hand if they get too close and this TT seems to have quite a few additions available to build it into the "Reference" model or near enough. This both scares and attracts me "Venus" like as it means I don't have to necessarily sell and buy new equipment when I want to upgrade but will almost certainly feel compelled to add "improvements".. The reviews do claim that the basic version I have ordered offers very good performance that is not substantially less than the effect of the added upgrades but pffft. As it transpires the lure has manifested itself already as even before I have taken delivery I have bought some Tripod Platter Mounts. :blush:

http://srm-tech.co.uk/epages/4c008923-2265-416e-a207-cc9dd8b06028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/4c008923-2265-416e-a207-cc9dd8b06028/Products/A8

arrezod-1.jpg

• Like 4

Eggcellent isolators! If you want to experiment a bit why not try to some stainless steel egg cups. Mine cost 30 cents each at an opshop and have had my Thorens TD160 with a heavier base sitting on them for 12 months.

My Ikea cabinets have a tendency to drum badly. An Ikea butcher block and 4 egg cups cost $21 and isolate extremely well. The springs are stable and settle down very quickly.

eggsolatoer.jpg.1831b3e621335417d1de9f1432012412.jpg

• Like 11

This arrived tonight.

Not exactly plug and play but a bit of fun all the same.

All up until I found the power supply didn't make the trip.. :(

Its being organised but a bit disappointing not having it for the weekend or next Monday that I had off.

Looks very nice though. Even better in the flesh. Looking forward to hearing it. :thumb:

DSC_0084.JPG

DSC_0085.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG

DSC_0087.JPG

DSC_0088.JPG

DSC_0089.JPG

DSC_0090.JPG

• Like 7

I have one of these also, with a Rega RB 301 arm.

Had Johnmath set it up recently with a Denon DL 301 Mk2 cartridge and I have been enjoying it immensely.

Not sure where he is currently. He was planning to relocate to KI I think, which might make it a bit difficult to prevail upon him in the future.:(

Good luck/listening with yours.:thumb:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimcan said:

I have one of these also, with a Rega RB 301 arm.

Had Johnmath set it up recently with a Denon DL 301 Mk2 cartridge and I have been enjoying it immensely.

Not sure where he is currently. He was planning to relocate to KI I think, which might make it a bit difficult to prevail upon him in the future.:(

Good luck/listening with yours.:thumb:

Yeah I think you told me about yours. They look superb. Just waiting for my power supply. :)

Got it spinning today. :thumb:

Have today off so some peace and quiet to rediscover some old records. Had a session this morning. You know its good when you are hearing things on records you haven't notice before.

Thanks Peter for sorting out the power supply so quickly.

DSC_0115.JPG

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Made a small upgrade to my system the other day. Moved the chair back a couple of feet...

I initially experimented with different seating positions and speaker positions and had settled on a position , that I thought was, rather close to the speakers. I found the position offered the best imaging and sound stage. Although the bass was tight and quick, the depth and impact varied between sources and records/CDs. It was clear when standing behind my seat there was a lot more bass being produced. So I moved my seat back and bang! What a difference. And the imaging has not suffered, in fact the sound stage seems to be a bit wider.

My room is sparsely furnished at this stage, we don't have any furnishings other than a couple of cabinets and my, ahem, chair, so it is a bit reflective. We have been storing cases and clothing in the room as we prepare for our trip in a couple of weeks so perhaps this has helped deaden the room a bit.

In any case it is a result and a reminder that we don't have to continually spend $1000s for "improvements".

• Like 3

On 25/11/2017 at 8:50 AM, crisis said:

Added a clear cover from a local plastic company. A tad under $200 and built specifically to the size I need with a cut out at the back so all of the crap can fit under/out. Not bad.

sm0132.jpg

sma_0134.jpg

That looks great

Would you be able to let me know which company made that for you , as I'd like to get one made for my TT?

Cheers