Hidden Figures

images_zpsq00woyub.jpg

Having read the book, I was keen to watch the movie. We planned to watch it when it was on in the theatre’s but somehow never found the time.

The movie is based on the true story of African American women Katherine Johnson. Who at a very young age shows ability to solve complex mathematics. The movie starts with some background video of Katherine as a young child, then moves onto the early sixties with Katherine, Dorothy Vaughan, and Mary Jackson all working at NASA.

As the movie progresses it starts to build on the lives of the three characters, and shows some of the issues they faced, particularly being coloured and women working at NASA. What I found fascinating was the required use of advanced mathematics based on some unknowns of space travel, particularly by Katherine to determine the re-entry point, and precise landing location for the space craft.

One of the things I didn’t get from the movie, as much as I got from the book, was the struggle for employment and the reason all three woman ended up a NASA. But it does cover some of the smarts of Dorothy, although doing a supervisor’s role couldn’t get recognition or the pay grade for the work. Who took it on herself to learn Fortran with the pending arrival of an IBM main frame, which would mean the end of her career at NASA. Likewise, the hurdles Mary had to endure to be recognised as an engineer.

All in all, a great movie. I’d give it a 4.8 out of 5 for quality of the acting, the compelling storyline, and an insight of some of the trials and tribulations of what it took to get man into space.

Apparently the movie was made using 35mm and 16mm film with a 2160p transfer in 2.39:1 and DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1.

I personally found both the video and audio fantastic on the UHD disc, and was happy the included Blu-ray appears region free.

Edited by Spearmint
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

spearmint we watched this the other day on uhd blu-ray as well. we really enjoyed the film. was a good showcase of what uhd could do as well I think. quite a bit of pop to the colours, nice clean picture. had a good audio track to support as well. i wasnt quite sure whether to buy this one on 4k uhd but am glad I did.

On 23/04/2017 at 6:28 AM, Spearmint said:

I personally found both the video and audio fantastic on the UHD disc, and was happy the included Blu-ray appears region free.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

One of the best inspirational movies I've seen for a while.  Great story telling on  struggles that even people like me go through every day.   Can't believe that she was involved until the latest shuttle landings.   

Just to recap on the above I went to a client with a colleague who was complaining about the level of service and the quality of the equipment.  These owners were on a war path and I was subjected to abuse and attitude where I could have walked outrefusing to go.  While my colleague was there, these clients were already suggesting legal action as they threw the opposition in court and were prepared do the same with us.  In a meeting back at the office, my colleague accused them  of racism and  said that they treated me like Schitt and walked out!   2 managers  and the sales executives looked at me with shock!  After that I was shrugged my shoulders and said I don't notice it! 

• Like 1

it funny you know as we had the race neutral toilets come about then... now we are talking about gender neutral toilets :D

its funny all the things we impose on ourselfs as the human race to actually make things more difficult for our selves sometimes. and these are really so self imposed...you realise when visiting people in another culture where no longer a concern... and discover they seem to have their own particular hang ups hehe