Replacing speaker drivers

Boofy0z

Hi all,

Real audio amateur here with a question for any experts out there,

I have these speakers

I have 4 brand new drivers coming from France via Whatmough, yes 'THANK YOU' Kee

Question is, I removed the 4 screws holding a driver in and nothing, I could not budge it at all, is there something I am missing.

Thanks in advance all!

I can't speak with any direct knowledge of these speakers bit sometimes they are 'glued' on with a silicon type compound as well..................or they can be just stuck to the paint.

I've used a paint scraper in the past to break a glued on paper gasket on various speakers.

• Like 1

Try letting Mr. Gravity help you to do the work.

Tip them over so that the drivers to face down and tap the box with a rubber mallet to help things along.

When you hear them moving out pray the drivers out with screwdriver.

Be extra super careful anytime you go anywhere near the drivers a screwdriver, knife or anything pointy. It's best to approach the situation as if every tool with a pointy end has a mind of it's own and is determined to damage your drivers.

They will find a way if you let them!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, robc said:

Be extra super careful anytime you go anywhere near the drivers a screwdriver, knife or anything pointy. It's best to approach the situation as if every tool with a pointy end has a mind of it's own and is determined to damage your drivers.

They will find a way if you let them!

I was going to say that but they are stuffed anyway.............

10 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

I was going to say that but they are stuffed anyway.............

True, One is salvageable to keep as a spare since these drivers are super dooper rare.  I just figured pop the screws out it comes but nope.

On one of the real bad ones I was able to stick fingers though gap to pull on the frame itself, no dice.

There is nothing inside at the back or the speaker, like n extra screw or whatever?

Apologies for my complete n00bness at this.

Regards

:)

Edited by Boofy0z

9 minutes ago, Boofy0z said:

Be careful!............they're out of stock!

Sticking your fingers through.........you may have been pulling on the wood.

It's a quite thick frame on the speaker.

I'm thinking they are just stuck in there through a combination of precision routing and glues in the wood.

Does the back come off?

You could try an oversized screw in the hole which threads into the speaker frame. One you screw it into the metal frame use a claw hammer to lever it out like pulling out a nail. Make sure you put a piece of timber on the speaker front to lever on so you don't damage the timber of your speaker.

This is how John at Aranmar acoustics gets tight fitting drivers out.

Edited by gat474
typo
  • Like 8

Try letting Mr. Gravity help you to do the work.

Tip them over so that the drivers to face down and tap the box with a rubber mallet to help things along.

if this doesn't work get some hooks with oversized screw end then screw them into screw holes and pull 

3 hours ago, gat474 said:

You could try an oversized screw in the hole which threads into the speaker frame

That would be the way to do it, if just levering something sharp-ish (like a small flat blade screwdriver) to lift it out doesn't work.

Troels Gravesen somewhere on his massive site recommends "pre-threading" two of the driver holes before installing for just this occasion.

10 hours ago, Boofy0z said:

Hi all,

Real audio amateur here with a question for any experts out there,

I have these speakers

I have 4 brand new drivers coming from France via Whatmough, yes 'THANK YOU' Kee

Question is, I removed the 4 screws holding a driver in and nothing, I could not budge it at all, is there something I am missing.

Thanks in advance all!

Me again!!........

Congrats on scoring new drivers!!

Back when I had 303's a mate borrowed them for a party and blew a driver.

I took the whole speaker to Whatmough and they replaced it so I don't exactly know how.

Why not ask Kee for advice if you are concerned.

I would expect that they should come out once you remove the screws but I guess the snug fit is making things tougher.

I remember having to lean one of my subs right over before I could get the 15' driver out.......weighed a ton and was a PITA.

At least you are dealing with smaller drivers!!!

Good luck and be careful not to ruin that beautiful Bubinga finish.

Once they're safely in I can guarantee you will be very happy so it's well worth it

BTW..........still waiting for my centre speaker pic!!!!!!     

If the oversized screw and levering suggestions don't work perhaps try taking out the plug or similar housing and if it leads to the inside behind the drivers, a stick or rod could be placed against the woofers and lightly tapped to dislodge the drivers.

Also, could the tweeter be taken out and get a hand inside and push the woofers out.

Update

All 4 new drivers arrived today all packed nice and sweet, turns out one of my originals is fine so I have ended up with a brand new spare !  Have to be happy about that considering these might be the last new ones on earth lol

Also getting old ones out - screwed in a bigger bolt, used hammer against the old speaker frame itself, easy as pie.  There were spots of glue around them.

Quick note, OMG the sounds people wow !!

IMG_1377.JPG

Edited by Boofy0z
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack but I thought this existing thread might be relevant.

When replacing drivers, what must one consider?

What exists? What ohms they are?

Existing sensitivity etc?

I am contemplating replacing the drivers in my currently purchased D'appolito configured speakers.

The actual existing speakers are-

woofers- Vifa M26WR-09, 8 ohm, sens- 2.83v/1m88.5Db

mid woofers- Vifa P13WH-00, 8 ohm, sens-2.83v/1m88Db

Tweeters- Scanspeak D2905/950000, 6ohm, sens- 2.83v/1m 90Db

My amps are Parasound JC1's with 400W @ 8ohms and I do like to wick it up.

Am looking at trying to get drivers that can handle some good power and still sound nice but am wondering if this is achievable.

if not, I might need to start again, looking at actives.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Guest guru

I would want to see a picture of the internals, both x-over and cable harness to be sure of what may be a limitation if there is an obvious one or it's a collective voicing that is an issue. Some designers and manufacturers of speakers place limits on components that aren't seen and choose to use components they judge adequate and appropriate to the price point they want to sell at. Given the use of the 9500 tweeter, there has been some thought to the selection of drivers so would be interesting to see if it continues internally.

I'm sorry to say @Darren69, but changing drivers may not be the answer you're looking for.

Why I say this is that the drivers are already matched and also (assuming they have been designed properly) the enclosure will have been designed to match the drivers as well.

As indicated by @guru there may be some gain to upgrading the crossover and the internal wiring depending what they have used.

Changing the drivers would be an exhaustive exercise as first you would have to figure out what thiele/small parameters of your enclosure has and then if your lucky enough to find some drivers to match which meet your requirements  you would then have to redesign the crossover from scratch.

Essentially you would be re-engineering the speakers only backwards as usually the enclosure is designed to match the drivers.

Even then you might not like the voicing and end result.

If the speakers are not for you it might just be better to cut your losses and move them on to someone else who they're right for and look for the speakers that get it right for you. :) 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Martykt said:

I'm sorry to say @Darren69, but changing drivers may not be the answer you're looking for.

Why I say this is that the drivers are already matched and also (assuming they have been designed properly) the enclosure will have been designed to match the drivers as well.

As indicated by @guru there may be some gain to upgrading the crossover and the internal wiring depending what they have used.

Changing the drivers would be an exhaustive exercise as first you would have to figure out what thiele/small parameters of your enclosure has and then if your lucky enough to find some drivers to match which meet your requirements  you would then have to redesign the crossover from scratch.

Essentially you would be re-engineering the speakers only backwards as usually the enclosure is designed to match the drivers.

Even then you might not like the voicing and end result.

If the speakers are not for you it might just be better to cut your losses and move them on to someone else who they're right for and look for the speakers that get it right for you. :) 

Agree 100%

I wouldn't even dream of changing anything. It would be a high risk exercise with minimal ( if any ) upside and could be cost prohibitive.

Best policy if  not smitten is to move them on.

There isn't much point trying to like a certain speaker and if  upgrades at this early stage of ownership are under consideration,it doesn't portend well.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 3