Sign in to follow this  
Seandres

Tips for cable management

The back of my equipment rack is looking extremely unruly.

With an 11.2.4 system the number of cables whether it be XLR, HDMI, Trigger cables, speaker cables, network cables and power cables is getting insane.

I'm not a believer in high end power cables but have a mix of Merlin, Supra Lorad 2.5, Oyaide, Isotek and Shunyata power cables but these are so inflexible that i am tempted to remove some of them from the system as they keep coming out of the powerboards.

Does anyone have some good tips for cable management?

An idea is to go to your Electrical Wholesaler and ask for some velcro ties, used in Data cabling re usable over and over, soft and look pro.

Take the time to re run everything in groups in groups for separation, helping with eliminating and lessening the effect of cross talk between the differing media

digital

power

LV power (low volts)

XLR/Rca

cables need to be as short as practical not have heaps of additional length about the place 

Example, A Turn Table valve pre amp that is powered from a separate isolation transformer at 32vac into the pre. the 32vac cable is very susceptible to induced hum from a mains 230vac cable ;) know from experience about that one 

Good Luck, post some before and after photos.

51 minutes ago, Seandres said:

The back of my equipment rack is looking extremely unruly.

With an 11.2.4 system the number of cables whether it be XLR, HDMI, Trigger cables, speaker cables, network cables and power cables is getting insane.

I'm not a believer in high end power cables but have a mix of Merlin, Supra Lorad 2.5, Oyaide, Isotek and Shunyata power cables but these are so inflexible that i am tempted to remove some of them from the system as they keep coming out of the powerboards.

Does anyone have some good tips for cable management?

can check my post below from my system thread,

where went from  this tangled mess  that was giving me the irits,

15873984637_aa2b99b2ab_b.jpg

to this which took advantage of doing as we were renovating,

15907735319_fc3083fcd0_b.jpg

16093825575_5c8bcb3ca0_b.jpg

mainly its keeping power cables to the minimum length. swapped around some of my interconnects so appropriate length. have kept power lines dropping straight down to power board and tend where intersect at 90 deg.

will find everything you need at bunnings....

the glue / double sided tape used on the bunnings things in case of cable holders/tidies is pretty sus though so anything stuck on probably better off to pop a little self tapper / wood screw to secure instead to racking.

this is on the av side, snake pit and tangled rats nest 

15868742498_4f66c87f3d_b.jpg

to this,

15868743738_0761cf8d16_b.jpg

have since replaced those bunnings white cable clips with just their black velcro tape instead. lot neater and easier to use :)

Thanks Al, much appreciated.

58 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:

An idea is to go to your Electrical Wholesaler and ask for some velcro ties, used in Data cabling re usable over and over, soft and look pro.

Take the time to re run everything in groups in groups for separation, helping with eliminating and lessening the effect of cross talk between the differing media

digital

power

LV power (low volts)

XLR/Rca

cables need to be as short as practical not have heaps of additional length about the place 

Example, A Turn Table valve pre amp that is powered from a separate isolation transformer at 32vac into the pre. the 32vac cable is very susceptible to induced hum from a mains 230vac cable ;) know from experience about that one 

Good Luck, post some before and after photos.

Thanks Matt

This will be a mammoth task.

My equipment rack is hard to move as the are on spikes and I have 3 mono block amps that weigh about 40g each. But will definitely give it a shot. Wish I had done this at the start but was in too much of a rush to get all the equipment together. 

49 minutes ago, Seandres said:

Thanks Matt

This will be a mammoth task.

My equipment rack is hard to move as the are on spikes and I have 3 mono block amps that weigh about 40g each. But will definitely give it a shot. Wish I had done this at the start but was in too much of a rush to get all the equipment together. 

Take the time something not rushed, it can take a while but you will do it once :)

Fixing it up will help make the system sound better. 

Al's system above is excellent, even down to matching all the plugs on the gear at the patch boards :) 

Enjoy

Instead of special cable Velcro ties you can buy a roll of Velcro which you can cut to lengths you require.

I got a roll many years ago.

I got red because it goes faster.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Having cables organized that neatly will get you kicked out of the union :)

1 hour ago, spin33 said:

Instead of special cable Velcro ties you can buy a roll of Velcro which you can cut to lengths you require.

I got a roll many years ago.

i got the black version from bunnings myself (comes in a smaller roll), can just cut to length. the velcro ties which have a few here and there are a bit of a pain to be honest. the roll off stuff like you have used is much easier to use and cheaper ! 

Keep the power cords away from the signal interconnects.

Other than that I leave them messy. It reduces interactions by randomising the electrical/magnetic fields.

Greg

i did this with my cable mess

I wouldn't worry too  much about cable tidiness :)

IMG_0655.thumb.JPG.003cc75cc93e2a46acf5d02894222705.JPGIMG_0654.thumb.JPG.b19f6c7592ced3a35c81933593dcf303.JPG

I can't work out how to make the cables tidy but still being able to plug the gear in. There is no way to get behind my cabinet so I just buy cables with extra length to enable me to connect it all up. Any tips?

Velcro cable ties are wonderful!  I like this style, the tie can be fixed to the cable so it doesn't get lost.  Great for items which get plugged in and out and then stored (like the electric sander). 

image.png.b969d5b7eaa4653a0ce8a938f2340990.png

I also use tabbed cable ties to label every power plug and every cable.  It makes it so much easier when you need to remove plugs and leads.  On the hifi and on the computer. 

The pics below show one design, there is another (better) design which has the tag on top of the cable insertion point, it allows a tighter grip on cords (couldn't find a pic of it). 

image.png.5b4f0c4915671c38e576a1449d12b6f9.pngimage.png.e92391c0d1b9010673bade0b3320cbd9.png

Edited by audiofeline

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)