Noise cancelling headphone Q?'s (mostly for travel)

My wife has virtually limitless Qantas points so I apply for upgrades Melb-Dubai and Dubai-Melb twice a year. When I get a business class upgrade I probably sleep 10 of the 14 hours of that leg, a couple of stiff drinks early on helps but you don't want to get a hangover on a plane. I must be getting close to 50 European trips by now and every year the trip itself gets easier for me, but the jetlag gets worse... The first time I went to London I was awake the whole way, now I'm often asleep before we take off.

Guest rmpfyf

I started looking for noise-cancelling cans and ended up with Shure SE212 buds.

Great noise rejection, compact, comfortable, discreet, can be had with a microphone cable for phone use also.

Sound pretty good too.

17 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

I started looking for noise-cancelling cans and ended up with Shure SE212 buds.

Great noise rejection, compact, comfortable, discreet, can be had with a microphone cable for phone use also.

Sound pretty good too.

Fit is very personal with buds. I have a pair of Shure which are probably 15 years old, but I can't wear them for any length of time, my ears ache, so now use over ear cans for music and ear plugs for sleep.

Probably not wht your expecting, but these are great, I use them for generator runs and shooting mainly, they work very well.

Howard Leight R-01526 Electronic Earmuff Impact Sport Passive Hearing Protection

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff-Impact-Sport-Passive-Hearing-Protection-/272575619133?hash=item3f76c5e03d:g:B9cAAOSwXYtYuPQe

Guest rmpfyf
29 minutes ago, blybo said:

Fit is very personal with buds. I have a pair of Shure which are probably 15 years old, but I can't wear them for any length of time, my ears ache, so now use over ear cans for music and ear plugs for sleep.

It is... though these come with a range of buds for side, and they're a sort of expanding closed-cell foam... so you squeeze 'em and they expand to fit.

I thought it'd feel intrusive but it's really quite comfortable.

In ear buds with noise cancelling over the top has been recommended for optimum cancel. The constant hum of the motors takes more out of you than you think. 

Shame me the Jam Transits didn't cut it as the price is good for headphones that won't get much use. 

I need some NC phones for a 24hr flight in a few months. I'll look through the suggestions here but I know Bose have been in the NC game for longer than most. 

On 4/18/2017 at 0:35 AM, darth vader said:

I'll be honest. I'm not a can fan for the most part, but as some travelling is on the agenda, I'm looking for a good set of noise cancelling cans. Hoping I can pick the brains of some head-fi experts.

After going down the utoob rabbit hole, it seems that Steinheiser PXC-550, Bose QC35 and Sony MDR-1000x are top of the heap. Seems the Sony is this years choice so far if coin is not a problem.

On the other side of the small coin, the Jam transit seems to be ticking some boxes. 

Something inside me says even Bose are better than Dr Dre Beats, but I could be wrong there. Seems Jam have an offering at 1/4 the price of beats that, well, beats them.

So, is it worth shelling out for some better noise cancelling cans?

By that, I'm kind of asking if noise cancelling cans are worth more than just a plane trip. Are they are a serious contender for good head-fi? Or just a joke? If they are a joke, I'd be inclined to go for the Jam's to just get me some results. If they can be considered viable for good sonics I'd think of shelling out for something better.

Bear in mind, I'm coming from a vinyl/tube rig, headphones are something very new to me. Got my phone loaded with buckets of MP somethings for the trip, just not sure which way to go.

What recommendations would you give for auditioning headphones at retail stores?

I tried a few at the local JB store, there was one that let you plug your own phone in. From that it seemed that the point of sale "try me" headphone set ups are very much tailored to give the best sound, like the tv's are switched to store mode. The demo music sounded great, but music from my phone sounded like AM radio (at least that stall was honest)

Whats the best way to ask them to demo the truth?

I chucked up an ad in the WTB section, but as you can see, I know nothing. Hoping you can help.

Cheers

For two options really.

Bose Quiet Comfort 35 - best noise cancelling, comfort that depends on your ears. SQ - okay.

Sennheiser momentum wireless 2.0 - noise cancelling slightly behind Bose above,  SQ - better than Bose. Comfort - I like these very much. Cost more.

Battery life is about the same 20 - 21hrs. Both Sennhesier can Bose can be folded into it's compact casing. For looks department - I voted for Sennheiser. 

Have not heard the Sony MDR-1000x. So can't comment. Well worth a look/listen I reckon. I think all three mentioned here are good options, just down to what your preferences are.

I ended up going with the Bose QC35. I couldn't trial the Sennheisrs and although the get good reviews I wanted to put them on my head to check comfort for me.

But what sealed the deal is Myer had a sale on, got them for $409 (rrp $499). Probably good I havent tried the Sennheisers. They may be better, what I dont know wont hurt me.

Edited by darth vader
  • Like 4

Guest rmpfyf
19 hours ago, Schnuck said:

In ear buds with noise cancelling over the top has been recommended for optimum cancel. The constant hum of the motors takes more out of you than you think. 

The SE215s provide up to 37dB of noise reduction... 

...You'd need to be flying on a Cessna to want more than that.

58 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

The SE215s provide up to 37dB of noise reduction... 

...You'd need to be flying on a Cessna to want more than that.

Yeah Cessna to Amsterdam... I'll need more than noise cancelling headphones.

Those SE215's look ok. I normally stay away from the buds but haven't ever tried anything that didn't come with a phone. Might give them a go. Cheers

Guest rmpfyf
11 minutes ago, Schnuck said:

Yeah Cessna to Amsterdam... I'll need more than noise cancelling headphones.

You're a brave man :D

On 20/04/2017 at 8:24 PM, ozrayyau said:

I have 1000x and QC35, i will not buy the Bose again, very bad BT connection with my IPT6, Fiio X5iii also Onkyo DP-X1, lag quite offen, just ok with IP7+ but if just 2 metter away of the phone it start lag.

DSCF0611.JPG

I'm a bit scared to ask, but whats your impression on the Sony's?

So far I'm finding the Bose has good BT range with my iPhone.

24 minutes ago, darth vader said:

I'm a bit scared to ask, but whats your impression on the Sony's?

So far I'm finding the Bose has good BT range with my iPhone.

Hi,

It does have a LDAC function when I hook up with Sony gear, sound quality much better than the Bose, also I can leave the player some where and walk around at least 5M away without problem.

With IP6 I found I can get up to maybe 25 meters with the Bose in a good line of sight, maybe as low as 10m around brickwork and other interfering building works. Still found it pretty good though.

I'll admit I'm impressed so far. They will do what I want as I'm more concerned with using them for travel where I imagine the source BT will be in my pocket or otherwise close.

I'd imagine the Sony's do work well with other Sony stuff, Sony is pretty good at that.

@ozrayyau thanks for the feedback

7 hours ago, darth vader said:

With IP6 I found I can get up to maybe 25 meters with the Bose in a good line of sight, maybe as low as 10m around brickwork and other interfering building works. Still found it pretty good though.

I'll admit I'm impressed so far. They will do what I want as I'm more concerned with using them for travel where I imagine the source BT will be in my pocket or otherwise close.

I'd imagine the Sony's do work well with other Sony stuff, Sony is pretty good at that.

@ozrayyau thanks for the feedback

Wow, 25M.

Only one point I like Bose, comfortable.

It may no longer be relevant but the person gifted the QC20s is giving them back. She reports that the NC seems to work kinda sorta but does nothing for people talking around her. I think I can fix her ANC9s (bad battery contact by the looks) which she prefers by a long shot.

So the QC35s were probably a good choice (assuming the BT works OK for you).

• 4 weeks later...

Back from holidays now. Glad to report the QC35's worked well. The NC was gold on the plane over with a new mum and dad having lots of trouble settling their new baby. No doubt the poor kid was having hell with cabin pressure and such, poor kid screamed for 10 hrs out of 15. The headphones were great.

On the down side, I see what a few guys said about earbuds. Headphones are not great for sleeping on a plane unless your happy with your head facing forward. Just the nature of cans I guess. That might be ok for short haul stuff, but the long haul Sydney to Dallas was different.

BT was great when I was using the phone to listen too, but I didn't foresee that if I wanted to use the in flight entertainment I had to plug the cord in. Traps for new travellers I guess, lol.

13 minutes ago, darth vader said:

Back from holidays now. Glad to report the QC35's worked well. The NC was gold on the plane over with a new mum and dad having lots of trouble settling their new baby. No doubt the poor kid was having hell with cabin pressure and such, poor kid screamed for 10 hrs out of 15. The headphones were great.

On the down side, I see what a few guys said about earbuds. Headphones are not great for sleeping on a plane unless your happy with your head facing forward. Just the nature of cans I guess. That might be ok for short haul stuff, but the long haul Sydney to Dallas was different.

BT was great when I was using the phone to listen too, but I didn't foresee that if I wanted to use the in flight entertainment I had to plug the cord in. Traps for new travellers I guess, lol.

That is why I recommended the cheap Audio Technica  ANC33is ear buds - at $79, they work just as well as the full sized cans and you can sleep with them plugged in. They also come with the double 3.5mm adaptor for the IFE socket.

Doesn't the QC35 come with cords so that you can plug into the IFE?

Edited by Sir Triode

On 25/04/2017 at 8:56 PM, john.reekie said:

It may no longer be relevant but the person gifted the QC20s is giving them back. She reports that the NC seems to work kinda sorta but does nothing for people talking around her. I think I can fix her ANC9s (bad battery contact by the looks) which she prefers by a long shot.

So the QC35s were probably a good choice (assuming the BT works OK for you).

Active NC only works on background noise, like the drone of engines or a whining child (see above) etc. I also have Shure noise isolating in ears which work better for talking, but you have to take them out to hear anything a hostie has to say, which is annoying as they wrap around your ear before insertion. I also find them uncomfortable for extended use.

5 minutes ago, darth vader said:

Yeah, got to take ear plugs too, if you know you are going to sleep for a decent timeframe. I have my first long haul with the Sennheisers coming up in a couple of weeks. First time with BT NC phones on a plane, the cable hasn't been used yet ;)