Sell my Linn and upgrade to what?

G’day all,

I have a 1977/78 Linn Sondek LP12 and although I’m highly tempted, I don’t want to do any upgrades (again).

Instead, I want to change to a simpler turntable which isn’t upgradable, to remove any ‘upgrade-itis’ and just be happy with what I have. Don’t get me wrong, I like the turntable and how it sounds, but I can’t help but be sucked into the plethora of (mostly expensive) upgrade options, and I envy all those people with their Klydes, Keels, Radikals and Ovakills! 

I’d like opinions as to whether or not I’ll get better performance for equal (or a bit more) money, by selling the Linn and buying something else - like a Funk Firm Vector V. I haven’t listened to one yet - I want to assess my options first and seek opinions, but it appeals to me because it’s potentially an endgame-component to begin with, which doesn’t tempt you down an upgrade path. It doesn’t have an external PSU (or require an upgrade to one), has a DC motor, and has a simple speed switch on the turntable itself. I am open to having the ability to upgrade the tonearm over time. An all-in-one unit without external components is a preference - I’m trying to trim down my ‘bits’.

So my question is, what is my Linn worth and is there a turntable/arm that will better it for similar money? I don’t have the budget to go spending heaps more.

Linn specs:

Original Afromosia non-braced plinth, bearing, motor, spot welded sub-chassis, etc.

Overhauled by Craig Salter ‘Promusica’ a few years ago and he installed the following:

New Rega RB251, Michell Tecnoweight, Michell 3-point VTA adjuster.

Mose Hercules PSU

New armboard

New belt, mat, springs, etc, along with service and rebuild.

My meagre setup:

Quasimodo Mini 20wpc (Richard McDonald)

'Mimic’ (Mark/Retro Thermionic) MM Battery Phono

DCM Time Window speakers

I upgraded my LP12 all the way to a Keel/Radikal/Ekos SE and still wasn't happy. So I sold it and went through a number of turntables, from very expensive to merely moderately expensive.

The two turntables I have kept are a Rega RP8 and a Kuzma Stabi S with Audio Origami PU7 arm. I preferred both of these to my LP12, even though they were a fraction of the price (particularly the RP8).

I think you need to decide whether you actually like the sound of your LP12. The LP12 upgrades are always there, but they are not compulsory, and frankly I felt were mostly a waste of money. The Rega and Kuzma turntables are simpler and have no real upgrade options (although plenty of tweaks are available), but you may not necessarily prefer how they sound. There are obviously other options as well. Another alternative is to keep your Rega arm and use it with another turntable, such as the Stabi S.

I think you should compare your LP12 to a few alternatives before making a decision. If you really are, as you say, happy with what you have, buying something different may be an expensive mistake.

• Like 2

Ross, I have a LP12 with Grace 707 arm, Pink Triangle PT Too with Kuzma Stogi arm & a Kuzma Stabi S with Stogi S arm.

The Kuzma Stabi S is by far my favourite combination. It was also by far the best value for money spent.

But even it has many upgrade paths available. there are different tonearms, outboard speed control, platter rim weight and so on.

I bought it as the LP12 upgrade path is expensive.

25 minutes ago, flanders said:

@rossb @Pegasus

How do you change the speed on the Stabi S (without the outboard controller)?

I don't think my LP12 would fetch anywhere near as much as the Stabi S or Rega RP8 would it?

Thanks for the replies so far.

The speed is changed by moving the belt on the pulley.

I'm not sure what your LP12 would fetch, but a basic Stabi S without tonearm is not all that expensive. (There is one on ebay in the UK now:  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KUZMA-STABI-S-TURNTABLE-KENT-/282352407000?hash=item41bd83d1d8:g:tH0AAOSwNnRYmMne ). You could have a chat to Warwick at Puremusicgroup about the cost of a new Stabi - I found his prices quite reasonable.

However, if you really are limited to what you could get for your LP12, you might have to look at something like a Rega RP6 or Planar 3, or a Project turntable, but these may well be a downgrade from your LP12.

From the manual:

Speed 45 rpm:
The pulley fitted is for 33 rpm. Find the black plastic crown pulley ring which fits over the
existing motor pulley increasing the diameter of the motor pulley and bringing the speed up
to 45 rpm. To do this the platter must first be removed and, with clean fingers, stretch the
belt away from the motor pulley while, with the other hand, pushing down crown pulley
ring. Make sure the thicker ridge goes down.

I also suggest you have a chat with Warwick. He is very easy to work with.

• 6 months later...

Old thread now, but I failed to mention that I've got an old Lenco L75, in pieces, waiting to be put back together. I've finally mustered up the courage to take on the project, so bought a PTP6 and will build a plinth for it. Hopefully it'll have the Linn shaking in its springs by the time I'm finished!

• Like 1

Yep that will do it.. 

With a compatible plinth of coause.

Im also a big fan of the electronic speed control. I made my own using Nigels from Lenco heavens circuit board.....oh wait you wanted to stay away from upgrades:lol:

9 hours ago, awty said:

Yep that will do it.. 

With a compatible plinth of coause.

Im also a big fan of the electronic speed control. I made my own using Nigels from Lenco heavens circuit board.....oh wait you wanted to stay away from upgrades:lol:

Unfortunately, making a speed controller is way beyond me - I'm gonna need help wiring up the motor as it is! Did it improve the sound @awty?

13 hours ago, flanders said:

Unfortunately, making a speed controller is way beyond me - I'm gonna need help wiring up the motor as it is! Did it improve the sound @awty?

The PTP and a plinth is by far the most important upgrade on the  lenco.

The speed control and a few other up grades are just the cherry on top.

The main plus with the speed control is that it tames the 250volt mains. I set mine at around 210 volts which makes the motor smother and quieter. 

Also allows for adjusting and changing the speeds electronicly.

The basic wiring of the motor is pretty straight forward, but if you haven't much experience with that stuff might pay to get someone that does to do it for you.

Look forward to seeing some pics when its up and running.