EXPIRED: Holton Zero Five Zero Introductory Offer!

On 20/01/2018 at 8:27 PM, Aussieamps said:

Hi @Mungbean66

I am currently developing the stand alone pre-amp, from this the integrated will be completed, ETA would be around March 2018.

Price range between $2500-3900 depending on options.

Do you know how much the stand alone pre will cost yet? Also, what are the main differences to the Geisler pre?

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/103617-new-preamplifier-ugrade/

• Like 2

Hi @Mike13

The Holton 101 Preamp will approximate cost $3.5K

It will be a fully balanced high bandwidth ultra low THD+N topology preamp capable of accepting XLR as well as RCA inputs 3 selectable inputs in total

and Balanced XLR and RCA outputs.

The volume control on this will be a Gold Point 24 position stepped attentuator; manual control only on this unit.

RCA Record buffered loop outputs and HT Bypass capable on the 3rd selectable input.

12v trigger output to remotely control power on/off on the Holton power amplifiers.

It will also have high grade headphone amplifier with 6.35mm output on the front panel.

All coupling input and output capacitors will be audio grade Metalised polypropylene or MKP

The chassis for the preamp will fully CNC machined anodised 10mm front and back panels;

To match the current range of Holton power amplifiers, such as the Holton Five-Zero-Zero power amplifier

Expected dimensions will be 400mm Wide x 80mm High x 300mm Deep and approximate net weight 5kg+

• Like 1

On 22/01/2018 at 8:30 PM, Mike13 said:

Thanks for the detail. Is there a way to try your products outside of Tassie?

(BTW I see the HT bypass will help with my laziness problem)

@Mike13

Currently there is no dealers of Holton Audio products in Melbourne, however there are a number of customers that might be willing to 

let you audition their Holton gear.

Edited by Aussieamps

2 hours ago, Aussieamps said:

@Mike13

Currently there is no dealers of Holton Audio products in Melbourne, however there are a number of customers that might be willing to 

let you audition their Holton gear.

Ok no worries. I keep buying stuff without trying it in my system. I’ll keep an eye out for when your pre is ready. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Thought you would like an update on the preamp and integrated amplifier.

Currently I am buried in the design of the stand alone pre-amp, which is moving ahead very well.

Between getting prototype panels machined and developing new technology to handle the functions within the preamp PCB design of main board and front panel electronics it all takes quite a lot of time. :)

The integrated amplifier will have all the good stuff from the stane alone preamp once it has been developed.

Here is some photos of the prototype front and back panels.

Just trying out some different components for the panels, the volume knob is a custom machined out of solid aluminium and designed to fit

to the Goldpoint Stepped attentuator.

The front panel switch and headphones jack shown are just tryouts they will not be used they will have proximity switch input selection and power on/off.

_MG_1378.JPG

_MG_1379.JPG

_MG_1380.JPG

_MG_1381.JPG

• Like 8
  • Love 1

No doubt that you've been very busy Anthony!
Are you considering offering a neutrik powercon or similar locking power connector instead of the standard IEC?
Are you concurrently working on a remote volume unit? I think many people, myself included, would be happy to have remote volume even if there were no manual volume adjustment; removing motor noise and circuitry, but from the other direction?
Will you also offer semi-custom options, eg no headphone jack on this model?
I'm sure whatever you come up with will be stellar, regardless! [emoji4]

• Thanks 1

Hi Steve

You have raised some interesting points?

yes i do like the powercon connectors, i tried introducing those quite a number of years ago in my power amplifiers. No body wanted them because they wanted to be able to use their very expensive snake oil jug kettle cords.

i would love to be able to use  powercon

but i suspect mans love affair with the IEC connector has not ended?

The remote control is in the works for sure.

It is really hard to come to the fact that there is no such thing as a perfect volume control and yet it is the one component in the audio chain the can have the most profound effect on sound quality in almost every way.

The goal for this preamp is to use the best analog volume control without breaking the bank. Remote volume control for the most part are full of compromise. 

It is really hard to come up with a remote controlled volume that doesn’t cause some problem a long the way or just plain sounds dreadful or has those annoying clicking and popping relays as you adjust the level up and down.

One of the best volume controls i used in a Smart Dac i help to produce was done in the digital domain, basically and practically perfect IMHO.

but it requires a real nicely designed DAC

with some processing power behind it to do it right.?

Regarding the headphone jack i would be happy to leave it out if it suited everybody.

just one less thing i have to add?

But i suspect it might be on the same level as the IEC connector.

some feedback would be good?

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Aussieamps
  • Like 1

I actually don't mind the idea of the powercon connector, but is it that easy to buy power cables with them installed ? I have never personally seen one in a shop. Even a quick google search turned up very little in the way of complete cables with that connector. Perhaps that implies it may be "nice" if that cable is supplied with the amp ?? (even if you add the cost to the RRP or perhaps make it an option, ie $50-$75.00 etc.)

Remote volume for me in the integrated is mandatory - as problematic as that sounds from what you have said above - I really hope to own one of your amps one day and love integrated's - but without this feature it is not a proposition for me.

The headphone jack is not important for me, it would be nice, but not if it increases the cost significantly or compromises performance in other areas. Separate headphone amps are in abundance..

2 minutes ago, Ray H said:

I actually don't mind the idea of the powercon connector, but is it that easy to buy power cables with them installed ? I have never personally seen one in a shop. Even a quick google search turned up very little in the way of complete cables with that connector. Perhaps that implies it may be "nice" if that cable is supplied with the amp ?? (even if you add the cost to the RRP or perhaps make it an option, ie $50-$75.00 etc.)

Remote volume for me in the integrated is mandatory - as problematic as that sounds from what you have said above - I really hope to own one of your amps one day and love integrated's - but without this feature it is not a proposition for me.

The headphone jack is not important for me, it would be nice, but not if it increases the cost significantly or compromises performance in other areas. Separate headphone amps are in abundance..

Thanks Ray

I really appreciate your feedback.

The Powercon connector is a really good device, but its not viable to offer it as an option as the cost of getting two different rear panels machined

is hard to justify given that only a few might want this option.

Good point about the headphone option though, might be a case for leaving it out of the pre-amp.

Also noted on the remote control, this will be included in the integrated amplifier.

44 minutes ago, Aussieamps said:

Thanks Ray

I really appreciate your feedback.

The Powercon connector is a really good device, but its not viable to offer it as an option as the cost of getting two different rear panels machined

is hard to justify given that only a few might want this option.

Good point about the headphone option though, might be a case for leaving it out of the pre-amp.

Also noted on the remote control, this will be included in the integrated amplifier.

Gday Anthony,

Thanks for the quick update. I wasn't suggesting have the powercon as an option vs. IEC on the back of the amp - rather POWERCON is the power cable connector, the option is that they either get a powercon cable from you (ie thus the $50 increased cost) when they buy the amp or buy their own from elsewhere.

Hope that makes sense. I can see others balking though, and it revolves around your point of the desire to use after market power cables.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Gday Anthony,

Thanks for the quick update. I wasn't suggesting have the powercon as an option vs. IEC on the back of the amp - rather POWERCON is the power cable connector, the option is that they either get a powercon cable from you (ie thus the $50 increased cost) when they buy the amp or buy their own from elsewhere.

Hope that makes sense. I can see others balking though, and it revolves around your point of the desire to use after market power cables.

no worries mate, thanks for that. :)

Not trying to be a pain, but this thread is really interesting, but located in the wrong place. Could it possibly be moved by a moderator into the correct location? Maybe the Holton thread? Or the two channel amplifier topic?

Anyway, great reading! I look forward to more details about the Pre, as I am now decided on my quest to build a hi end, Australian made system!

• Like 1

Hi Everyone

I have started a new thread in the Holton Precision Audio forum for all those interested in the up and coming Holton 101 Pre-Amplifier.

I planned to show the build and design journey of this unit, I think you will find this interesting.

Here is the link.

I will also start a new thread for the Holton Integrated Amplifier as well.

So please come and visit the new threads at the Holton Precision Audio Forum and please register your interest by clicking on the Follow button.

That way you will get notified of any updates within the thread.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...