Sign in to follow this  
Aussieamps

EXPIRED: Holton Zero Five Zero Introductory Offer!

OK so we have the following possible features for the Zero-Five-Zero SE.

Might have to rethink the Model number to One-Zero Zero SE, open to suggestions? :)

100W 8 0hms - 200W 4 Ohms - ~400W 2 Ohms, The 2 Ohm Power rating might be quite an ask; to sustain 2 ohms both channels would require lots of output devices

lots of filter caps and a very large power transformer. Around 1.5kva core would do it.

3 RCA inputs, 1 Line Out

HQ volume control

AL machined Front and back panels

Initial case size 300mm x 200mm x 150mm

With the possibility of making it deeper?

Edited by Aussieamps

HT Bypass seems a popular feature these day (I know it's a must have for me).

Power is more than enough for most people.

I only use XLR in my system, but appreciate I'm not the in the majority I suspect.

I only use XLR in my system, but appreciate I'm not the in the majority I suspect.

HT bypass is a must-have for me.

42 minutes ago, Marc said:

HT Bypass can be added.

One XLR input could be an option, the 050 amp has a balanced input by nature but adding a mixture of the two input types can be a bit messy.

balanced volume controls adds a lot more complex wiring, so it would be simpler to have unbalanced volume control for the RCA inputs and have an active balanced input

which is then converted to unbalanced internally to the volume control.

I do understand this will be a special edition,but it may be worth considering that we shouldn't over egg the pudding .

Case in point. Do we really need an amplifier that makes 400Winto 2 ohms? Seriously ?

I think 100W into 8 and 180 into 4 is absolutely sufficient, with 2 ohm capability for short durations as is the case right now with the 050. We are not building another Krell here.

I also think this should be as minimalist as possible while still being useful for most people and also for keeping the price affordable for most people( around $2K ) and I don't think we need a Swiss Army Knife amplifier.

As Anthony has stated..............2 or 3 RCA inputs, HQ volume control,line out and remote would be ideal

Just my 02

4 minutes ago, rantan said:

I do understand this will be a special edition,but it may be worth considering that we shouldn't over egg the pudding .

Case in point. Do we really need an amplifier that makes 400Winto 2 ohms? Seriously ?

I think 100W into 8 and 180 into 4 is absolutely sufficient, with 2 ohm capability for short durations as is the case right now with the 050. We are not building another Krell here.

I also think this should be as minimalist as possible while still being useful for most people and also for keeping the price affordable for most people( around $2K ) and I don't think we need a Swiss Army Knife amplifier.

As Anthony has stated..............2 or 3 RCA inputs, HQ volume control,line out and remote would be ideal

Just my 02

Totally agree. It has to be very minimalist. Not necessary to over complicate things. One balanced input and 2/3 RCA inputs just to keep both sides happy. Maybe Holton One Zero Zero SNE (Stereo Net Edition)?

EDIT: Oooh, also maybe an orange LED on the volume knob to go with the SNA logo!

Edited by Cardiiiii

1 minute ago, rantan said:

Just my 02

I think that is a really good point, it is not hard to produce an amplifier that can handle 2 ohm loads for short periods of time and keep the cost down.

Large power supplies are very expensive.

So keeping the power output to around 200 watt per channel into 4 ohms with the ability of short sustained bursts into 2 ohms would be a better way of going.

If it's going to be minimalist (and it should be), then ditch the XLRs and forget about a phono stage.

And orange LED on the power button as well (obviously) :)

2 minutes ago, twwen2 said:

If it's going to be minimalist (and it should be), then ditch the XLRs and forget about a phono stage.

OK how does others feel about that, I think it is a good way of going as well?

Just now, Aussieamps said:

OK how does others feel about that, I think it is a good way of going as well?

Definitely.

Phono stages and balanced topography add a lot more complexity,but I certainly don't claim technical expertise here merely a lot of experience with a wide variety of amplifiers over many years ( just like many other SNA people )

4 minutes ago, rantan said:

Definitely.

Phono stages and balanced topography add a lot more complexity,but I certainly don't claim technical expertise here merely a lot of experience with a wide variety of amplifiers over many years ( just like many other SNA people )

External add on's can be produced for XLR and Phono amps at a later date for those that want these options. :)

Edited by Aussieamps

40 minutes ago, twwen2 said:

37 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

And orange LED on the power button as well (obviously) :)

Agreed!

So WiFi, feeding power status and geographic location back to StereoNET's servers so we can run a widget showing how many people are listening to music is out of the question? :)

One little ( but most important thing ) please don't make it with a blue LED for the power light indicator. Pale yellow, green or maybe red are fine:)

I think it's a necessity it has to be orange :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNA orange sounds like a plan:)

So long as it isn't blue I don't mind though

2 minutes ago, Marc said:

I think it's a necessity it has to be orange :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, no need for obvious SNA branding, the orange LEDs will tell you its a SNE.

Edited by Cardiiiii

3 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

Yup, no need for obvious SNA branding, the orange LEDs will tell you its a SNE.

OK Orange LED indication it is. :)

15 minutes ago, Marc said:

So WiFi, feeding power status and geographic location back to StereoNET's servers so we can run a widget showing how many people are listening to music is out of the question? :)

Hmmm perhaps not... but you never know your luck in a big city.

7 hours ago, Aussieamps said:

OK so we have the following possible features for the Zero-Five-Zero SE.

Might have to rethink the Model number to One-Zero Zero SE, open to suggestions? :)

100W 8 0hms - 200W 4 Ohms - ~400W 2 Ohms, The 2 Ohm Power rating might be quite an ask; to sustain 2 ohms both channels would require lots of output devices

lots of filter caps and a very large power transformer. Around 1.5kva core would do it.

3 RCA inputs, 1 Line Out

HQ volume control

AL machined Front and back panels

Initial case size 300mm x 200mm x 150mm

With the possibility of making it deeper?

What a pity...in my opinion there is no such thing as too much current...

The larger the quality transformer the better...

Does not have to double down to 2 Ohms...

My wish list would be BJT's rather than MOSFETS...

But that is just me...

What a pity...in my opinion there is no such thing as too much current...
The larger the quality transformer the better...
Does not have to double down to 2 Ohms...
My wish list would be BJT's rather than MOSFETS...
But that is just me...

Seriously, you want to fundamentally change the design now?

Some of you guys need to take a breath and think a bit more rationally about this. We're talking about a special edition of an existing design, not "here's my shopping list for the perfect amplifier" that would require a ground-up redesign.

I think that's a fair point. Let's leave this one with its feature-set as it is essentially.

Perhaps we could work with Anthony on another thread for a "cost no object" or "amp of desire" for another build idea?

4 minutes ago, Marc said:

I think that's a fair point. Let's leave this one with its feature-set as it is essentially.

Perhaps we could work with Anthony on another thread for a "cost no object" or "amp of desire" for another build idea?

Agreed, I think we should take the basic 100W version of the ZFZ and turn that into the SNE. Not much fun if we add 'ideal' features, like Marc said, we can keep that for another thread. Besides, we need to keep the cost at around the $2k mark or we might be pricing most people out of this amp. 

Ive been lucky enough to hear a few of Anthonys amps, including a few of these now and I'm not sure much needs to be changed. For a "basic" amp it puts others I've seen/heard in the same price range to shame.

18 minutes ago, Upfront said:

Ive been lucky enough to hear a few of Anthonys amps, including a few of these now and I'm not sure much needs to be changed. For a "basic" amp it puts others I've seen/heard in the same price range to shame.

It it is important to remember that the existing 050 power amplifier is a very high performance amp at a budget price.

most certainly you can always make improvements and make it drive 1 Ohm loads continuously if you really want to, but all of this comes at a price.

The original brief for the SE is to take the original design and make it into an integrated amplifier and keep it minimalist in its approach; again to keep cost down.

i am certainly open also to a "no cost object design" on another thread if others are interested :)