EXPIRED: Holton Zero Five Zero Introductory Offer!

Just now, Aussieamps said:

It it is important to remember that the existing 050 power amplifier is a very high performance amp at a budget price.

The original brief for the SE is to take the original design and make it into an integrated amplifier and keep it minimalist in its approach; again to keep cost down.

I think this needs to be pointed out again. The 050 is obviously a great design from the get go and if it ain't broke................

The whole idea is to make it into an integrated amplifier to widen the appeal,but keeping it relatively minimalist is the best way to retain the essence of the original design and keep things affordable for most people

• Like 5

• Volunteer
7 minutes ago, rantan said:

I think this needs to be pointed out again. The 050 is obviously a great design from the get go and if it ain't broke................

The whole idea is to make it into an integrated amplifier to widen the appeal,but keeping it relatively minimalist is the best way to retain the essence of the original design and keep things affordable for most people

I've been watching this thread with interest. These Holton amps are beautifully designed as they are. I really hope we don't end up with something that's "designed by a committee" 

• Like 3

you'll end up with the homer mobile... resist the urge @Aussieamps

latest?cb=20090908145331

all things for all people and yet nothing end up bringing something no one wants... :D 

theres not hing wrong with a nice high quality power amp.

sure if you can make into an integrated, but then we will want remote control...input switching .... a HT bypass, 12 V triggering inbuilt dacs...then it will be a media streamer...etc etc :D

ps instead of all that could just do  stand alone pre amp. 

ps wht would be great to add to the power amp though is twin switchable inputs... people will be able to use this with all pre amps that dont have the ht bypass feature :)

With respect, I disagree entirely

I think it is pretty well established that this will be kept as simple as possible and I have not seen any evidence here of people wanting DAC, 12v switching or media streaming.

The whole idea is to increase its appeal by producing an integrated with the same essential facilities as the 050. I think that far from something nobody wants, it will be something many people will want. Many people don't want a pre/power set up and like the convenience of an integrated and I for one, can't wait to see it produced

• Like 8

I'm with him too ^^.

We need to see what's the best no frills integrated amp we (i.e. Anthony) can build for under $2k. We should discuss things like power output, number and types of input, etc. No unnecessary ad ons like DAC/streamer/phono stage, etc. This is an integrated amp only. Otherwise this idea will never become a reality as we will all want too many different things.

Maybe in the future Anthony and Clay can get together and build a true all in one amp/dac/streamer thingy.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Aussieamps said:

It it is important to remember that the existing 050 power amplifier is a very high performance amp at a budget price.

most certainly you can always make improvements and make it drive 1 Ohm loads continuously if you really want to, but all of this comes at a price.

The original brief for the SE is to take the original design and make it into an integrated amplifier and keep it minimalist in its approach; again to keep cost down.

i am certainly open also to a "no cost object design" on another thread if others are interested :)

OK...lets do it...

Design brief for 2 x monos...

Design brief for 1 x iintegrated...

How do we progress...

Just now, Rob181 said:

OK...lets do it...

How do we progress...

We have progressed quote a lot on the integrated. Possibly to the point where there is a consensus about its design and features. Very high quality simplicity are the key descriptors.

52 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

OK...lets do it...

How do we progress...

2 monos? Just buy a pair of the existing 050 amps.  :)

1 minute ago, soundfan said:

2 monos? Just buy a pair of the existing 050 amps.  :)

That what I thought Chris, but I didn't post it because I thought I had missed something that was obvious to everyone but myself:)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

Ah can the zero five zero be used in a mono config? What's the power output in mono config?

Yes the zero five zero can be used in bridged mono mode

the 50 watt version in mono bridge mode produces 160 watts into 8 ohms

the 100 watt version produces around 300 watts into 8 ohms.

3 hours ago, custom_made said:

@Aussieamps
The 100wpc 050 is $1990
The SNA special edition would add 3 RCA inputs, HQ volume control, remote, ht bypass, larger case, orange led, etc.
Is it realistic to expect you to produce this for under $2000?

No it is not realistic, there will be another tier of electronics

which will require its own separate PCB and quality components.:)

• Like 1

Thanks. I didn't think it so either.. and this is before your labour and expertise costs.
I think people should temper their expectations in regards to price, as it wouldn't be fair to Anthony.
The 100w 050 already exists in the $2000 price bracket and from all accounts, it's worth every dollar. If you guys want to turn it into an integrated, you'd probably have to consider that as the starting point.

Edited by custom_made
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Aussieamps said:

No it is not realistic, there will be another tier of electronics

which will require its own separate PCB and quality components.:)

What if we were to make these amps in batches, would that reduce the cost a little? In batches of 10 or 25, people pay upfront? With the features we've discussed so far, what sort of price are we looking at?

A couple more build photos

Not a lot of room in there other than what is there already :) 

Photo is of the front of Amp and what lurks behind the decorative milled anodised fascia

Photo was taken before all the heat shrinks were applied to the high volts mains connectors. It was a mock up for testing the 35 x 35v  225va Transformer 

Also depicted is the 30v Harbuch Transformer.

IMG_4943.JPG

IMG_4939.JPG

To me after building Holton 050 amps (for self consumption purposes) would suggest that a separate matching case pre amplifier with  a volume pot, inputs and outputs be considered + maybe a very high end Holton Designed DAC as well.:love:party

The only thing that I see of real benefit to the existing 050 design is input and output connectors on the 050 back panel to facilitate parallel connection of amplifier inputs for mono configuration, rather than Y connectors however if an active arrangement fed via DSP this wouldn't be required.

Also go to a 150mm high case so as bigger Transformers can be used as at the moment it's tight, 1mm tight in fact with literally no room for any thing else really

14 hours ago, Cardiiiii said:

What if we were to make these amps in batches, would that reduce the cost a little? In batches of 10 or 25, people pay upfront? With the features we've discussed so far, what sort of price are we looking at?

A list of those that would be interested in the Holton 100 Integrated amp would be very helpful.

and once the design is complete and I am ready to do a production run, pre-payment would be very much appreciated. :)

It is hard to exactly know for sure how much it would be at this stage, but a ball park figure would be around $2500.00 + Shipment 

• Like 1

Just as an update to this thread, I have had some expressions of interest via PM in purchasing the Holton integrated amplifier when it is released.

I am expecting the development time to be at least 4-5 months which will bring it up to around October-November 2017.

If anyone else is interested please feel free to PM me or publicly post your support; I am not expecting anyone to make a definite commitment, just some expressions of interest.

This will help me with how many I can expect to sell and tool up for when the time comes. :)

• Like 2

On 7/2/2017 at 8:20 PM, Aussieamps said:

Being as I've ordered a second 100 watt 050 so I can do the mono block thing I like those numbers.:D

Edited by Hergest
  • Like 1