EXPIRED: Holton Zero Five Zero Introductory Offer!

12 hours ago, Luc said:

Lovely looking bit of kit.

I had a yarn and a quiet beer last year with Anthony in the lounge/bar at Marc's show and he had his big amps on display and didn't want to take them back to Tassie and offered them at a  really keen price. And yes he was tired and worn out at the time. If I could of knocked a 0 off them I'd of grabbed them:love

But alas still way out of my league but I think Marc has them now in his system so perhaps they never went back over Bass Strait.

@Aussieamps  Anthony, what are it's dimensions and weight?

@Luc Hi Luc

Nice to here from you.

The Mono block amps now in Europe with one of the higher end loudspeaker manufactures.

http://www.soulsonicspeakers.com/

We will be getting a review from them as well as a review Matej from monoandstereo.com.

The dimensions of the NX050 amplifier are 300mm x 200mm x 100mm so nice and compact as a bookshelf style power amplifier.

If you have any doubt about the performance of Anthony's amps, just try and find one on the second hand market.

Then ask yourself why so many used 'high end' amps are on the market because the owner is 'upgrading'. Something doesn't add to me.

If you have LS50's or better, get it while you can. You will most likely never see another one, let alone one at this price.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/04/2017 at 11:51 AM, robmid said:

If you have any doubt about the performance of Anthony's amps, just try and find one on the second hand market.

Then ask yourself why so many used 'high end' amps are on the market because the owner is 'upgrading'. Something doesn't add to me.

If you have LS50's or better, get it while you can. You will most likely never see another one, let alone one at this price.

:) There will be a S/H Holton 6 channel turn up on the market after it's been replaced with 3 x Holton 050 desk top Amplifiers. Had the 6 channel for 3 years now and hasn't missed a beat.

One of my 050's is in Hobart touring about and I'm enjoying listening to another one running a pair of Martin Logan CLS's, which is divine.

photo or it didn't happen :D

matts 50 x 2 rev 1 Holton NX 050.JPG

This one is fairly close to the second one made so has a black front cover

Edited by Guest

Another look at the uncompromising design, Holton 050, 100w x 2 with 225va Noratel Transformer, Revision 1 board during case fit out. picture depicts center mezzanine, inverted transformer mounting and just how compact this device really is. 

Matts 100 x 2.JPG

Edited by Guest

and another photo

IMG_1matts 100 x 2 2.JPG

Center mezzanine and surrounding heat sink effectively shields transformer EM from the amp module, makes for a super quiet amp in application

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2017 at 6:24 AM, ~Spyne~ said:

How does this Zero-Five-Five ('Supreme' version) compare to the NXV200L-R4 (advanced) kit?

Parts used, electrical performance, sonic qualities, etc?

@Aussieamps

Anthony would be able to help better than I can here, will have a go at answering your question.

Starting off with parts used, right through the amp, the amp driver circuits and FET's, power supply rectification, protection and capacitance against ripple are almost the same (identical) for the 2 types NXV200L-R4 and 050. One thing I can see which is very different is the solid state relays right at the speaker terminals for "never thump" start and stop of amp and ultimate fast shutdown in event of a fault for speaker protection, in saying that, more advanced power and speaker protection systems.

Biggests difference is the fact that the 050 has all this assembled on 1 circuit board and has a much more advanced case design/construction, with the absolute minimum of wiring which can lead to better fundamental character of the amplifier, like quieter operation due to better mechanical damping of the transformer buried down in the case behind plate aluminium. Better SNR due to superior module layout better built in shielding grids on the same circuit board among all components 

NXV200L is a DIY kit not completed so choice of case, transformer)s) and wiring methodology will have bearing on the final product as compared to the 050. One could suggest that the assembled/Holton custom case/all in one circuit on the more advanced (later model) 050 Supreme may be a little nicer all around to own.

Sonic qualities, well that depends on how the DIY kit went together and was housed.

OTOH the supreme 050 is a rather dynamic, live sounding power amplifier in a tiny case that is still undergoing some development with incremental output and output driver mods for perceived improvements. The platform and the design is proving popular as a few leak out of Manufacture and travel all over the world to their new owners who seem to be saying great things about them

Me personally, I like them and have a few here running 2 different speaker systems. Still also feeding back to Anthony on possible improvements on the design as a whole.

There seems to be a race on after more output from the 050 which I believe is not really the answer to better sonic performance, particularly when there are bigger more powerful amps available in the Holton line up

for me 100w x 2 into 8 ohms is far and away enough power for most speakers used in Family Rooms.

Hope that helps if no Anthony will correct anything or add 

IMG_1678.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Cardiiiii said:

Do you make power amps only or is it possible for you to make an integrated version of this?

Hi Joe

Current I only make power amplifiers and I am planning to produce a pre-amp as well, but no plans at this time for an integrated amp.

Most people use DACs to directly drive the power amps these days.

Edited by Aussieamps
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Aussieamps said:

Most people use DACs to directly drive the power amps these days.

I'd love to see some statistics to back up this claim - it doesn't stack up at all in my personal experience. In fact of all my HiFi mates, I can't think of one who goes direct from a DAC to a power amp.

Preamps with built-in DACs are a different kettle of fish however. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, twwen2 said:

I'd love to see some statistics to back up this claim - it doesn't stack up at all in my personal experience. In fact of all my HiFi mates, I can't think of one who goes direct from a DAC to a power amp.

Preamps with built-in DACs are a different kettle of fish however. 

Thanks for the feedback@twwen2 Just goes to show how people can have different experiences. :)

• Like 2

I now go from my Cambridge audio bluray player direct to my power amp. A month ago I was going from dac to preamp to power amp. Next month who knows.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cardiiiii said:

Do you make power amps only or is it possible for you to make an integrated version of this?

I was going to ask that too.  I guess we will just have to wait in the background for an integrated version to appear.  

1 minute ago, Cafad said:

I was going to ask that too.  I guess we will just have to wait in the background for an integrated version to appear.  

Hi @Cafad

What kind of features, power output, etc would you like to see in a Holton Integrated amplifier?

• Like 1