Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

one addition to the system - plenty of time to enjoy during lockdown.      

My current system!         Recorded handheld on my iphone with inbuilt microphone...so take it with a big dose of salt.

solace away from the girls  

An early Xmas treat - went the heathen IKEA Kallax way because it turns out that appearances do matter

😄

 

No space on top means no more... right? 
D6835B4C-4FC8-412F-9220-917506C85FA6.thumb.jpeg.23c869bf7bf6a8aa8345912836571479.jpeg

 

95429BE1-E245-402C-9849-776E98D9F90C.thumb.jpeg.46cc7bde388b7d373322b75d4a88f97e.jpeg

 

(Havnt found space for the REL yet hmmm...) ECEBF38B-C956-4E03-B0DB-CCFF5D8D1AA3.thumb.jpeg.3815c7377ab04f5340f78c7aa0b81508.jpeg


First spin: 

 

3809F39F-18E6-4BCA-9A16-0B5DF94D96A5.thumb.jpeg.e496a6c00817f8aa94b4f6838fde719e.jpeg

  • Like 16
Link to post
Share on other sites

Back into using Tidal after a gap. Feels like there is a great improvement in the quality when compared to when I used it a year back.

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey HiFi Man - that even sounds good through my computer!

 

How do you find switching between the McIntosh and the Sansui - is there a night and day difference?

Link to post
Share on other sites


Domestic bliss system.
Accuphase, Tannoy and a pair of REL Gibraltars to fill things out. It’s a big room- only a third in view.

 Yes, the speaker position could be better, but sounds pretty good
Not for critical listening. 
 

D6DA01CD-BDEC-4C9D-B121-67A0DA2166A6.jpeg

Edited by The Fresh Prince
  • Like 25
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

An early Xmas treat - went the heathen IKEA Kallax way because it turns out that appearances do matter

😄

 

No space on top means no more... right? 
D6835B4C-4FC8-412F-9220-917506C85FA6.thumb.jpeg.23c869bf7bf6a8aa8345912836571479.jpeg

 

95429BE1-E245-402C-9849-776E98D9F90C.thumb.jpeg.46cc7bde388b7d373322b75d4a88f97e.jpeg

 

(Havnt found space for the REL yet hmmm...) ECEBF38B-C956-4E03-B0DB-CCFF5D8D1AA3.thumb.jpeg.3815c7377ab04f5340f78c7aa0b81508.jpeg


First spin: 

 

3809F39F-18E6-4BCA-9A16-0B5DF94D96A5.thumb.jpeg.e496a6c00817f8aa94b4f6838fde719e.jpeg

Your ptp4 lenco looking good👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, The Fresh Prince said:

Domestic bliss system.
Accuphase, Tannoy and a pair of REL Gibraltars to fill things out. It’s a big room- only a third in view.

 Yes, the speaker position could be better, but sounds pretty good
Not for critical listening. 
 

D6DA01CD-BDEC-4C9D-B121-67A0DA2166A6.jpeg

Lovely big open room. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Cheers. It's a tinkerer's dream. I'm sure there will be a few more iterations before I'm done with it 👌

Upgrading the bearing spindle would be one of them!!

Link to post
Share on other sites


Martin Logan aerius, a bit beat up

Kenwood kp 990 w FR3 cartridge

monolithic phono stage or project phono box

bluesound streamer

oppo 103

adcom gfa 545 power amp

nad integrated used as pre temporarily 

and the records, that’s what happens with 50 years of record buying

E8460E9D-434B-421D-8BFE-3B7B08B3D419.jpeg

3FCF2A92-CAF8-4692-8CA0-E0C0A35A0B8C.jpeg

Edited by Alpine Electrocats
Update
  • Like 15
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/12/2020 at 6:24 PM, The Fresh Prince said:

Domestic bliss system.
Accuphase, Tannoy and a pair of REL Gibraltars to fill things out. It’s a big room- only a third in view.

 Yes, the speaker position could be better, but sounds pretty good
Not for critical listening. 
 

D6DA01CD-BDEC-4C9D-B121-67A0DA2166A6.jpeg

Far out! Nice architecture 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


Back on the mono Salt Cellar system but this time with my 1920s tube 330mW UX-171A map with 80 rec tube. I have to drive this amp with a battery headphone amp because input impedance is 400ohms due to the fact it has transformer input. The OPTs secondaries float and they are wired in series for a mono output. Don’t try with any SS amp. 
 

The 12” Beymas are providing bass and FaitalPro  compression drivers on Tractrix Al cast horn. 1st order Xover at 1100hz. At 98db efficient speakers 1/3rd of a watt plays more than loud enough.

 

You have to pick your tracts but at the mo streaming soft rock and sounds good. 

AA3914CC-86D4-4655-B63B-B7849FCC4B07.jpeg

F01DFF48-1F9C-4A75-A5F6-B8C145F8C4B6.jpeg

EEF20A27-2509-415F-99D3-855B0C33E274.jpeg

968E1BBE-DA84-4A38-A260-E7CCDBE1E92F.jpeg

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/12/2020 at 5:54 PM, The Fresh Prince said:

Domestic bliss system.
Accuphase, Tannoy and a pair of REL Gibraltars to fill things out. It’s a big room- only a third in view.

 Yes, the speaker position could be better, but sounds pretty good
Not for critical listening. 
 

D6DA01CD-BDEC-4C9D-B121-67A0DA2166A6.jpeg

A pair of Tannoy Legacy Arden with 15" drivers would be just the ticket in that big room of yours. By the way that floor is stunning!  

Edited by Willmax
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/12/2020 at 2:42 PM, mwhouston said:

Back on the mono Salt Cellar system but this time with my 1920s tube 330mW UX-171A map with 80 rec tube. I have to drive this amp with a battery headphone amp because input impedance is 400ohms due to the fact it has transformer input. The OPTs secondaries float and they are wired in series for a mono output. Don’t try with any SS amp. 
 

The 12” Beymas are providing bass and FaitalPro  compression drivers on Tractrix Al cast horn. 1st order Xover at 1100hz. At 98db efficient speakers 1/3rd of a watt plays more than loud enough.

 

You have to pick your tracts but at the mo streaming soft rock and sounds good. 

AA3914CC-86D4-4655-B63B-B7849FCC4B07.jpeg

F01DFF48-1F9C-4A75-A5F6-B8C145F8C4B6.jpeg

EEF20A27-2509-415F-99D3-855B0C33E274.jpeg

968E1BBE-DA84-4A38-A260-E7CCDBE1E92F.jpeg

If you want to know more about the “Dalek” - 1/3rd of a watt power amp;- https://retro-thermionic.blogspot.com/2013/03/intermezzo-1920-ux-171-power-amp.html

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Willmax said:

A pair of Tannoy Legacy Arden with 15" drivers would be just the ticket in that big room of yours. By the way that floor is stunning!  

 

Thanks. There was a lot of under breath swearing from the floor installer, when I asked for it to be laid on the diagonal. I think it was worth the effort.

 

Yes. A pair of Ardens would be nice- but the key here is “domestic bliss”.

There was a fair amount of eye rolling as my wife and I hauled the Sub and the Accuphase power amp upstairs. I don’t want to push it.

I fear the Ardens, and their room positioning might end in “domestic hell”- or purgatory, at

best!😆

ED855119-E505-443A-9383-92EFE12DA253.jpeg

 

 

Edited by The Fresh Prince
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/12/2020 at 2:42 PM, mwhouston said:

Back on the mono Salt Cellar system but this time with my 1920s tube 330mW UX-171A map with 80 rec tube. I have to drive this amp with a battery headphone amp because input impedance is 400ohms due to the fact it has transformer input. The OPTs secondaries float and they are wired in series for a mono output. Don’t try with any SS amp. 
 

The 12” Beymas are providing bass and FaitalPro  compression drivers on Tractrix Al cast horn. 1st order Xover at 1100hz. At 98db efficient speakers 1/3rd of a watt plays more than loud enough.

 

You have to pick your tracts but at the mo streaming soft rock and sounds good. 

AA3914CC-86D4-4655-B63B-B7849FCC4B07.jpeg

 

EEF20A27-2509-415F-99D3-855B0C33E274.jpeg

 

it looks like something from Dr.Who.
I love it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/12/2020 at 6:24 PM, The Fresh Prince said:

Domestic bliss system.
Accuphase, Tannoy and a pair of REL Gibraltars to fill things out. It’s a big room- only a third in view.

 Yes, the speaker position could be better, but sounds pretty good
Not for critical listening. 
 

D6DA01CD-BDEC-4C9D-B121-67A0DA2166A6.jpeg

 

Love the simplistic deco styling/setup. Shame the speaker positioning could not be opposite the chairs and the Accuphase in a more "visible" position (the glow of those meters should be directly in focus) - but totally understand you can only push the "boundaries" so far

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, patjoy said:

 

Love the simplistic deco styling/setup. Shame the speaker positioning could not be opposite the chairs and the Accuphase in a more "visible" position (the glow of those meters should be directly in focus) - but totally understand you can only push the "boundaries" so far

Thanks,

The speakers are set up so listening whilst at the dining table is optimised 

The chairs are more decorative, than anything else.

The meters are also visible from the dining table.

It’s a compromise.

 

44D76640-2386-4B2D-A129-B0EA3D442A87.jpeg

Edited by The Fresh Prince
  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, The Fresh Prince said:

Thanks,

The speakers are set up so listening whilst at the dining table is optimised 

The chairs are more decorative, than anything else.

The meters are also visible from the dining table.

It’s a compromise.

 

44D76640-2386-4B2D-A129-B0EA3D442A87.jpeg

Looks like I'm having dinner at yours every night 😉

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Not sure if AC/DC over an Angus steak is the way to go. 

An Angus solo while eating an Angus steak seems perfect to me.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

Finally Got my Rack built and re-arranged everything in the cave. Looks and sound very nice after Dirac.....Ignore tele as It mute While the tunes are on....

20201222_201818_HDR.jpg

Hard to ignore the tele with Gal on there :$

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/12/2020 at 9:55 PM, Willmax said:

A pair of Tannoy Legacy Arden with 15" drivers would be just the ticket in that big room of yours. By the way that floor is stunning!  

 

Yeah, I like the 45 degree floor boards.👌

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...