System is sounding better than ever after finally getting rid of a hum I’ve had for years, it surprising how much a hum can effect the SQ.

7D8E3B5B-752A-49E3-BF0B-F186F70FA1D8.jpeg

Edited by awayward

7 hours ago, Tim D said:

My system so far.  I probably listen to vinyl more than anything now and pretty happy with the results.

@audiophile_501 is probably to blame as I never even considered vinyl till I listened to his setup.

Kuzma has replaced the Linn and couldn’t be happier.

2C27C93C-F388-497E-BFC4-9AAFE576FD0F.jpeg

Kuzma ain’t cheap. 

Edited by mwhouston

5 hours ago, awayward said:

System is sounding better than ever after finally getting rid of a hum I’ve had for years, it surprising how much a hum can effect the SQ.

7D8E3B5B-752A-49E3-BF0B-F186F70FA1D8.jpeg

What was the source of the hum? 

11 hours ago, mwhouston said:

What was the source of the hum? 

The hum has been coming from either my PS Audio P10 regenerator or BHK 250 amplifier, the hum volume varied from day to day, from just audible standing next to the equipment rack, to clearly audible 1m away, luckily not audible from the listening chair.
First up I changed modem/router which is on the first floor, my music room is on the ground floor, I’d say the hum reduced by 50%, some sort of RF reduction perhaps?

Then two weeks ago I was a bit concerned about how hot my UpTone PSU 1.2 was, I had my UltrRendu on top of the PSU, seperated by a couple of wooden blocks about 30mm high. I decided to place them along side each other, but the short Ethernet cable didn’t reach the ER from the wall socket now, so I replaced the 5e with a longer Cat 6 UTP cable.

The hum is now basically inaudible, and instantly after the second change the SQ improved.

The TV end, system three, has had some changes. For a while now it’s been “Lagoon II” tube preamp and a Overture chip amp (60W) driving Mark Audio speakers, with EXover at 100hz to a 175W 12” subwoofer. It’s the movie end of town so a subby is needed. Also helps with audio. 

There has always been a faint buzz. Can’t be heard over music or movie but there. Today I replaced the preamp with “Woody Pro” which has also been upgraded. It’s a preamp which uses two 2N3055s. Drives headphones or acts as a preamp. A kind SNAer gave me two low noise Toshiba 2N3055 equivs which replaced the stock variety. Better matched too; hfe; 95/97. 

After a lot of component shuffling and interconnect swapping not only do I have a better sound but NO buzz. Dead quiet the way all my DIY gear generally is. 

8E897B06-8E5C-447C-B831-D686573CACED.jpeg

NAD 3020 used 2N3055 and its compliment I believe, capable of about 120 watts but NAD used them for 20.

34 minutes ago, Batty said:

NAD 3020 used 2N3055 and its compliment I believe, capable of about 120 watts but NAD used them for 20.

These are the toshies I used. Well matched and when check voltages around the trannies they were very close to each other, 

https://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/us/product/bipolar-transistor/bipolar-transistor/detail.2SC5200.html

On 07/12/2019 at 2:38 PM, RankStranger said:

Looks like an exposure

It is indeed an Exposure 2010S2

On 21/12/2019 at 1:11 PM, mwhouston said:

Dead quiet the way all my DIY gear generally is.

Agree with that.

A few things missing 😢7423E0F1-33CF-4B9C-9993-2AE00952FDC5.jpeg

1 minute ago, elcamry said:

Quiet Xmas party ?

Very quiet without the Illuminators, subs and fish tank.😥

7 minutes ago, joz said:

Very quiet without the Illuminators, subs and fish tank.😥

Careful, don't crank those up loud trying to get the volume of the illuminators or you'll have yet more speaker repairs on your hands.

2 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Careful, don't crank those up loud trying to get the volume of the illuminators or you'll have yet more speaker repairs on your hands.

I'm actually surprised how good they sound.

But will not get anywhere near Illuminator SPL levels.

49 minutes ago, joz said:

Wow, what a big open room. 

Getting ready for some early morning vinyl playback. Playing with the Meridian M6 actives over the Xmas break.

RH109651.jpg

On 24/12/2019 at 1:38 PM, joz said:

oh wow joz ! handy to have this stuff spare ! old m&K sub ? and those very well made speakers had lying around ? id use the excuse for a larger screen to fill out the space :D 

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

oh wow joz ! handy to have this stuff spare ! old m&K sub ? and those very well made speakers had lying around ? id use the excuse for a larger screen to fill out the space :D 

Yep very lucky, it’s an Ascension sub😊
If the speakers were staying I’d definitely get a bigger screen.

Posted (edited)

y4m49W43Lhe8Bo0CjXzJ02SLmoKbc71jScvO-eHI

y4mh4eA9zWVLQCAgyk-r1Q9aEUXLsUbW__876r-T

new year, new setup

Happy New year SNA!

Edited by sjay

On 25/12/2019 at 1:51 PM, betty boop said:

Are the fish tanks getting refurbished as well???????

Regards Cazzesman

22 hours ago, cazzesman said:

Are the fish tanks getting refurbished as well???????

Regards Cazzesman

No more display tank.

years ago after a very minor leak I said if I have ever disassemble the tank again , that’s it!

1 hour ago, joz said:

No more display tank.

years ago after a very minor leak I said if I have ever disassemble the tank again , that’s it!

Fair enough joz, fully understand,  luckily your were distracted b4 going to work, hate think otherwise.    I have to say it was an awesome display!  You really did well and know how to entertain with it.....but unfortunately every time I look forward coming I wanted to see that tank, it was like your signature and i always look forward seeing that tank,  very sad that it had to go!   Hope you kept some pictures too no doubt.....

B & W Zeppelin corner loaded with IPhone as a source to stream...... having a ball, impressive sound within it’s limits....👏

F730B61B-034F-4317-9680-7E0ABDCB5415.jpeg