2 hours ago, misternavi said:

I never heard of it before and had to search online for more info. 
Wowsers! The internal layout looks impressive. 

$$$$$$$+$

Regards Cazzesman

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

one addition to the system - plenty of time to enjoy during lockdown.      

My current system!         Recorded handheld on my iphone with inbuilt microphone...so take it with a big dose of salt.

solace away from the girls  

Looks like Dual Xeon ASUS server board.

server-inside3.thumb.jpg.f959f51ebe67a356f13be4720092c5e4.jpgboardfront_575px.jpg.7d2243acfdd1fd8eef8f7f852341fddf.jpg

Edit: now that I look at reviews it is stated as that board.

Very nice thing with heaps of processing power, and I like seeing Duelund caps in there :wub:

Edited by muon*
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, misternavi said:

I never heard of it before and had to search online for more info. 
Wowsers! The internal layout looks impressive. 

It's certainly good:-) having said that there is always the other tweak around the corner haha. the taiko is more than the sum of it's individual parts muon. according to a lot of ppl - it's swung many from analogue to digital

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plasmod3 said:

It's certainly good:-) having said that there is always the other tweak around the corner haha. the taiko is more than the sum of it's individual parts muon. according to a lot of ppl - it's swung many from analogue to digital

I can see that looking at the blurb and the hardware.

Edit: granted some CD players and DACs both old and newer high end and modded have done this with some people also.

I have no doubt it does sound very nice indeed.

I'm a hardware fancier, so my focus was on that aspect and the reason to find the motherboard used in it :)

Edited by muon*
4 hours ago, muon* said:

Looks like Dual Xeon ASUS server board.

server-inside3.thumb.jpg.f959f51ebe67a356f13be4720092c5e4.jpgboardfront_575px.jpg.7d2243acfdd1fd8eef8f7f852341fddf.jpg

Edit: now that I look at reviews it is stated as that board.

Very nice thing with heaps of processing power, and I like seeing Duelund caps in there :wub:

Is that blocks of wood in there though? and if so why? just... why?

1 hour ago, Hydrology said:

Looks like layered copper.

I thought it was panzerholz (tankwood)?

1 hour ago, bob_m_54 said:

Is that blocks of wood in there though? and if so why? just... why?

WHY? 

Resonance control perhaps?

Dissipation of unwanted mechanical resonance?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Aperalim said:

I thought it was panzerholz (tankwood)?

WHY? 

Resonance control perhaps?

Dissipation of unwanted mechanical resonance?

Absorbing moisture, swelling... Timber doesn't belong inside musical gear.. timbre maybe, but not timber

Edited by bob_m_54
2 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

Timber doesn't belong inside musical gear.. timbre maybe, but not timber

Do you understand what panzerholz is?

not exactly a standard type of timber...

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Aperalim said:

Do you understand what panzerholz is?

not exactly a standard type of timber...

I haven't found the piece of equipment yet, to see what it is. What is the brand and model of the item?

Looking at a close up of the pic posted above, it certainly looks like organic timber.

server-inside3.jpg.21318d4b0e9334ccef0cf28baaa8e5c2.jpg

2 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

Looking at a close up of the pic posted above, it certainly looks like organic timber.

I am pretty sure it is Panzerholz.

13 minutes ago, Aperalim said:

I am pretty sure it is Panzerholz.

Yep, phenolic impregnated plywood.

Edit: actually not ply, but compressed wood fibres.. Festholz is the plywood version

Second Edit: well it could be laminates, but not cross layed as in plywood. I bet it stinks like Phenolic board when you machine it too. I have a 25mm X 500mm X 400mm piece of Phenolic board in the back of the shed somewhere, which is made similarly, except instead of timber plys, it uses cotton fabric.

Edited by bob_m_54

3 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

well it could be laminates, but not cross layed as in plywood. I bet it stinks like Phenolic board when you machine it too. I have a 25mm X 500mm X 400mm piece of Phenolic board in the back of the shed somewhere, which is made similarly, except instead of timber plys, it uses cotton fabric.

I have been using various implementations of Panzerholz in my system since 2010 after meeting Rainier Weber from Kaiser Acoustics in Germany who pioneered its use in constructing the extraordinary cabinets for his outstanding Kawero speakers.  I use it in its laminated form in equipment supports like the Pyon Sounds supports like the Spira – see attached.

PYON SOUND Spira.3.jpg

PyonSound DPS03TANKWD.JPG

PyonSound PWC03GOLD01.JPG

Edited by Aperalim
duplicated images deleted
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, Be Quiet...Listen said:

A quick snap from a visit to a dear friends. He has some seriously good sound going on currently I can tell you! 

DC235B6B-482B-43C8-8631-7A57DF04F162.jpeg

That's the way to do it with 4 drastically different speakers

• Like 1

Good Evening Folks.

There's been some new additions into the fold...  three sets of speakers arrived home with me last night, after a whirlwind jaunt to Gosford and Sydney.  Two pair were bought second hand from fellow members here...  The JBL's from @Galactic Soap,  and the TDL's from @spayne59...  the Marantz were gifted by my brother, his wife being overjoyed by their removal from the lounge room after some years.  They have no grills...  and one 15" woofer has holes in it...  I really don't blame her for wanting them gone...  and I was wrapped to pick up some said 15" woofers.

I'm not going into too much detail right now...  I've had a day of swapping around and now I'm sitting back listening and typing. 

It's a modest step up in quality for me...  and cool to have a measure of comparison with the speakers I have been messing around with already.  Although it's early listening days...  my ears must have time to adjust to the new sounds...  the speakers I have modified are not lacking as much as I had feared...  they actually stand up OK.  After a day of listening, I am very keen to finish off my unfinshed sets and get everything presentable, as they will all be in constant rotation.

I have more detail with the new speakers, more refined...  and I know everything is as it should be...  being factory speakers.

I think with a few more tweaks on my speaker modifactions, I will have a very diverse and satisfactory range of quality, low end listening options.

JBL 4301B Control Monitors.

IMG_2020-10-13-20-24-31-666.jpg.36a90c48962313091ca25c2ebe75917e.jpg

These are first impressions...  Flac files through the Rotel amp.

I've wanted to hear JBL's as they get good wraps for Rock and Metal.  I found them lacking a bit in the bottom end...  which is no surprise for a smaller two way.  It's strange...  as they sound very good in the low end with digital music, which Asiri primarily listens to.  Not as big and beefy obviously...  but not too shabby, very clear and precise.

Maybe they will prefer the TT set up, which I haven't listened to yet.

I have thought about making cabinets for the Marantz 15 inchers...  maybe a good match with the JBL's.

Where these stood out for me though, was with some Leonard Cohen, Nora, Beck and David Grier.

In Beck's Morning Phase opening track the echoes were drifting and floating in the air around me.

With David Grier's Two Turns Home, sublime, twin violins playing off each other was very impressive.

TDL RTL 3's

IMG_2020-10-14-19-43-34-024.jpg.e9e5ad9c47758c0eb1fdc38148808798.jpg

What a wonderful sound from this pair...  warm and inviting with punch and feeling.

I was a little surprised by the pretty basic crossovers...  and I think the first order of business is to upgrade there.

A few weeks ago I was ripping CD's to the hard drives.  Now, with the addition of the Sony CD deck, I'm burning all my files to CD.

I'm currently listeing to CD's through the Rotel into the TDL's.

I will get a lot of enjoyment from this set up.  I'm very happy with the laid back tunes I've been playing tonight.

Anne Bisson's  'Portraits and Perfumes'  Carmen Gomez Trio's  'Thousand Shades of Blue'  and another listen to Grier's  'Evocative'  and right now Ben Ottewell's  'Shapes and Shadows'...  just lovely.

Marantz LS-20's

IMG_2020-10-13-20-27-41-872.jpg.9cb3ff46a57c36c005921406e601409e.jpg

Salvaged from ex police equipment in Sydney.  One woofer requires re-coning...  both will be done.

I will restore them, they're a bit rough...  but may dual purpose the woofers, as mentioned.

IMG_2020-10-14-19-42-10-696.jpg.8f63677458734e363f74c3c42e7edf70.jpg

Sorry 'bout the light...  I'll get some tomorrow with the day light.

IMG_2020-10-14-19-45-07-462.jpg.bc22e769969354cf395b416cee638ab2.jpg

Speakers.  Speakers, speakers speakers...  speakers...  spea...

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 17

Cooking with GAS!

With the newly serviced Wadia 16 being over 20kg, I was not sure if the glass shelf on top of the rack would support it safely.

And with the player being so large that none of my small tables was deep enough, I had to use my BBQ stand for it (the BBQ unit itself being away for service).

Sounds good.

It is the best CD player I have ever had here and I have been fixing CD player for the last 5 years and always have 20+ units in stock.

Maybe Krell KPS-28c was close.

P.S. Does anyone know how much weight the Bell O'ghetti glass shelves can support?

IMG_0851.thumb.JPG.2329e87095dea40cec31f579cf56ae83.JPG

• Like 10
8 minutes ago, muon* said:

I'd avoid glass shelving altogether.

Yes....isn't 'resonant free' the key to racks  and shelving? Wouldn't think that anything glass would achieve this.

• Like 1

After three weeks with a Salt Cellar mono setup I’m back on the Holton and horns in stereo. I’ll probably only last a few weeks and I’ll have to put a SC setup back in. Enjoying both setups for what they bring. 

5D0E735E-B532-4479-A33E-B4063426026A.jpeg

8FBAE572-E534-4C4B-BEC4-9200A33197A5.jpeg

3D55793B-9B53-4191-AC9E-101D4346D9BC.jpeg

• Like 4

Took my main speakers to my mates to do some measurements for the additional azurahorn last nite.

Using my son's 3 inch temporary atm, sounds amazing, would be better if they sit on stands...20201018_102434.thumb.jpg.681cd2b519d26ac7537a9f71a00b958d.jpg 

Edited by dwbasement
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

Took my main speakers to my mates to do some measurements for the additional azurahorn last nite.

Using my son's 3 inch temporary atm, sounds amazing, would be better if they sit on stands...20201018_102434.thumb.jpg.681cd2b519d26ac7537a9f71a00b958d.jpg 

stands for sure. 

54 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

awwww.......Minion Tim (and his brother) 🙂

Rearranged my stereo/home theatre lounge room, so I could try ht bypass with my newly acquired I32.

Wish I had of known about ht bypass before, but it was a happy accident that I bought the I32 for other reasons and it just happened to have that feature.

Seeing as my dwelling is small and the lounge room has been shrunken more with my new stereo setup, I doubt I'll change this setup. I really want to declutter.

AVR is in that spot only until I'm happy I've finished with connections, as it's a pain to take it out and in of cubby hole.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=6052995cfa95af68

28A649C0-D98E-4773-BEBA-C643EAEAA956.jpeg

Edited by Esoterica
  • Like 3