• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

one addition to the system - plenty of time to enjoy during lockdown.      

My current system!         Recorded handheld on my iphone with inbuilt microphone...so take it with a big dose of salt.

solace away from the girls  

Playing Bowie-‘nothing has changed’ loud !!

only upgrade since I posted here are 3 pair of Audience AU 24se interconnects

speaker cables next,then done for a while !!!

4662407E-0030-4514-81D0-0D7587135B6E.jpeg

Edited by SimonS
  • Like 14
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, SimonS said:

Playing Bowie-‘nothing has changed’ loud !!

only upgrade since I posted here are 3 pair of Audience AU 24se interconnects

speaker cables next,then done for a while !!!

4662407E-0030-4514-81D0-0D7587135B6E.jpeg

Looks awesome, congrats on putting all this together!

40 minutes ago, SimonS said:

Thanks mate,it’s been a while in development-sounding how I want-just an awful lot of cables

The cables are well hidden at least

4 minutes ago, wen said:

there is a thread, show us your cables, could be a challenge,the mess may belie the sound

Ok,I will try and crawl behind tomorrow and get a shot and post it

it will definitely embarrass me,but,oh well !!!

2 minutes ago, SimonS said:

Ok,I will try and crawl behind tomorrow and get a shot and post it

it will definitely embarrass me,but,oh well !!!

Sat here counting

power cables-10

interconnects-9 pairs

speaker cables-3 pairs

oh dear

5 minutes ago, wen said:

sounds fine , will be a challenge for the OCD brigade:poke:

Tidiness is impossible with my set up

i am sure I will get advice to the contrary,but I know it’s not possible

i just live with it and enjoy the sound

• Like 1
9 hours ago, SimonS said:

Tidiness is impossible with my set up

i am sure I will get advice to the contrary,but I know it’s not possible

i just live with it and enjoy the sound

Tidiness = crosstalk. 

• Like 1

Replaced my input tubes in my BHK pre and power amps this morning, tubes had about 3000 hours on them, that little extra bit of sparkle and clarity is back. It’s funny how it is a long slow deterioration that you don’t notice, anyway sounding excellent this morning.

6FEF2386-EF4D-44E9-B29E-896FDF676A04.jpeg

• Like 9
30 minutes ago, awayward said:

Replaced my input tubes in my BHK pre and power amps this morning, tubes had about 3000 hours on them, that little extra bit of sparkle and clarity is back. It’s funny how it is a long slow deterioration that you don’t notice, anyway sounding excellent this morning.

6FEF2386-EF4D-44E9-B29E-896FDF676A04.jpeg

Second hand tube tester may help. 

44 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Giving the new Innuos ZEN a run-in.

1748274968_System-October4.thumb.jpg.2f88331f282040e14798780a7880add1.jpg

just bought one a few months ago, very happy camper 

• Like 1
On 04/10/2020 at 4:13 PM, Hydrology said:

Giving the new Innuos ZEN a run-in.

1748274968_System-October4.thumb.jpg.2f88331f282040e14798780a7880add1.jpg

Is there an independent review of these speakers. Not a technical overview but genuine review.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Is there an independent review of these speakers. Not a technical overview but genuine review.  

I know that stock availability has been a struggle this year - Im just wondering if this is the reason there hasnt been anything out in the wild yet.

I do remember not seeing a MoFi turntable review for months after they were released too and wondering why so.

• Like 1

Evening Folks.

A few changes still taking place here...  things are beginning to come together.

A new Sony CD deck...  recently purchased from @Berkel  Thanks mate...  loving it.

I apologise for not informing you of it's safe arrival,  it slipped my mind.

It was damaged a little in transit...  the left, front side was dented from a compression blow.  Not too bad...  but not good.  I took it to the panel beater next door and he did some quick handywork for $20...  it came up pretty good after a couple of coats and sanding back.

Here it is in situ...

IMG_2020-10-06-22-27-45-228.jpg.dcecd7c855ca3b2a7a2f5bec8e607746.jpg

The white specs are dust only...  the finish is very nice.  I might spray the top and sides of the front panel...  covering the worn edge.

I jumped on this deck after seeing @Darren69's words of endorsement...  and I'm glad I did.  It poops all over the $2 Yamaha.

The sound is open and detailed...  earning a permanent place on the new stereo rack.

I haven't had a serious critical listen, or comparison with the Yamy yet...  there has been a lot going on trying to bring some cohesion to my room and system.

The stereo rack was assembled today...  taking around 2 months...  a recycled frame with MDF shelving and platforms.  The top shelf is reinforced with a slab of 18mm ply.  The TT platform is sandstone.

6mm padding under all shelves.  Whites Anti-Vibration Pads under all platforms.  Felt feet on all decks ( except the TT ).

IMG_2020-10-06-21-45-06-051.jpg.3a1ea378b715fca09109a01e1dd68507.jpg

Hey @stevoz...  The new wall hanging mate.

The latest surgery combines a no name, soft dome tweeter, a Panasonic mid driver and small, no name bass driver...  with a Sony 3 way crossover, in the top enclosure...

...  and a Sony bass driver, with a simple low pass filter, in the bottom enclosure.

Affectionately know by @Billy Shears as 'FrankenSpeakers'...  which I just love...  and may use for my speaker builds ( permission pending...  of course ).

Gotta say...  They don't sound too bad at all.  Rear ported...  I use cut pieces of pool noodle as bungs if needed.  The bass is pretty good...  it does get a little wild with extra bass...  hence the bungs.

The mids and highs are very nice...  the crossover has a volume pot for the tweeter, but it hangs aroung the normal position.  The vocals are clear and punchy.

IMG_2020-10-06-21-41-46-561.jpg.acfbc830ae06432f8448911067041f15.jpg

IMG_2020-10-06-21-43-12-198.jpg.9847a426dec5a13a3d4644be8182bc47.jpg

The TT isn't fired up yet...  I'm giving the PHO-8 a 24 hour warm up.

IMG_2020-10-06-21-46-06-130.jpg.dcea46d8ad6ecf88d93fd6dfbda68e39.jpg

I'm heading to the Central Coast next week to pick up some TDL speakers bought from @spayne59 recently.  They are waiting at my Brother's place.  Then I'm off to Sydney to collect some JBL monitors bought from @Galactic Soap.  

I also have a pair of Celef Mini Pro Monitors waiting in Sydney, from ol' mate Billy...  but they will have to wait a few more weeks.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

Thanks @Billy Shears

Indeed having fun...  FrankenSpeakers sound so good, they will get a full work over...  Internal bracing, new front and side baffles, and new rear panel added as external bracing.  Not sure on colour scheme yet, keeping the black sides...  Maybe blue for the baffles.

8 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Evening Folks.

A few changes still taking place here...  things are beginning to come together.

A new Sony CD deck...  recently purchased from @Berkel  Thanks mate...  loving it.

It was damaged a little in transit...  the left, front side was dented from a compression blow.  Not too bad...  but not good.  I took it to the panel beater next door and he did some quick handywork for $20...  it came up pretty good after a couple of coats and sanding back.

Here it is in situ...

The white specs are dust only...  the finish is very nice.  I might spray the top and sides of the front panel...  covering the worn edge.

I jumped on this deck after seeing @Darren69's words of endorsement...  and I'm glad I did.  It poops all over the $2 Yamaha.

The sound is open and detailed...  earning a permanent place on the new stereo rack.

I haven't had a serious critical listen, or comparison with the Yamy yet...  there has been a lot going on trying to bring some cohesion to my room and system.

The stereo rack was assembled today...  taking around 2 months...  a recycled frame with MDF shelving and platforms.  The top shelf is reinforced with a slab of 18mm ply.  The TT platform is sandstone.

6mm padding under all shelves.  Whites Anti-Vibration Pads under all platforms.  Felt feet on all decks ( except the TT ).

The latest surgery combines a no name, soft dome tweeter, a Panasonic mid driver and small, no name bass driver...  with a Sony 3 way crossover, in the top enclosure...

...  and a Sony bass driver, with a simple low pass filter, in the bottom enclosure.

Affectionately know by @Billy Shears as 'FrankenSpeakers'...  which I just love...  and may use for my speaker builds ( permission pending...  of course ).

Gotta say...  They don't sound too bad at all.  Rear ported...  I use cut pieces of pool noodle as bungs if needed.  The bass is pretty good...  it does get a little wild with extra bass...  hence the bungs.

The mids and highs are very nice...  the crossover has a volume pot for the tweeter, but it hangs aroung the normal position.  The vocals are clear and punchy.

I'm heading to the Central Coast next week to pick up some TDL speakers bought from @spayne59 recently.  They are waiting at my Brother's place.  Then I'm off to Sydney to collect some JBL monitors bought from @Galactic Soap.  

I also have a pair of Celef Mini Pro Monitors waiting in Sydney, from ol' mate Billy...  but they will have to wait a few more weeks.

Its definitely coming together there mate and man, you got it baaad, haha. What are the speakers over to your left?  Subs? I think you're going to love the JBLs.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Evening Folks.

Here it is in situ...

Hi Ant.

Glad to hear that the Sony cdp arrived and you're happy with it.

However it's disappointing about the damage, even though it's relatively minor. Bloody couriers don't care about careful handling. Your set up looks great !

Dennis

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Darren69 said:

What are the speakers over to your left?  Subs?

Nah Daz.  No subs in da house just yet.

They are two vintage cabinets I bought at the Tip Shop for 10 bucks.

They had Hokutone drivers, maybe 50 years old.  Getting a loud crack from them now...  so replaced with Sony bass drivers and AR tweeters... added AR two way crossovers... braced the cabinets and painted.

Sound is ok... Lacking in the mids... I'm making some small driver baffles on a stand that I can play around with.  They just sit on top of the speakers.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

16 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Looks great Ant and that left picture is beautifully level.....all is right with the world!:thumb:xD

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MachineMastering said:

Ensemble pa1 upgrade drivers and big one 80 s diy infinity inside rs b crossover works 

Great speakers.  I have a pair of Ensemble Elysia speakers that I enjoy greatly.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lx4man said:

No Highland bagpipe music for me .....but I have got the Edinburgh's back in rotation ...20201008_201741.thumb.jpg.41b06eb0f56e0098930560b96b200ddf.jpg👌

How do find the stereo from this unorthodox arrangement of Glenairs?

Is the sound-stage broad enough? 😉

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, rockeater said:

How do find the stereo from this unorthodox arrangement of Glenairs?

Is the sound-stage broad enough? 😉

The unorthodox arrangement of glenairs stops me finding the door to my balcony more than anything , I think their patiently waiting there to get back into roatation 😂  hook them all up together and I have the "tannoy prestige soundbar" 

Finally got the TT and records out today in my new apartment. Recycled retaining wall/firewood turntable stand, works for now 👍 Tried to get some of the Thredbo Valley view in shot with the panorama photo but the last snow remnants make it super bright out there.

IMG_20201010_174525.thumb.jpg.6816f3ed82bd3be2b8307753b6ed7aa6.jpg

IMG_20201010_180319.thumb.jpg.fde78c475ead3c318d3ae2828de9af7e.jpg

Edited by SkipEsquire
Panorama photos exist in 2020
  • Like 10
On 27/09/2020 at 8:51 PM, Plasmod3 said:

theres a bit in there.

Melco switch powered up uptone jps

Cybershaft OP21a with LPS supply

CH precision C1 mono dac with mono X1 power supply

CH precision M1.1 Amps

Taiko Extreme

Magico M3 speakers with MPODs

Signalgroundsolutions Zebrano grounding station

YG Acoustic  rack

Taralabs grandmaster interconnects and speaker cables

Siltech triple crown power loom with Siltech Octopus double crown.

Hi @Plasmod3

And what is your verdict of this Unicorn of Digital Sources?

Regards Cazzesman

32 minutes ago, cazzesman said:

Hi @Plasmod3

And what is your verdict of this Unicorn of Digital Sources?

Regards Cazzesman

I never heard of it before and had to search online for more info. 
Wowsers! The internal layout looks impressive.