On 20/04/2017 at 9:11 PM, sjay said:

y4mTqG4uRtYslxtKCWQAoAkfoDkqKSgmUFU4nmOe

OMG my dream speakers..  definitely the best I’ve ever heard in 25 years of very serious interest in hi fi.

On 15/08/2019 at 10:41 AM, audiohippo said:

listening to some tunes with the room swung around the other way. Everything is not in it’s final position or cabled up.

43F8B2A7-B1DE-4553-A32D-658A5FDB744E.thumb.jpeg.83774c45bc7392e65395ebcdad5ac580.jpeg

Wow that’s a spectacular setup

Tell you what, these little @SGR Audio 4 way speakers are simply amazing!

Massive sound,  pin point imaging, huge soundstage.
Currently listening to Annie Lennox - Everybody Hurts.

Im blown away by what I’m experiencing right now from such a small, one box solution (active) speaker.

FB96C5BF-B09D-465F-B50A-55E86F619F85.jpeg

Edited by Yamaha_man

5 hours ago, Yamaha_man said:

Im blown away by what I’m experiencing right now from such a small, one box solution (active) speaker.

You say "small"?

Now that's just rubbing it in.

45 minutes ago, Satanica said:

You say "small"?

Now that's just rubbing it in.

Small in stature and footprint, massive in quality sound.

Can’t match yamaha_man’s awesome system but does the job.

35199160-ACF2-4DF6-A2AE-4DA9CA0FD14D.jpeg

Edited by awayward

20 hours ago, awayward said:

Can’t match yamaha_man’s awesome system but does the job.

35199160-ACF2-4DF6-A2AE-4DA9CA0FD14D.jpeg

Those speaker cables could swallow small children.  Awesome....

Guest Muon N'

Flat ribbons.

3 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Flat ribbons.

Yes Mike Lenehan FoilFlex, revealing and natural sounding.

6CEFCFCF-4397-440F-A042-990B5314A48F.jpeg

So I may have gone shopping this afternoon..

D76846D9-B0D6-4AD6-A26C-BBFD65E1C328.thumb.jpeg.3e97e131ad95ca3dab93ee2b29935188.jpeg

69D0B628-32F3-43C1-9451-B46FFFBB34B3.thumb.jpeg.3097beba08c99954f8844415a706e21d.jpeg

Note the puny Primaluna HP with its KT150 valves cowering in the background. 😂

Line Magnetic now in place, biased and warming up/burning in nicely. 15” MacBook Pro for scale. 

989F2350-34B0-418C-A9D9-9086A640733A.thumb.jpeg.f5dfa7d67fe4b4a84537d6c7e7cdfefe.jpeg

AEC90C7F-0403-440F-9F72-D04652D74E5C.thumb.jpeg.614dc6ab4ab03be399519f3a97be4ddb.jpeg

3 hours ago, Rocketfrogs said:

Those speaker cables could swallow small children.  Awesome....

And those who believe that cable support are pointless, I can say that they sure make vacuuming easier!

8 minutes ago, rockeater said:

And those who believe that cable support are pointless, I can say that they sure make vacuuming easier!

And reduce the the risk of a size 10 squashing them.

1 hour ago, caminperth said:

Note the puny Primaluna HP with its KT150 valves cowering in the background. 😂

Line Magnetic now in place, biased and warming up/burning in nicely. 15” MacBook Pro for scale. 

989F2350-34B0-418C-A9D9-9086A640733A.thumb.jpeg.f5dfa7d67fe4b4a84537d6c7e7cdfefe.jpeg

AEC90C7F-0403-440F-9F72-D04652D74E5C.thumb.jpeg.614dc6ab4ab03be399519f3a97be4ddb.jpeg

Still want to hear that, 

On 31/10/2019 at 11:15 AM, Sinewave said:

OMG my dream speakers..  definitely the best I’ve ever heard in 25 years of very serious interest in hi fi.

I have to agree as they really are reference level monitors.

I forget how good these MarkAudio 8” 12P drivers are in their deeper designed box.  Probably the first time being driven by my DIY 150W Class  D monoblocks. 

On a frequency test good output at 30hz but you could tell they are just starting to roll off at 40hZ. Low enough for me. Add the speed of these drivers to the dynamics of Class D and you have a fast, responsive system, good bass and extremely coherent sound. They are waisted around my TV sound in system 3.

I’ll get stoned ( rocks thrown that is) for this but these have to be the best single driver solution around. I’ve used Fostex in the past. I see Decware use the 5” in their DNA boxes get even lower bass with an internal horn. 

B2FB43EE-A5A5-4362-A408-FA325B273A3D.jpeg

I decided recently, perhaps as a result of post retirement stress disorder (a well-known cause of upgraditis BTW), to investigate some new gear....

I wanted the overall sound to be closer to full range, both for stereo and HT purposes, but I didn't want to lose the detail and tonal accuracy previously provided by my vintage Missions, and that was the hardest (and eventually the final) part of the journey.

I had previously experienced the gorgeous midrange  provided by my Accuphase C280 preamp, going into a crystal clear Halcro MC50 power amp. Superb sound, but I also needed easier functionality for integrated stereo / HT. After lots of research etc, I auditioned and eventually bought a new BHK hybrid preamp, which I coupled with a PS Audio S300 power amp - a very resolving and potent combination, with great lower end texture. (Thanks to Hi Fi Collector for allowing me to audition stuff at home).

The above gear was very satisfying, but I also wanted a bigger soundstage and musical 'presence', which I had only previously experienced from floor standers.

After a bit of homework into open baffle designs, and a few other concepts, I ended up buying a pair of Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo's (thanks to Bill at McLean's for his help, and to Neil ( @blybo ) for his ideas around placement and the sonic character of this design).

Once settled in, I was quite blown away by the scale, detail, sweetness and sense of 'being at the concert'. I had read about the Spatials' ability to project sound not only from across the entire front wall, but from the deep sides, but was quite shocked at how powerful this effect has been. I've lost count of the number of times I've got up to check the front door, or to answer the phone... Quite eery but also very impressive. Obviously room design and speaker placement is critical too.

As you can see, I've gone about things in the reverse order normally recommended (ie get the speakers right first), and I was simultaneously juggling HT and stereo requirements, as well as ergonomic ones, all of which had the potential for a sad ending. I was fortunate in having a bit of time to consider options and possibilities. I think an important factor in making good decisions is keeping an open mind, and to be prepared to start again from scratch if it's not going where you want.

Anyway, hope you like the pic (sorry, no footsies..). 

PS Local Adelaidians are welcome to come over for a listen.

001.jpg

1 hour ago, gemini07 said:

I decided recently, perhaps as a result of post retirement stress disorder (a well-known cause of upgraditis BTW), to investigate some new gear....

I wanted the overall sound to be closer to full range, both for stereo and HT purposes, but I didn't want to lose the detail and tonal accuracy previously provided by my vintage Missions, and that was the hardest (and eventually the final) part of the journey.

I had previously experienced the gorgeous midrange  provided by my Accuphase C280 preamp, going into a crystal clear Halcro MC50 power amp. Superb sound, but I also needed easier functionality for integrated stereo / HT. After lots of research etc, I auditioned and eventually bought a new BHK hybrid preamp, which I coupled with a PS Audio S300 power amp - a very resolving and potent combination, with great lower end texture. (Thanks to Hi Fi Collector for allowing me to audition stuff at home).

The above gear was very satisfying, but I also wanted a bigger soundstage and musical 'presence', which I had only previously experienced from floor standers.

After a bit of homework into open baffle designs, and a few other concepts, I ended up buying a pair of Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo's (thanks to Bill at McLean's for his help, and to Neil ( @blybo ) for his ideas around placement and the sonic character of this design).

Once settled in, I was quite blown away by the scale, detail, sweetness and sense of 'being at the concert'. I had read about the Spatials' ability to project sound not only from across the entire front wall, but from the deep sides, but was quite shocked at how powerful this effect has been. I've lost count of the number of times I've got up to check the front door, or to answer the phone... Quite eery but also very impressive. Obviously room design and speaker placement is critical too.

As you can see, I've gone about things in the reverse order normally recommended (ie get the speakers right first), and I was simultaneously juggling HT and stereo requirements, as well as ergonomic ones, all of which had the potential for a sad ending. I was fortunate in having a bit of time to consider options and possibilities. I think an important factor in making good decisions is keeping an open mind, and to be prepared to start again from scratch if it's not going where you want.

Anyway, hope you like the pic (sorry, no footsies..). 

PS Local Adelaidians are welcome to come over for a listen.

001.jpg

Elegant. 

On 04/11/2019 at 11:45 AM, mwhouston said:

I forget how good these MarkAudio 8” 12P drivers are in their deeper designed box.  Probably the first time being driven by my DIY 150W Class  D monoblocks. 

On a frequency test good output at 30hz but you could tell they are just starting to roll off at 40hZ. Low enough for me. Add the speed of these drivers to the dynamics of Class D and you have a fast, responsive system, good bass and extremely coherent sound. They are waisted around my TV sound in system 3.

I’ll get stoned ( rocks thrown that is) for this but these have to be the best single driver solution around. I’ve used Fostex in the past. I see Decware use the 5” in their DNA boxes get even lower bass with an internal horn. 

B2FB43EE-A5A5-4362-A408-FA325B273A3D.jpeg

Listening to these has been one of the most funnest listening afternoon I’ve had for a while. Still can’t get over how much bass they produce. Very polite and controlled though but extended and deep. 

So I took this punt largely blind. Initial impressions, halfway between Krell and Electrocompaniet.

Effortlessly drives my speakers for its 60 x 2 @ 4ohm

49BA1913-678A-4DD9-98CB-2E03C1CED58B.jpeg

4F9046B0-04FC-4F2D-9DC9-38A6E189AE48.jpeg

Edited by furtherpale

Geez mate, looks like someone has left a massive log in front of your Luxman....

Great looking system though. I imagine the synergy between the amp and the Dali's would be superb. 

What is in the middle shelf?

1 minute ago, gemini07 said:

Geez mate, looks like someone has left a massive log in front of your Luxman....

Great looking system though. I imagine the synergy between the amp and the Dali's would be superb. 

What is in the middle shelf?

HaHa... it’s the driftwood log my bearded dragon used as her basking spot.

The spot above the amp is empty (I removed the glass shelf for ventilation), above that is the Node2 and the power supply for the turntable (planar 6).

I’m going to seperate the stands and tidy the cables over the weekend.

Happy Friday everyone!

20191108_201129.thumb.jpg.c877cae383c82e9ac216780092cbeea5.jpg

Edited by Willmax
Double post